Becoming a YT celeb?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hey yters,

This afternoon I was recognized by someone and I wasn't as excited about it as I thought I would be.

I've only been youtubing for about 8 months and I was kind of taken by surprise, I wasn't expecting to get recognized so soon and more importantly, it got me thinking about what happens as you become even more well known. It was nice to be recognized but I was also feeling a little weird for some reason... Maybe it was just because it was the first time it happened but also, I started to think that I might not want that recognition. I really enjoy making and sharing videos but just thinking that there's a chance of becoming a youtube celeb makes me anxious.

Anyone else have these mixed feelings? And any advice on this topic?

Wreckless Eating

YouTube Space LA Alumni
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
As someone who’s been on YouTube for years, I’ve always tried to keep my youtube life separate from my real life. Aside from vidcon every year, I’ll probably only get recognized a few times a year and then all I have to do is take a selfie with a fan. Late last year things changed. I had some medical issues and was hospitalized for about six months. The hospital staff treated me different bevpcause of myYouTube channel. My doctor/surgeon even asked for a shoutout in a video. The best part about it was the fan support. They sent lots of messages wishing me well, some came to visit and they would order food and have it delivered to me after seeing pics of the hospital food on my Facebook page.

Last edited:

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey yters,

This afternoon I was recognized by someone and I wasn't as excited about it as I thought I would be.

I've only been youtubing for about 8 months and I was kind of taken by surprise, I wasn't expecting to get recognized so soon and more importantly, it got me thinking about what happens as you become even more well known. It was nice to be recognized but I was also feeling a little weird for some reason... Maybe it was just because it was the first time it happened but also, I started to think that I might not want that recognition. I really enjoy making and sharing videos but just thinking that there's a chance of becoming a youtube celeb makes me anxious.

Anyone else have these mixed feelings? And any advice on this topic?
It's too late, there's no going back now! Just kidding.

We love meeting fans and it's probably just as exciting for us as it is for them when we get recognized. We're actually more comfortable when people approach us and talk to us, instead of the ones who obviously recognize us but are too shy to approach. My daughters don't expect to get recognized, but just about anywhere there are kids, they get recognized.

As a parent I do often wonder about their future, particularly what will happen as they become adults and all their fans are grown up. Will they still get approached by strangers? That part is a little more worrisome. But we've never had a bad experience and the fans have been awesome and respectful of our privacy.

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have been recognized only once at a non car event. I was in my daily and picking up a part at the ford dealership. I saw a mustang with the performance pack and the owner walking to the car. I said nice car man. He replied with "Oh hey, you're The Dutch Texan, I watch your videos,"

Always cool meeting fans though, because you have the same interests.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have had one person wanting to see me in person, which I did.
The thought of being a celebrity scares me a bit, since I´m quite shy in person and haven´t a lot of experience being approached by people, even though I approach people quite often!

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I get recognised at Boat Shows, to be honest I have to admit that I really enjoy it. A subscriber asked me for a selfie at a recent Boat Show, I obliged of course but thought that it was a bit over-the-top... my channel is still very small.

GBeeTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You shouldn't focus on the "bad side" of fame instead prepare yourself for it because you're on this forum chasing YouTube success and that's gonna come with some type of fame.

The way you choose to handle that fame is completely yours. You can either be a role model for anyone to look up to or a celebrity douchebag craving to be the centre of attention everywhere (ie Jake Paul).

Don't invest time in being afraid just know it's coming and prepare yourself for it

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have been recognized for times this past couple months! I was in shock because I’m still a small YouTuber, but I really liked it let’s me know my videos are making a difference and making people happy and that makes me really happy knowing my videos can turn someone’s bad day around:)

Kinan Media

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Enjoy it while you can enjoy it, you may be very surprised someday you have someone who knows you so much, you do not know who he is, and that person seems to know more about yourself more than anyone, and again because youtube is a global platform, then it can happen wherever you are on this side of the world