* AVOID THE TRAP - VITAL tip to gaming channels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, you can enable the monetization as things stand...but it's a risk.
and yes when you're partnered generally you can simply just go back over previous videos and enable monetization :)
Ok thanks for the reply.... Can you or anyone give me tips on starting a gaming channel and getting partnered quicky?

Ok thanks for the reply.... Can you or anyone give me tips on starting a gaming channel and getting partnered quicky?

If you're just starting put out one or two videos and send them around forums such as this, asking for what they think of content/audio/visual quality, if they say it needs improving - then improve on it, if generally people say it's good, then just keep releasing videos as frequently as you can - and hopefully one will draw that audience in.
generally to be a partner the minimal requirement is 750+ video views a day and you can use www.socialblade.com to see if you're getting this.

Also linking your videos together using annotations is proven to increase overall video views by around 15%, so that would help you get those views required to be a partner.
In extreme cases, if your content is VERY good, and you apply without partner network criteria, then they can still offer you partnership, but my advice is to wait until you have the proper requirements and then apply.

Good luck!

If you're just starting put out one or two videos and send them around forums such as this, asking for what they think of content/audio/visual quality, if they say it needs improving - then improve on it, if generally people say it's good, then just keep releasing videos as frequently as you can - and hopefully one will draw that audience in.
generally to be a partner the minimal requirement is 750+ video views a day and you can use www.socialblade.com to see if you're getting this.

Also linking your videos together using annotations is proven to increase overall video views by around 15%, so that would help you get those views required to be a partner.
In extreme cases, if your content is VERY good, and you apply without partner network criteria, then they can still offer you partnership, but my advice is to wait until you have the proper requirements and then apply.

Good luck!
Oh Ok Got It:) thanks for answering my questions, the forum and people are so helpful here

Very nice thread. I always wondered how it was infringement, since it is usually the player that is uploading videos of them self playing the game that they own. I do not see anyway of giving aay company secrets during a video that just encompasses the exact nature of how the game is played. If there is any type of monetization allowed in gaming, it should be universal to everyone. From what I get about gaming videos, they add a lot of exposure to the game and the company that created it and it gives them free advertising. Gaming networks should continue on the path that they are on, since they give their partners a larger audience, but non partnered people should be able to enjoy the same privileges as the networks. Everyone is partnership material and there are those that do not want to complicate their situations with one, so there should be a level playing field for everyone that wants to create gaming videos.

What if you put something in in to make it your own, like commentary intros and things like that ?

Someone mentioned it earlier, but Riot does allow you to use League of Legends footage.

Here's the link to their official statement:
http://www.riotgames.com/company/legal-jibber-jabber

When they ask for more information, you should definitely forward the link to YT.

Even though Riot allows it, I applied for monetization but have yet to get my videos approved (it's been a little over a week). I'm guessing that the delay is due to the length of my videos.

Or you could partner with a youtube network (TGS,TGN,Machinima, etc.), they usually have a contract with youtube that allows them (and their partners) to post licensed gaming content. All though it's a bit harder to get partnered by them and you have to do commentary not just post trailers.

This is something I've learned recently, so feel it's imperative to spread to help you all.

If your videos include video game footage in- then you need to do is disable monetization on your account. If need more reason as to why, keep reading.

The problem

On your gaming channel you may find you can monetize your videos that have footage of a video game in, (most people jump at this and enable them)- while this is all well and good in the short run - in the long run it could cause some serious problems.
You DO NOT own the video game footage - although youtube allowing monetization on the video may make you think you do - you do not, the video game company still do.

Why does this matter?

Should you ever start to gain rapid popularity, or frequent viewers, youtube will take more notice of your channel, and when it comes to them considering you for partnership, they will then see that all along you have been monetizing videos with content that you do not own; thus, they will not only NOT partner you, but are likely to punish you via removing the videos, - or even your channel.

Unfair?

No, making money off of monetizing videos with content you do not own IS illegal, so it will be taken seriously by youtube- and they will do either or both of the above as stated, to avoid any legal involvement from the game companies.

How do I get round it?

If you don't care about money at all, then simply unmonetize your videos and continue as you were.
If you do want to earn off of videos that include gaming content, the ONLY way is to partner with a GAMING network, - these networks have all the licences and legal rights for you to monetize ALL gameplay videos, thus allowing you to be partnered and earn money.

My Advice

Unmonetize your videos immediately if they have gaming footage in, besides there is not alot to be earned at non-partnership stages anyway (and anything you do own is technically illegal).

Hope I've helped some of you here
Very well stated and sound advice... Every game comes with a user license agreement, which generally states that the purchaser and user of the game holds no commercial rights and legal sanctions could be faced, not to mention wasting all your precious time... Great post!

It depends what game you are playing, some companies do allow for videos of their game to be monetized, one of the most common of course being Minecraft as it easily draws in more people to buy the games so they've weighed the pros against the cons. Best way to find out is go on a game by game basis to see what the track record is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back