AUDACITY BACKGROUND NOISE REMOVAL GUIDE

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
First thing I do with any audio I do with audacity. That along with compression to make all the levels even and make it sound good. Then its all the other stuff like Equalization, Bass Boost, ect.
Noise Removal is second last in my workflow. EQ, Normalize and other edits augment what noise is left behind if you do it first. But that's just me.

Reactions: CynicalChinchilla

User_26183

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Designer, Animator
I might do a similar on of these for Adobe Audition...

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
I would focus on more complex tutorials. The basic procedure is essentially identical. Audion just has more tools available. Actually, the forum could use a tutorial thread on Side-Chain compression if you're familiar with it (reducing the volume of one track dynamically in line with a backing or reference track)

User_26183

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
I am aware of sidechain compression, from a music and recording perspective...I usually use it to create the pumping effect by sidechaining a kick drum... What would this particular forum use it for if not for music production - dipping music with voiceover?

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
It's safe to say that the majority of forum users are video game channels. So they'll record gameplay and put a layer of commentary on top of the background audio from the game. Most of these game recordings experience spikes in sound, so sidechain compression could be of use to people.

User_26183

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
That makes sense...I will try and record and post a tutorial soon!

Dbrothers Gaming

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
To remove background noise with audacity, start your recording, DO NOT make anyyyy noises or touch or click anything for about 5-8 seconds. record your voice or something for a bit, maybe 20 seconds of voice.

NEXT On the top menu part, click EFFECT. Then look for NOISE REMOVAL. Click this. Make your settings like this. Noise reduction 24. Sensitivity 0.00, Frequency smoothing 150,attack decay time 0.15. Make sure the bottom part it set to remove, not isolate..

Setup should be done. Now get out of that for a second. Time for the actual noise removal.

Highlight (click on the actual soundbar where you see your sound waves) highlight the 5 or so seconds of silence. While that is highlighted, go back to effect, noise removal, then click GET NOISE PROFILE. It now sees what you are trying to get rid of. Click CONTROL+A at the same time and it will highlight the whole track.

Simply do effect, noise removal, and click the OK button this time. And you're done.
Thanks for the guide. Do you know Movavi has this? Because im in a kinda limited budget right now. Just if anyone knows, thanks.

User_26183

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Audacity is still free isn't it? There is no problem if you have no budget!