AUDACITY BACKGROUND NOISE REMOVAL GUIDE

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
You only need 1-2 seconds of silence for noise removal to work. Be aware that Noise Removal is outright removing a portion of audio which does include more than just the noise. The higher threshold you use, the more hollow your voice will sound. It is a corrective measure, but it's not magic. Move fans away, keep your mic away from your computer tower, don't record when the furnace is blowing, etc, etc, etc. THEN do noise removal and your sound will shine.

Anony Mouse

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Tried this long time ago, made me sound like I was a robot. :p
You sure you did it correctly? Works fine for me. You just have to make sure all the settings are right (or right for you) before you do the audio removal.[DOUBLEPOST=1393966181,1393965712][/DOUBLEPOST]
You only need 1-2 seconds of silence for noise removal to work. Be aware that Noise Removal is outright removing a portion of audio which does include more than just the noise. The higher threshold you use, the more hollow your voice will sound. It is a corrective measure, but it's not magic. Move fans away, keep your mic away from your computer tower, don't record when the furnace is blowing, etc, etc, etc. THEN do noise removal and your sound will shine.
While this is true, sometimes it is the only option for some people. Computer is too loud or whatnot (I bought a new quiet computer, but everything together with graphics card etc cost almost 2 grand) some people don't have that :p

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
While this is true, sometimes it is the only option for some people. Computer is too loud or whatnot (I bought a new quiet computer, but everything together with graphics card etc cost almost 2 grand) some people don't have that :p
Then they can put a rug over top of the computer for the few minutes it takes to record some audio. Or, they could buy a long enough cable to record on the other side of the room away from the computer, or in a different room. There are plenty of solutions.

Anony Mouse

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Then they can put a rug over top of the computer for the few minutes it takes to record some audio. Or, they could buy a long enough cable to record on the other side of the room away from the computer, or in a different room. There are plenty of solutions.
Sadly I tried putting stuff over the computer, some things worked better than others, but could still hear background noise. If you mess with the settings, or use the settings I gave, depending, possibly takes away the hollow noise. The type of mic you use most likely influences this hollow effect as well. I have the blue yeti so maybe it's just me? Anywho I used this method for my Smiling Man reading in my videos if you want an example. Before I used this method you could hear background buzz.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Sadly I tried putting stuff over the computer, some things worked better than others, but could still hear background noise. If you mess with the settings, or use the settings I gave, depending, possibly takes away the hollow noise. The type of mic you use most likely influences this hollow effect as well. I have the blue yeti so maybe it's just me? Anywho I used this method for my Smiling Man reading in my videos if you want an example. Before I used this method you could hear background buzz.
I'm not saying that your method is incorrect. It's just that Noise Removal is a lot like Pop Filters. There's this pervailing belief among YouTubers that it's a magic fix all, and it's not. People need to understand what goes into creating noise because ambient noise is filtered out by your ear after you've been in a room for a while. They also need to understand what Noise Removal does, how it does it, and what the negatives are.

aranyoli1231

Entertainer/Vlogger aka Da Boss
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How can I remove the noise from quick time audio recording?

Jorzard

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks mate been wondering how to do this :D

JohnnyFox

STAY SMOKEY PEOPLE!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
To remove background noise with audacity, start your recording, DO NOT make anyyyy noises or touch or click anything for about 5-8 seconds. record your voice or something for a bit, maybe 20 seconds of voice.

NEXT On the top menu part, click EFFECT. Then look for NOISE REMOVAL. Click this. Make your settings like this. Noise reduction 24. Sensitivity 0.00, Frequency smoothing 150,attack decay time 0.15. Make sure the bottom part it set to remove, not isolate..

Setup should be done. Now get out of that for a second. Time for the actual noise removal.

Highlight (click on the actual soundbar where you see your sound waves) highlight the 5 or so seconds of silence. While that is highlighted, go back to effect, noise removal, then click GET NOISE PROFILE. It now sees what you are trying to get rid of. Click CONTROL+A at the same time and it will highlight the whole track.

Simply do effect, noise removal, and click the OK button this time. And you're done.
First thing I do with any audio I do with audacity. That along with compression to make all the levels even and make it sound good. Then its all the other stuff like Equalization, Bass Boost, ect.