Are Tags Pointlesss now?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Am I missing something?! Youtube has changed so much on how Tags are used. I used to have the tags make a difference on how videos are promoted on youtube. even for high volume game uploads! But now it seems no matter which strategy I use with tags, nothing makes a difference! I try all the tips you can find online and I try different things in hopes I can crack the code. But nope! Pretty much impossible it seems for youtube to push ANY of your videos based on your tags. Its completely reliant on watch time, which isnt so great if your just starting out, or getting back into it and have no views.

Does anyone have any tips to what they have found to work for their channel? Are tags just about useless now (unless you have loads of views all the time with a lot of watchtime), or is there a way to get them to do what they are supposed to even if you're just starting out?

I know Gaming videos are pretty high volume of uploads, but shouldnt getting at least 10 views from being in suggestions be at least possible? lol (Like it used to be!)

But here, here is the tags and ONLY the tags *eyeroll*:
Legend of Zelda Links Awakening switch,Legend of Zelda Links awakening,legend of zelda links awakening let's play,Legend of Zelda Lets play,Zelda Links Awakening gameplay,Legend of Zelda LP,Lets play,Nintendo Switch,edited,gameplay,commentary,LP,gaming,link,zelda,FerretsCantGame

If you need more details of what I'm doing on my videos, you'll just have to go look yourself the long way around. I tried to convieniently just include the link to an example video but I guess it wasnt needed, despite there are more to how tags work than JUST the tags. Which is why I included it originally. I'm not babysitting this thread to answer questions people could have gotten from just looking for themselves. Work smarter, not harder. Hopefully the tags alone are enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: VladNomadYouTube

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
no they are not. they help tremendously and just like a skill, it takes practice on what does best with your video. Ive been studying what does best for my videos and although not related to your type of gaming channel I found out sub stringed tags that somewhat correlates to my channel AND title works best

for instance I might release a video called

"tarryall dirtbike riding in Colorado | Can the KLX250 handle it"

I then create tags that people might search OR an idea of what tags would "pop out in recommendations" for other people so my tags would like this

"tarryall colorado OHV trail system"
Best Colorado trail systems
KLX250 review
is the klx250 a good bike,
is the KLX250 a reliable dirtbike
dual sport in Colorado

over time, i have learned tags that correlate to my channel and videos what people are searching for does best. there is not a video (with a few exceptions) that have not reach closed to a 1,000 views after figuring out my tags and if it is not there yet, it will get there over time.

Reactions: fixedsnuffle
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Musician
Am I missing something?! Youtube has changed so much on how Tags are used. I used to have the tags make a difference on how videos are promoted on youtube. even for high volume game uploads! But now it seems no matter which strategy I use with tags, nothing makes a difference! I try all the tips you can find online and I try different things in hopes I can crack the code. But nope! Pretty much impossible it seems for youtube to push ANY of your videos based on your tags. Its completely reliant on watch time, which isnt so great if your just starting out, or getting back into it and have no views.

Does anyone have any tips to what they have found to work for their channel? Are tags just about useless now (unless you have loads of views all the time with a lot of watchtime), or is there a way to get them to do what they are supposed to even if you're just starting out?

I know Gaming videos are pretty high volume of uploads, but shouldnt getting at least 10 views from being in suggestions be at least possible? lol (Like it used to be!)

But here, here is the tags and ONLY the tags *eyeroll*:
Legend of Zelda Links Awakening switch,Legend of Zelda Links awakening,legend of zelda links awakening let's play,Legend of Zelda Lets play,Zelda Links Awakening gameplay,Legend of Zelda LP,Lets play,Nintendo Switch,edited,gameplay,commentary,LP,gaming,link,zelda,FerretsCantGame

If you need more details of what I'm doing on my videos, you'll just have to go look yourself the long way around. I tried to convieniently just include the link to an example video but I guess it wasnt needed, despite there are more to how tags work than JUST the tags. Which is why I included it originally. I'm not babysitting this thread to answer questions people could have gotten from just looking for themselves. Work smarter, not harder. Hopefully the tags alone are enough.
Youtube have millions videos, and newest will be end of the list. But if yours tags little bit unique, in searching you will be in nice positions.. But in my experience - i don't have any traffic from youtube searching!

Reactions: Michael Linson