Am I just tag inept????

Bombiebru

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So today I uploaded a video and used the keyword planner and tube buddy to get some decent tags and when I go to search for my video it doesn't show up in the search at all??? Did I screw something up? I'm really excited about this video and am worried if I dont figure this out soon I will be wasting my 48 hour window to get it promoted! Any suggestions?

Political Junkie News

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Try modifying the search for videos posted today.
Is this your most recent video? I just looked at the thumbnail, and it's impossible to read.
Try using picmonkey.com to put a solid rectangle around your text so it is visible.

GamingRack

GamingRack
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I always thought that YouTube ranked videos by popularity so if more people had the same kinda named video they would always appear first but maybe I'm wrong.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You are hardly the only one using those tags. Hence only the more popular videos end up in the list and yours is somewhere further down.

Reactions: KorrensEmber

Bombiebru

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I guess I figured I would at least be on the second or third page. This is a new genre for me so I haven't figured out how popular it would be. Well I guess I will just use it for improvement next time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So today I uploaded a video and used the keyword planner and tube buddy to get some decent tags and when I go to search for my video it doesn't show up in the search at all??? Did I screw something up? I'm really excited about this video and am worried if I dont figure this out soon I will be wasting my 48 hour window to get it promoted! Any suggestions?
modify your description, I've found that the title and description work better than tags. I've done SEO experiments where I change each one and it seems like the title is the biggest factor, description is second, and tags are last. Open me is not a very common search term lol

Reactions: Bombiebru

Bombiebru

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
modify your description, I've found that the title and description work better than tags. I've done SEO experiments where I change each one and it seems like the title is the biggest factor, description is second, and tags are last. Open me is not a very common search term lol
Thanks I will look into that

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I agree with Munchito and TheDutchTexan...descriptions and titles are really important, and it appears as well that you are using relatively saturated/competitive tags. For example, I saw on your Trying to exercise episode that you had tags like "tips" "exercise" "diy" and "beauty". My understanding is that youtube tags don't "add", so when you have a keyword for "tips" youtube is assuming that you're aiming for people searching for the word "tips" -- that is obviously a very broad, generic tag and it's just not going to be possible to rank in the first page for that.

Additionally, whenever you have a topic, you want to reinforce that through your title and description (especially the first few lines of the description, which appear before the "Show More" link), but in the description for this video, you are not using the first line very effectively (instead, you tell people to click to open up the show more...but YouTube really looks at those first few lines of the description for metadata, so from a metadata perspective, you really haven't incorporated anything of your video's subject here.)

Vlogs are really difficult to rank well in search for because most of the times, people aren't really "searching" for Vlog type stuff. If possible, you will want to try to make your videos themed, and then target those terms and phrases. For example, if you want to emphasize exercise, then emphasize that. Your description doesn't really talk about exercise though, so you'd want to rewrite that for that. If you wanted to emphasize tips for housework (as the description talks about), then why not emphasize that in the title and description ("The Bombie Vlog: 3 Tips for housekeeping", with one of the tags being "tips for housekeeping" or "housekeeping tips")

This might be a weird shift at first...but I think that if you can make your videos more topical, then that will give you more focus for making titles, tags, and descriptions)

Bombiebru

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with Munchito and TheDutchTexan...descriptions and titles are really important, and it appears as well that you are using relatively saturated/competitive tags. For example, I saw on your Trying to exercise episode that you had tags like "tips" "exercise" "diy" and "beauty". My understanding is that youtube tags don't "add", so when you have a keyword for "tips" youtube is assuming that you're aiming for people searching for the word "tips" -- that is obviously a very broad, generic tag and it's just not going to be possible to rank in the first page for that.

Additionally, whenever you have a topic, you want to reinforce that through your title and description (especially the first few lines of the description, which appear before the "Show More" link), but in the description for this video, you are not using the first line very effectively (instead, you tell people to click to open up the show more...but YouTube really looks at those first few lines of the description for metadata, so from a metadata perspective, you really haven't incorporated anything of your video's subject here.)

Vlogs are really difficult to rank well in search for because most of the times, people aren't really "searching" for Vlog type stuff. If possible, you will want to try to make your videos themed, and then target those terms and phrases. For example, if you want to emphasize exercise, then emphasize that. Your description doesn't really talk about exercise though, so you'd want to rewrite that for that. If you wanted to emphasize tips for housework (as the description talks about), then why not emphasize that in the title and description ("The Bombie Vlog: 3 Tips for housekeeping", with one of the tags being "tips for housekeeping" or "housekeeping tips")

This might be a weird shift at first...but I think that if you can make your videos more topical, then that will give you more focus for making titles, tags, and descriptions)
Thanks so much for this! I will definitely look into better ways of optimizing my titles and description. It's a learning curve and I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me :)

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
You can do everything correctly in terms of titles, descriptions, and researched tags, but depending on how much competition there is with your videos, you'll need to get the first several hundred views through promotion. Things will get easier and easier once you get more subscribers but for any new Youtuber, you'll have to grind like crazy. Constantly ask yourself everyday, how can I find new and better ways to promote my videos during the first 48 hours?