"Add other people's videos to your playlists"?

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Now this seems extremely counter-intuitive to me but I read in a blog post that you should "add other people's popular videos to your playlists to improve rank and SEO" which would mean you would in effect capitalize on the popularity of other people's videos. Could it be that this isn't against guidelines or good taste, to add other people's videos in your own playlists? And say I make 3 videos about 3 different topics, should than I just find the most popular / trending videos on each topic I can find and add them to my playlists and publish? Is it OK with the owners of the popular videos, with YT and with the community?

Last edited:

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
You have a lot of questions in here, in which I don't have the answers for unfortunately. Although, I have always thought that adding other people's videos to your own playlists is fine, because they benefit from the views and the work seems properly cited as theirs. On their side, their videos can reach a wider audience. Just a different perspective I suppose. I am interested to see what the other's have to say as well.

Reactions: Broccoli Shmoccoli

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Right! I forgot about that point. Thank you.

So far, the answers are very good... :)

...I guess all the different questions could be basically replaced with - "If I add other people's videos to my playlists, will the community, the creators and YT be OK with it? + Do you do it?"

Last edited:
Reactions: darksmokeyt

The BBQ Chef

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's fine. As long as you are just putting that video into a playlist, not downloading it then re uploading it onto your channel.
I believe it does help your SEO by having popular videos in a playlist but I'm yet to do it myself (keep forgetting......)

Reactions: Broccoli Shmoccoli