A timer built in to Youtube

Limeylime

I had come up with a good idea that can benefit thousands of kids that watch YouTube around the world. What I propose is that a timer is added to the setting tab in the website/app. A user can set the timer from 1 minute to 12 hours (11h 59m 59 secs). Once the set timer hits 0, the video that said user may be watching will stop and a message will pop up respectively. The reason I am suggesting this is that there are many many kids and teens that unfortunately have addictions to video games (and many just YouTube), One of those I will admit being me. By having a forced message pop up about the timer, the user can immediately say to him/her self that it is time to stop.

Great idea. I have 2 kids too and they spend a lot of time watching YouTube on their Ipads.
Sometimes I have to tell them to stop and take a brake.
Youtube is not just bad though. The watch a lot og english cartoons so the learn the english pretty fast (we live in Denmark)

A tool like that sounds like it would have multiple uses. It could manage how long your kids are watching YouTube videos and it could also be used as a personal productivity tool. Although, kids these days are pretty good at getting around restrictions like that, that are placed on them.

Actually I am ready to pay money for such extra. I am not kidding! I have two kids.
Great idea. I have 2 kids too and they spend a lot of time watching YouTube on their Ipads.
Sometimes I have to tell them to stop and take a brake.
Youtube is not just bad though. The watch a lot og english cartoons so the learn the english pretty fast (we live in Denmark)

If I'm not wrong, such a feature already exists in the "Youtube Kids" App. Just search in the app settings after you've installed it.

I doubt YouTube would develop something that causes people to spend less time on thir site. :)

But there are already lots of browser plugins that can block certain websites at certain times of the day.

I have firefox and I use a free plugin called "Leechblock" ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/leechblock/ ) to block all distracting websites when I need to get some work done.

I'm sure there are others for Chrome.

Kids are smart these days. They'll easily find a way to bypass such a block, whether creating a new Youtube account, using a proxy site, and using other third party websites that plays Youtube videos.

Back