Winger94

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hell yeah this is really a good guide, but I think that for how good it can be it will always be a little bit dependent on the actually content of your channel. Maybe for really nichey channels that can work but maybe for other examples (like let's play channels like mine this can be reaaally useful but I don't know if the results will be the same). Anyway really good work!

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

DoStuffJosh

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
This is actually a really awesome little guide you have here and has given me a bit more motivation. I use TubeBuddy, sounds like you use the paid version? Do you recommend this if you do use it? Overall, I think all these tips really help channels which focus on something particular, like your example fishing, or evening gaming, cards, trees - I don't know, but if your channel is topic related this will help a lot!

Brandon Nankivell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Most of the tips are really great and I already use a lot of them. The only one that you should ABSOLUTELY NOT use is:

This does not help your channel and Youtube can actually tell when you are using other tags that include other channel names or users.

Other than that though, great guide :)
I'll take your word for it brother, thank you! I didn't realize this technique was outdated. I'll update the post accordingly :)[DOUBLEPOST=1460999787,1460999587][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hell yeah this is really a good guide, but I think that for how good it can be it will always be a little bit dependent on the actually content of your channel. Maybe for really nichey channels that can work but maybe for other examples (like let's play channels like mine this can be reaaally useful but I don't know if the results will be the same). Anyway really good work!
I'm glad you liked it! I can't say I have experience building a Let's play channel. Nonetheless take the tips you like and apply them ASAP. Have fun![DOUBLEPOST=1461000127][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is actually a really awesome little guide you have here and has given me a bit more motivation. I use TubeBuddy, sounds like you use the paid version? Do you recommend this if you do use it? Overall, I think all these tips really help channels which focus on something particular, like your example fishing, or evening gaming, cards, trees - I don't know, but if your channel is topic related this will help a lot!
Hey Josh,

TubeBuddy's free features are great on their own. I haven't been using the paid version for long so I'm not comfortable recommending it at this stage. The extra features are nice but not completely necessary. The paid versions are primarily time-savers because of the features such as Tag Sorter, Bulk Find Replace & Append, Annotation Templates etc... All these things can be done manually, TubeBuddy just makes it so much easier :) If you have money to spend, like saving some time, and enjoy using nitty-gritty techniques and tools like myself - only then would I consider it.

Put it this way:
  • TubeBuddy [FREE] is like having a car.
  • TubeBuddy [PAID] is like having a car. With cup-holders.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I really loved this guide, and a lot of it is consistent with what I've heard and read as well. I would agree with the people who have commented that including other peoples' channel names in your tags is sketchy. I would not necessarily say that YouTube can tell when you're doing it (because I don't think YouTube's system is that "smart" -- tag-based spam has to be detected manually rather than automatically.), but rather, it's unethical and misleading to potential viewers. I'd rather get into the suggested videos of other channels through shared content tags, rather than because I artificially created a connection by putting the other channel's name in my tags. I only include channel names in my tags if I've done a collaboration with the other person, or if I'm discussing the other person extensively.

Obviously, most people won't check tags on a video, but if I see a bunch of other channels' names in their tags through TubeBuddy, that gives me a bit of a worse impression of the youtuber.

Brandon Nankivell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I really loved this guide, and a lot of it is consistent with what I've heard and read as well. I would agree with the people who have commented that including other peoples' channel names in your tags is sketchy. I would not necessarily say that YouTube can tell when you're doing it (because I don't think YouTube's system is that "smart" -- tag-based spam has to be detected manually rather than automatically.), but rather, it's unethical and misleading to potential viewers. I'd rather get into the suggested videos of other channels through shared content tags, rather than because I artificially created a connection by putting the other channel's name in my tags. I only include channel names in my tags if I've done a collaboration with the other person, or if I'm discussing the other person extensively.

Obviously, most people won't check tags on a video, but if I see a bunch of other channels' names in their tags through TubeBuddy, that gives me a bit of a worse impression of the youtuber.
I like your perspective :)

Reactions: Owlins

MCNE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just watched your video on Malcolm Gladwell. He is my favorite. Great channel!

Mirandapanda

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Interesting article. People keep praising TubeBuddy, I gotta check that out one of these days. :) Although I definitely can't shell out for the paid version, maybe the free version would be helpful. Idk about tagging other youtubers though, I feel like that's a little dishonest, but what do I know. Anyway, thanks for this!

Squeal Cat

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I'm too lazy to read your stuff, but I could already see your effort to help other people by sharing your tips is really appreciated :)

Quick scan just shows you have found very good ways of optimizing your videos! ANd if I look at your channel I got the idea you know what you're doing. ANd you are proactively trying to make your channel grow and make it work!

Keep it up and good luck :D