Why you should NEVER do "sub for sub"

Rhodri Powell

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's for someone else to decide. Personally, any time you end up with the strange disconnect of "way too few views for how many subs you have" then you've gone too far.

It's also actually a huge problem with "gimmick" videos. I've seen a bunch of channels that did one thing that took off, but the rest of their content isn't of that type, and so they have thousands and thousands of legitimate subscribers who subbed because of that one video, but then just never unsubbed for whatever reason but don't watch.

Hell it happened on my old and now defunct personal channel. I used to dump cool videos there or stuff for my political blog (I had zero interest in "YouTubing" at the time), one hit 1.5mil views, a few others got into the hundreds of thousands. As a result, years ago I had all these subscribers despite the fact that 99% of my channel was weightlifting and playing the drums.

It's the toughest part of promotion. You need to get people to subscribe to your channel because they want to watch WHAT YOU DO. Not because of a sub4sub agreement or because of one aberration that nothing else is related to.
Completely agree! It's the same kind of promotion that shouldn't work but unfortunately does.
Can I just point out the fact that I should have said never done sub4sub and NOT planning to. Missed out a crucial word there haha!