Which MacBook to get?

Sorry I meant dedicated, basically one that isn't built into the computer's processor. They are usually by NVIDIA or AMD as opposed to intel's HD graphics as they call them.
Oh right what's wrong with the one built in? Am worried now !

Oh right what's wrong with the one built in? Am worried now !

Nothing much, I have a built in one, but the dedicated ones will handle games and anything that requires a lot of graphical power a lot better. So if you can afford it make sure you go for a dedicated one. If you do end up with an integrated (built in) one though, don't worry it should still be fine, just not as fine as the dedicated ones :).

Dedicated graphics cards basically use an entirely separate processor and VRAM to process the graphics, and while this is mainly of use when playing games, it can have an impact when rendering video, especially if you are already pushing you processor with the editing software. Personally I hate iMovie and FCP since I don't find them intuitive and they don't work as well round-tripping into other programs for audio, vfx and colour grading; though I suppose if that is the route you want then it is up to you. I personally use a high end custom built Windows desktop, which caters for all of my needs just fine, and I do agree with many of the other posters that a windows laptop would be significantly cheaper than a mac of the same spec, either allowing you to buy a higher spec computer or a camera on the side.

In terms of actual spec, I would buy no less than a terabyte of hard drive space, with a minimum 8GB of RAM for video editing. 16 is unnecessary for video editing but it can speed up renders. In terms of processor, basically get the best you can afford, though bear in mind the clock speed as well as the processor model. I would go for an i7 over an i5 for video editing however it isn't that important if you cannot afford the better chip. Finally, for dedicated graphics, I would suggest an NVIDIA over an AMD (do macs ever come with AMD).

Just something to bear in mind: when you buy a mac, you are fixed with those specs for life, however a PC/Linux laptop can be upgraded over time.

Dedicated graphics cards basically use an entirely separate processor and VRAM to process the graphics, and while this is mainly of use when playing games, it can have an impact when rendering video, especially if you are already pushing you processor with the editing software. Personally I hate iMovie and FCP since I don't find them intuitive and they don't work as well round-tripping into other programs for audio, vfx and colour grading; though I suppose if that is the route you want then it is up to you. I personally use a high end custom built Windows desktop, which caters for all of my needs just fine, and I do agree with many of the other posters that a windows laptop would be significantly cheaper than a mac of the same spec, either allowing you to buy a higher spec computer or a camera on the side.

In terms of actual spec, I would buy no less than a terabyte of hard drive space, with a minimum 8GB of RAM for video editing. 16 is unnecessary for video editing but it can speed up renders. In terms of processor, basically get the best you can afford, though bear in mind the clock speed as well as the processor model. I would go for an i7 over an i5 for video editing however it isn't that important if you cannot afford the better chip. Finally, for dedicated graphics, I would suggest an NVIDIA over an AMD (do macs ever come with AMD).

Just something to bear in mind: when you buy a mac, you are fixed with those specs for life, however a PC/Linux laptop can be upgraded over time.

So, the graphics that automatically come with the mac aren't good enough for video editing?

Also what does '256GB PCIe-based flash storage1 mean?'

When you buy the mac, you will may have trouble with the editing software's gpu acceleration if you are only using the Intel HD internal graphics. You in reality need a graphics chip, such as the NVIDIA GT series (or GTX for desktops).

PCI is a type of connector inside the computer. 256GB of flash storage is a quarter of a terabyte. Flash storage is nice over traditional optical storage since it has a far faster read and write time.

When you buy the mac, you will may have trouble with the editing software's gpu acceleration if you are only using the Intel HD internal graphics. You in reality need a graphics chip, such as the NVIDIA GT series (or GTX for desktops).

PCI is a type of connector inside the computer. 256GB of flash storage is a quarter of a terabyte. Flash storage is nice over traditional optical storage since it has a far faster read and write time.

What sort of trouble would I have with it? And how would I put a different chip inside it?

What sort of trouble would I have with it? And how would I put a different chip inside it?
You wouldn't be able to use GPU-acceleration. The software would be slower and less responsive, possibly to the point of visible lag.

You cannot easily replace the GPU on a mac. You must order the MacBook Pro that comes with an NVIDIA GPU pre-installed. It will cost a little more but it is well worth it!

You wouldn't be able to use GPU-acceleration. The software would be slower and less responsive, possibly to the point of visible lag.

You cannot easily replace the GPU on a mac. You must order the MacBook Pro that comes with an NVIDIA GPU pre-installed. It will cost a little more but it is well worth it!

Ah I see! Is the only way to purchase this online or can they make it for you in currys and other stores?

On the Final Cut Pro x requirements it says about what you spoke about and I found this list

"GeForce 320M
GeForce GT 330M
GeForce GT 640M
GeForce GT 650M
GeForce GTX 660M
GeForce GTX 675M
GeForce GTX 680MX
GeForce GT 750M
GeForce GT 755M
GeForce GTX 775M
GeForce GTX 780M
GeForce 9400M
GeForce 9600M GT
GeForce 8600M GT 128MB (Note: OpenCL compatible, but does not meet system requirements for Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4.)
GeForce 8600M GT 256MB
GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
GeForce GT 120
GeForce GT 130
GeForce 8800 GT
GeForce 8800 GS
Quadro FX 5600"

There's loads lol

I believe it can only be bought from the Apple website. You should be fine with the chip that comes in the MacBook Pro if you get the one with the NVIDIA chip. Have a look on the Apple website and you should find it.

Back