Which MacBook to get?

Girl01

Super Poster
I am going to buy a MacBook. Will be using to edit my videos to put on YouTube. At the moment only have iphone to film and will only be using iMovies to edit but going to save for a good camera and buy Final Cut Pro x to edit ultimately.

I want my videos to look good and professional and good quality on YouTube. The videos will most be 15-20 mins, or 30 mins in length.

Want a MacBook as don't have the room for a mac computer or PC.

Please help which one should I buy and what specifications would I need? Thanks

MacBook pros have more power which is needed for video editing. The MacBook air is thinner and lighter but doesn't have as much power. Only get a MacBook air if you travel a ton and need something really thin. The MacBook pro is thin too so it isn't necessary to get the air. The screen size is up to you a bigger screen size is usually more desirable for editing video. The ram and graphics card are important so if you can upgrade those. The hard drive size doesn't really matter, just buy an external hard drive. As for editing, i-movie is a striped down version of Final Cut. If you start out with iMovie whenever you upgrade to final cut you will know how to use it. So start with iMovie because it is free.

I really wouldnt buy a mac, though they are very good I feel as if a good windows machine can do the same things for a reduced price, But if you are set on a mac and want to do editing you will be looking at an i5-i7 with 8 or 16 GB of ram.

MacBook pros have more power which is needed for video editing.

I don't agree with that. The cheapest mac does have extremely good starting point but for the price you can get more from a windows pc (not pre-built they tend to use out dated parts or tamper with them so you can't upgrade them. without upgrading the whole computer.)

I would say build a windows pc, save yourself a bit of cash for the camera.

I don't agree with that. The cheapest mac does have extremely good starting point but for the price you can get more from a windows pc (not pre-built they tend to use out dated parts or tamper with them so you can't upgrade them. without upgrading the whole computer.)

I would say build a windows pc, save yourself a bit of cash for the camera.

Yeah I agree especially for the price you can get a Windows computer that is better then a MacBook. But this post was about which MacBook to get. And I was saying that the MacBook pro is more powerful then the MacBook air.

Well for myself I just bought a macbook in february and its very old, (2008 macbook aka "BlackBook") along with that I have final cut pro 6 and it works just fine as if I had a new macbook. I suggest if you can to not spend a lot of money (Unless you have it). I got mine through craigslist for 150 and even then I knew the seller. I would suggest getting the unibody silver macbook (After 2008) and going from there.

What's your budget for example? The "I want my videos to look on YouTube" part is bit irrelevant. Nobody on YouTube can notice if the video was edited on a MacBook Air or Pro:D. If you are more specific, we can help you out better. I have some experience with both models...

I have a macbook pro 2011 edition and it is pretty reasonable at handling video editing, so I'm pretty sure that the latest editions will be fine. Just make sure that it has 8GB or more of RAM, I am pretty sure that even the baseline MacBook Pro has an i5 processor so that should be fine.

Thanks for the replies so far sorry for being not that specific, lennart my budget is a maximum of £1,200

I know what people are saying about I would get more for my money with a windows PC, but I don't have the room for a PC where I live a laptop is just easier and I'd prefer a mac as I find iMovies really easy. Also most of my fave youtubers use Final Cut Pro X and it looks really cool.

I Need it to be good and powerful to ensure the videos are good quality an the MacBook can handle it

Thanks for the replies so far sorry for being not that specific, lennart my budget is a maximum of £1,200

I know what people are saying about I would get more for my money with a windows PC, but I don't have the room for a PC where I live a laptop is just easier and I'd prefer a mac as I find iMovies really easy. Also most of my fave youtubers use Final Cut Pro X and it looks really cool.

I Need it to be good and powerful to ensure the videos are good quality an the MacBook can handle it

I understand what you mean by Macs, Windows computers stress me out every time I use them :stomp:. For that budget I think you should look into getting a retina MacBook Pro, they are a lot thinner and I haven't tried it out with intensive apps but I think that it will be a lot faster because of it's flash memory compared to using a HDD. Also who doesn't love that gorgeous retina display :D.

Again as I said I haven't has any experience with the retina MBP so if I am completely wrong please correct me :).

Back