What was your reason for starting a channel?

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Everyone has their own story, and I'm interested in reading them! :bounce:

Here are some questions to help prompt your answers if you are having a hard time:
Why did you start?
How long have you been doing this?
Did anyone inspire you?
What is it that you do on your channel and why was it important to share?
Do you care if this turns out to be a career?
What is your favorite thing about making videos?
Who would be your ultimate collaboration partner(s)?

Great question(s).
I have an inherent drive to seek knowledge. I absolutely love learning new things, especially about technology, science and space. I started my channel thinking of making videos about what I learn and what my interests are, helping others whom may not know 'as much' about those topics that I talk about as much as I do, and maybe helping them learn a little bit more on those subjects. I want to make people excited about the future we are living in. It sound cliche and whatnot but I think I think it extremely important to inspire those around us.
I have had my channel for around two years, however I have been doing you tube as a 'hobby' and as such, haven't been uploading as consistently as I should be. That being said I will be doing you tube A LOT more consistently. Only the last few months have I been doing youtube somewhat 'seriously.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you start?
I had finally gotten my violin back after a few years, and I wanted to start playing again! Plus, I had just had a really crappy past few years and just wanted to "make stuff" with my free time.

Since December 2014

Did anyone inspire you?
Seeing other musicians who didn't need to go to Julliard to make waves in the music industry was inspiring, but I kind of wanted to just learn how to make backing tracks and start practicing again...

I play music and teach how to play the songs by ear. I'm not sure why it's important, but it's fun, so I'll keep doing it lol.

Not really. It'd be cool, but I'd rather not put all my eggs into one basket. I'd rather build up a few career paths at this point.

Probably the filming part. It's the easiest part, and it's fun finding locations and playing.

:eek: I honestly don't know! :eek: I'd love to play music with some well-known traditional music players like Alasdair Fraser, Natalie MacMaster, etc... but they are on a whole other higher wavelength as far as playing goes! :eek:

Hi!

So I'm going to answer the questions 3 times. I don't have 3 channels, but my channel has had 3 phases that were all done for different reasons and I'd answer the questions differently depending on which phase I was in at the time.

Phase 1: Beginning
Why did you start?

I wanted some place to upload videos and be able to share them with people so they could see them. YouTube was all the rage, so I created an account. It was similar to me creating a Photobucket or Imgur account.

I created my YouTube channel July 1, 2006. I did that until about October of 2014, then I moved those videos to another channel and I still do it off and on there.

Did anyone inspire you?

Nope.

I just uploaded funny videos I found, clips from TV shows that I liked, and showing off how I beat especially tough bosses on video games. A lot of the videos also demonstrated progress I was making on a video game mod I was working on. It was only important to share because I like showing off and sharing things I like with people.

The thought had never crossed my mind.

Showing them off.

I didn't even know that was a thing then. I have no idea who I'd want to collaborate with.

Phase 2: Let's Plays
Why did you start?
I thought I could play certain games better than others I saw and I wanted to try my hand at doing a gaming channel. If they can do it, I can do it.

I started mid 2014 and only did it for a few months. I stopped because I didn't like thinking of things to say while playing, it was really hard to find a good time to record, and all the cutting and shortening was too much work for me on a regular basis. I didn't enjoy it for very long.

Did anyone inspire you?

Yes, I first became aware of Pewdiepie at the time and figured I could do it, too.

I just played 3 games that I was already good at. I wanted to show everyone how I played them and how good I was. I wanted to get good feedback on them and become popular.

I started it because I wanted it to be like the big gaming channels, so yeah, that was the whole point.

Honestly, uploading was my favorite part.

I didn't think about collaborating, but probably any of the big gaming channels.

Phase 3: Horror Versions (current)
Why did you start?

I found some cool videos called "G-Major" that did weird effects to videos that were supposed to make them sound and look weird and creepy. I wanted to try my hand at it and see what I could come up with.

I started making the videos off and on around October 2014, but I didn't start committing myself to it and making them on a regular basis until April 2015.

Did anyone inspire you?

Not a person, but a YouTube meme did.

I take videos, usually cartoon theme songs, but also music videos and scenes from movies, and do edits to make them look and sound how I envision they would be if they were created in an alternate "creepy" universe.

I really hope it does at this point. I didn't start out making them for this reason, but one got really popular and started bringing in a lot of views and I saw the potential, and now I'm matching my day job income. Hopefully it will someday be enough to where I can just do this.

Seeing how each video turns out after I apply my edits, and then seeing all the reactions from the viewers.

Hmm, I'm not sure who I would collaborate with. I'm not sure how I even would. Maybe other YouTubers who make their own music videos or animation and wanting me to do a "horror version" of them and then maybe posting it on both of our channels and shouting out the other?

Why did you start? Simply to make some pocket money.
How long have you been doing this? I created my first channel in 2007 but did not upload any videos unti 2013. I have had around 12 channels with around 5 still 'active'.
Did anyone inspire you? Martin Lewis on Moneysavingexpert.com
What is it that you do on your channel and why was it important to share? My first channel is automotive inspired and I post 'How to' and 'Review' videos. My 'EVO' channel is more home based.
Do you care if this turns out to be a career? I would love for it to be full time but I feel it is way too risky to rely on Adsense. I dont use any other form of monetisation.
What is your favorite thing about making videos? My favorite thing is the feedback thereafter. I had a nice comment this morning - 'You inspire me and it gives me ideas on drawings I do and it really helps me out. I really appreciate it'. I also receive lots of thank you's on my automotive channel and I enjoy learning how much money I have saved people by doing their own mechanics.
Who would be your ultimate collaboration partner(s)? I have no interest in collabs on 'EVO'. I am linked to other similar channels and we share each others channels on our home pages.

Why did you start?
Having a place where all my videos are and can be shared, I started trying to grow it in 2016
I started the channel in 2013
Did anyone inspire you?
I don't know
I'm doing videos of my trips / travels. Maybe it gives some people an insight in a destination they consider booking, I don't know
I wouldn't complain, but hitting the lottery is way more realistic haha
Going through all the footage and remember moments again, same for the finished video
I don't know, probably just some regular people ,who enjoy the same. I'm not into any "youtube-stars", so I don't know them

Why did you start?
Funnily enough, it was my math teacher giving us the task of making a video explaining a math concept that got me over the initial fear of many a video with my voice in it. From there I just wanted to make more stuff and my brother also wanted to make gaming videos so I made them with him so we did that for a bit.

Around 5-6 years

Did anyone inspire you?
My first tech video "What's in my Dock" was inspired by a channel called SoldierKnowsBest, I was also very inspired by Jon Rettinger from TechnoBuffalo as I continued to make more videos. I didn't know about MKBHD and Linus and people like them at the time. As for my animation channel, that I started in around September of last year, I was inspired by animators like Aaron Blaise, I wanted to make people aware of their work. The films themselves inspired me though.

One is animation and the other is tech and I love both of the topics, I wanted to share my love for both topics with the world. With the animation channel, I also wanted to find a community of other people that appreciate animation and movies, they were a bit harder to find for me as compared to people interested in tech.

I would love for it to turn into a career but I'm also working to build up other ways of making income so that I won't have to just rely on YouTube. I'd love it if one-day companies could pay for me to go and see film premieres and go to animation related events though, or with my tech channel technology events (although I'm not working as hard on that channel so am not expecting many results).

I'm not going to lie, for my movie reviews my favourite parts are watching the films before making my notes and seeing the responses to the videos after they go live. I edit my videos is very much the same way (even though I've added things like an outro and social links at the beginning). For my "Explaining Animation" and "The Original Story" videos I really enjoy looking up articles for them and teaching myself what I'll then pass on to others on my channel. As for filming, it's often fun but I'm not naturally energetic so it takes a lot of energy out of me.

The SuperCalinBros, Seamus Gorman and Aaron Blaise for my animation channel and people like MKBHD, Austin Evans and Linus for my tech channel. There are loads of other people that I'd love to meet though.

Why did you start?
I have always loved the idea of having a gaming channel for maybe 8 years ever since I watched Hutch, Seananners and Mr Sark at Machinima and even since Rooster Teeth!

I've been doing it seriously for about 4 months now.

Did anyone inspire you?
So many people inspired me, a long list of youtubers that have built for several years.

I most play Fortnite but I really want to do let's plays. I think my videos are fun especially when I play with a team. I'm just a normal gamer so I feel people could relate to me.

It would be amazing if it did, but it has dawned on me in the past month or two that it is going to take me a long time to even start earning anything from youtube.

I really love editing. I love having those brilliant moments in games where I think 'This would look awesome on youtube.'

It sounds crazy but if all my friends were doing this with me. Sharing and editing all our footage to create dynamic gameplay would be ideal for me.

I am just really enjoying this journey and learning new things every day. If someone could look at my channel and give me some advice I'd be more than open to taking it on. I've already received great advice that has strengthened my channel (I think) so the more the merrier.

Why did you start?
Did anyone inspire you?

I started this channel because I kept finding YouTube channels that I thought were great and wished I had some place to shout about how great they were. Finding none as years went by I decided it was time I got on about creating it then.

I started my first YouTube channel probably 10ish years ago.

Yes. About half of the channels in my first 20 or so reviews were inspiration.

I find YouTube channels that seem very undersubscribed and tell viewers about them. That seems important because YouTube makes it easy to find videos from creators who have a bajillion subscribers, but there's no way to really find the little channels making great content (and throwing some 'Creator on the Rise' on their trending tab 3 days a week is a nice gesture but doesn't help me find small channels really.

Yes. That would be lovely.

The most exciting thing about it to me is every time I find a means of making videos faster. Better is noce too, but faster is what actually thrills me.

Ultimate collabs would be anyone with a lot of subscribers helping me to spotlight creators with fewer subscribers. And in terms of specifics I think Jack Conte would be great to collab with just because I think he appreciates a good dance break when it's time for it.

Back