What I Learned While Gaining My First 1,000 Subs

randomlilnikki

Superhero, geek, maker of the loud noises.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian
If there's something to derive from my "insulting" post, it's rely on substance and not "imma gurl XD" which a lot of people do.
I'm not going to engage in a debate without about girls on youtube being girls and gamers and that being an issue, because it's been discussed before and doesn't belong in this thread. I just find your comments unnecessary here, that's all. So if there's anything to be derived from my post, it's stick to the topic of the thread.

ShanSR

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Oh my god!! This post helped me so much!!!! Thanks :D :D :D

I have been watching your videos since when I don't remember :D And you are great!! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1377000934,1377000818][/DOUBLEPOST]One small question ... How do you promote your vids on Wikia :D

Reactions: AmeGaming

TheGamertroid

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey could I ask what subreddit (if any) you posted on to advertise your videos and did you get downvoted to hell when you posted them?

laurenzside

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There's nothing worse than a girl gaming channel who is more about being a girl than playing games i.e. Dodger. I don't know if that's how you are, but being in a Pikachu hoodie for a picture indicates that.

....how does being in a Pikachu hoodie make me look like more of a girl? If a guy were to wear a Pikachu hoodie, does that make them come across as girly? Your statement makes no sense & obviously you've never watched any of my videos because I've never flaunted the fact that I'm a girl because who cares? My demographic is actually split 50/50 between females & males who watch me. If my channel was solely me flaunting my sexuality, I'm pretty sure males would be my main demographic.

And just for the sake of argument, there's nothing worse then a YouTuber who uses pictures of boobs & hot girls in their thumbnails to get views....hypocrite.[DOUBLEPOST=1377032208,1377032061][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh my god!! This post helped me so much!!!! Thanks :D :D :D

I have been watching your videos since when I don't remember :D And you are great!! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1377000934,1377000818][/DOUBLEPOST]One small question ... How do you promote your vids on Wikia :D

You don't promote your videos on Wikia so much as you post your channel there for people to find. I have mine on the Let's Play Wikia and the Wikitubia page. The let's play wikia is good because they have lists of either new LP's or LP's in general that you can add yourself to. So when people are looking for new LP's to follow, your name will be there.[DOUBLEPOST=1377032323][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey could I ask what subreddit (if any) you posted on to advertise your videos and did you get downvoted to hell when you posted them?

Yeah, be very careful with reddit. I've only really had okay & bad experiences with them. I've only posted to the let's play subreddit & the girl gamers subreddit where I wasn't downvoted to hell. Made the mistake of posting to the Minecraft subreddit once...didn't go well.

max20

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Reviewer
Hey, well said, the last part is so true. Dont GIVE UP! Haha :)

ShanSR

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
....how does being in a Pikachu hoodie make me look like more of a girl? If a guy were to wear a Pikachu hoodie, does that make them come across as girly? Your statement makes no sense & obviously you've never watched any of my videos because I've never flaunted the fact that I'm a girl because who cares? My demographic is actually split 50/50 between females & males who watch me. If my channel was solely me flaunting my sexuality, I'm pretty sure males would be my main demographic.

And just for the sake of argument, there's nothing worse then a YouTuber who uses pictures of boobs & hot girls in their thumbnails to get views....hypocrite.[DOUBLEPOST=1377032208,1377032061][/DOUBLEPOST]

You don't promote your videos on Wikia so much as you post your channel there for people to find. I have mine on the Let's Play Wikia and the Wikitubia page. The let's play wikia is good because they have lists of either new LP's or LP's in general that you can add yourself to. So when people are looking for new LP's to follow, your name will be there.[DOUBLEPOST=1377032323][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah, be very careful with reddit. I've only really had okay & bad experiences with them. I've only posted to the let's play subreddit & the girl gamers subreddit where I wasn't downvoted to hell. Made the mistake of posting to the Minecraft subreddit once...didn't go well.
I posted once on the Let's Play subreddit, and they reacted very mean, since that time, I've never used Reddit anymore

zebracrunk

I've Got It
Reaction score

He probably meant wearing the Pikachu hoodie to act like a "nerd gurl xD" because they shape their whole identity through hobbies and flaunt their entry-level knowledge about video games because a lot (not all) of girls describe themselves as geeks just for liking games or animated shows for attention and foolish guys will compliment them to no end. If that isn't who you are, no need to be so defensive. The bit about not monetizing videos was a refreshingly new idea. No point in enabling ads to make 25 cents a month if people are going to be inclined to click away from your videos, which possibly screws you out of future dollars.

By the way, that "boobs and hot girls" picture is actually relevant to the video. Apples and oranges.

ManchildKart

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Congrats on the 1k subscribers, Lauren! Good tips here too, convinced me to sign up to Tumblr and Anook finally.