What does it take to be a SUCCESSFUL YouTuber?

"Not necessarily, even thou search engine does impact a lot on the algorithm new channels or channels that have no popularity or people advertising them are extremely hard to prosper on their own, due to the algorithm that YouTube has, displaying the more popular videos first, that is why its so hard for new channels to get views on their videos, just by the search engine alone."

That's not true at all! It's not based on popularity. I'm ranking above people with millions of subscribers and millions of views because they are doing horrible to no SEO

"What if I told you someone plans their viral video but it does not go viral what then? Even after all the marketeers and etc, and the video is good, it is not bad and etc."

Of course that happens, that's common sense but out of 100 videos that, that is done with? You better believe over 75% go viral. If not those companies and people would not still be in business.

"So far you have not proven anything or provided any proof that I have proven your point. In a perfect world maybe all of this will be true but this is not a perfect world, and neither is YouTube perfect :)"

You proved my point by showing me examples of youtubers who have no clue about SEO or completely SUCK at attempting (if they tried at all, which it doesn't look like it).

That "One minute economics" guy? I could turn him into a BEAST on YouTube and make him the top in his niche at minimum.

But you know what? (this goes to EVERYONE not just you)

Do whatever you feel is best and whatever is working for you! If you are happy with your results? Continue!

I don't have the energy to fight with people to make them successful. Why do I have to fight with people to listen to me to try to make them great?

When years pass and you finally get it? I hope this website is still here and you come back and simply drop a "thank you"

Take care and Good Luck

That's not true at all! It's not based on popularity. I'm ranking above people with millions of subscribers and millions of views because they are doing horrible to no SEO
Is it not really the millions of views you want rather than being at the top for a very specific niche keyword string? I might be the first result for "twitch plays pokemon animated guys we have to beat misty" but noone in the universe will ever search that term. being top for "pokemon animation" is a lot more beneficial for me. But really the search engine only provides around 7% of the views, most of them for me come from suggested, recommended, home page, and external sites. many I have no control over, especially external shares.

Of course that happens, that's common sense but out of 100 videos that, that is done with? You better believe over 75% go viral. If not those companies and people would not still be in business.
over 75%? that seems quite high, just out of curiosity what do you class as 'viral?' i suppose it's probably different for everyone, but I had always thought Viral would be something EVERYONE at school or work etc. has heard of/seen, something with more than 5 million views in a day or two. averaging at about 25mil by the end of a week. Something like "charlie bit my finger" or "waffle falling over" things that the uploader's obviously didn't plan to go viral.

Of course these are just my own experiences and thoughts :)

Is it not really the millions of views you want rather than being at the top for a very specific niche keyword string? I might be the first result for "twitch plays pokemon animated guys we have to beat misty" but noone in the universe will ever search that term. being top for "pokemon animation" is a lot more beneficial for me. But really the search engine only provides around 7% of the views, most of them for me come from suggested, recommended, home page, and external sites. many I have no control over, especially external shares.

Most of my views come from "YouTube Search" it beats out suggested videos etc.

I do keyword research and I desire to rank for things that my audience is actually searching for. To be completely honest, I would rather get someone who was looking for "how to lose arm fat" than to attract someone who was looking for "arm fat" just based off of keyword research. "How to lose arm fat" would give me more targeted traffic and a higher retention because my content is EXACTLY what they want.

Your example wasn't a good one. You want to use a long-tail keyword or a keyphrase that people are actually searching for. People looking for pokemon animation could literally want to find out how to draw and create a pokemon animation for underground or deviant art, who knows. So you would never want to rank for "Pokemon animation" because the sooner you get there? the faster you'll be dropped.

You don't want the 1mil willy nilly views, I'd take 10k targeted over 1mil general ANY day. Why? because targeted equals more quality views and targeted is easily converted into subs. The seo work I do get's me to the top, but it being targeted? Keeps me there!

over 75%? that seems quite high, just out of curiosity what do you class as 'viral?' i suppose it's probably different for everyone, but I had always thought Viral would be something EVERYONE at school or work etc. has heard of/seen, something with more than 5 million views in a day or two. averaging at about 25mil by the end of a week. Something like "charlie bit my finger" or "waffle falling over" things that the uploader's obviously didn't plan to go viral.

Of course these are just my own experiences and thoughts :)

Viral is suggestive right? so everyone has their opinion on it. I was stating a fact that people are not going to hire a company to develop a viral video for them, they fail, and then they continue to hire the company. That would equal insanity.

Hope the information I gave enlightened you. I find so many people are misinformed about SEO but they still choose to stick by the methods, ideas, and information they have even though it never worked for them. Like you said only 7% of your traffic comes from search. I hope you take the advice seriously and dig into SEO as it WILL make you grow a lot bigger much faster. Good luck bro ^_^

Your example wasn't a good one. You want to use a long-tail keyword or a keyphrase that people are actually searching for. People looking for pokemon animation could literally want to find out how to draw and create a pokemon animation for underground or deviant art, who knows. So you would never want to rank for "Pokemon animation" because the sooner you get there? the faster you'll be dropped.
This I would disagree with, since the average view duration for that specific keyword is very high, people are expecting animation when searching animation, the only other people would be the ones looking for the anime, and not knowing the term anime. even so, those interested in the official cartoon are still viable viewers for me.

i think its just a case of our topics differing by a lot, you're wanting people who are specifically searching for how to type videos. Those people want specifics. someone wanting to loose weight on their legs, might not be interested in loosing weight from their arms for instance.
Whereas Im looking for ANYONE interested in pokemon, and animation, and many people though they don't get all the in jokes, do enjoy the comedy aspect, or the slapstick, or the visuals. its something that can appeal to a lot of different people at once, so aiming to have a variety of people see it is the way to go in my opinion (for this type of video)

so many people are misinformed about SEO but they still choose to stick by the methods, ideas, and information they have even though it never worked for them. Like you said only 7% of your traffic comes from search. I hope you take the advice seriously and dig into SEO as it WILL make you grow a lot bigger much faster. Good luck bro ^_^

yep, definitely wanting to improve my SEO in general, i just want to reach as many people as possible, but its already going well so far, so i can't complain!
thanks, and good luck to you too!

I'm sorry I didn't know you were a youtube God and no one could have different opinions.. how many followers do you have again?

I'm sorry I didn't know you were a youtube God and no one could have different opinions.. how many followers do you have again?
I'm not a "YouTube God" never claimed to be. I know what I know, and I don't know what I don't know. I know saying it has to do with "luck" is purely foolish. Followers? Over 100k, how about you? ^_^

I'm curious if you could elaborate a little bit on some of your SEO tricks. How do you optimize a title for example? Do you first search Youtube for competing videos.. Then search google/youtube to see trends.

Arguing over the contribution of luck isn't taking this conversation anywhere.

Even if Luck is a factor (and I'm not arguing here that it is or is not), good SEO optimization is absolutely a thing that can influence your views -- as are all of the other tips Keli is giving.

Rather than argue about an element that, if it exists, we know we can't change -- let's argue about the elements we can change.

Keli: Do you have any good starting points for researching SEO? I've worked for a major blogging platform for years, but it's a concept I still don't get. They mostly let us write our own headlines, and have another team that deals with promotion (though we have some guidelines we follow to make sure things don't get messed up -- specific tagging rules, for instance). What's the best way to start learning about SEO for YouTube?

Keli: Do you have any good starting points for researching SEO? I've worked for a major blogging platform for years, but it's a concept I still don't get. They mostly let us write our own headlines, and have another team that deals with promotion (though we have some guidelines we follow to make sure things don't get messed up -- specific tagging rules, for instance). What's the best way to start learning about SEO for YouTube?

Starting points? Yes! Realize that optimizing your video is done before, during, and after the video is posted. <--- this is something most people don't know.
Also, be ready willing and able to do EVERYTHING to optimize your video. Most people are lazy and they do a few things and they say "wow I've ranked!" not realizing it's not about getting on the first page but the TRUE masters of SEO stay there.

The blogging platform was smart, as they gave people different jobs so the left hand wouldn't know what the right hand was doing essentially. This way none of you could say "hey, now that I know the secret sauce? let me do this on my own!". I must state though, YouTube SEO is very different from Google SEO.

The best way to learn about SEO is to find an expert and pay them to teach you, buy their package, tutorials, courses or whatever they have. The information given by YouTube is very basic and most of it no longer applies as the info hasn't been updated and algorithms have changed. This option will save you YEARS of trial and error. just make sure whoever you decide to invest in, can show you multiple examples or even a live example of them ranking a video on the first page.

Or if you don't have the money to make an investment that will save you time? I suggest trial and error. The problem is people hear tips and consider them to be GOLD. No matter how many times they use it and it doesn't work for them or blatantly fails. Try, try, try, if it doesn't work? Analyze, and then scrap! Move on. Don't do ANYTHING that violates YouTube TOS. You don't have to and you will still rank higher than anyone who used illegal tactics. Stand by the things that work and incorporate them with everything else, measure your success, and the things that don't work? Scrap!

Hope that helped

Back