What do you think of "doing it for the money!"

HiddenVoices

SCP Foundation Researcher
Very recently with the advertising issues, I've seen a number of my favourite YouTubers call it quits because their revenue has gone down to a level they can't use their channels to support themselves anymore. I see them get a lot of flak for this. A lot of criticism and browbeating about "Oh, guess you never cared, guess it was always about the money!"

What are your thoughts on this? I personally have never become so emotionally invested as to find it offensive even if it's outright true. I guess I just see these people as entertainers and I'm happy to have seen their content at all. I think it's silly to get so angry that they should decide to pull the plug on something that ultimately belongs to them completely, even if there is a community that has built itself up around them.

Has any of those youtubers really quit? They must be really big youtubers so I can't imagine their channel not making enough.

Has any of those youtubers really quit? They must be really big youtubers so I can't imagine their channel not making enough.
One of my favourites, Be.Busta, just did. Well technically he moved over to Twitch to do strictly livestreaming I believe, but his goodbye video was pretty much exactly as described along with the many mean comments accusing him. It was pretty sad.

I've heard of some Youtubers setting up patreon accounts so they can afford to continue being Youtubers. It would make me sad if any of them quit, but I don't think we should hold it against them.

Eh, if it really is their main source of income, I can't really blame them. However, they knew the risks of not having a regular job and putting all their eggs into such a risky basket. With all these new rules coming out every other month that ends up screwing Youtubers over... they should keep a day job as well so they don't have to run to Twitch and whatnot.

Eh, if it really is their main source of income, I can't really blame them. However, they knew the risks of not having a regular job and putting all their eggs into such a risky basket. With all these new rules coming out every other month that ends up screwing Youtubers over... they should keep a day job as well so they don't have to run to Twitch and whatnot.
There's definitely been a lot going on with YouTube that seems to be having a larger effect than any before in driving people away or at the very least, forcing them to seek alternatives (like Twitch, VidMe, etc.).

There's definitely been a lot going on with YouTube that seems to be having a larger effect than any before in driving people away or at the very least, forcing them to seek alternatives (like Twitch, VidMe, etc.).
I kinda feel they got too used/reliant on Youtube that they go seek alternatives like Twitch, VidMe and the like instead of going out there and getting a regular job. I'd at least call my old bosses to see if they were hiring.

This reminds me of that one video AngryJoe made complaining about how Youtube was ruining his livelihood after he quit his job and whatnot. Well... you probably shouldn't have quit that job then.

I am not doing it just for the money, I do it because it motivates me to go and travel, and at the same time, helping me with my english, helping me with talking to a lot of people!
As said, I´m not doing it just for the money!

While I can see people being a little upset at YouTube not offering the income it used to with their being used to a certain amount, I've never laboured under the impression that YouTube could or should be expected to support one economically.

Like, if you have a platform on YouTube, you should be building other sources of income as safety nets - sure, Patreon, but like, doing commissions, writing/selling books, designing t-shirts and graphics, running a successful website... Et cetera.

Like, I'd love to make money with YouTube, but it would be mad to think you could get a 9 to 5 salary from it, surely?

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with putting your eggs into the YouTube basket if you've built up the audience. Maybe it's not very practical or safe, but I guess it's up to the people involved. And yeah, there's definitely the extra safety net of doing something like setting up a Patreon account or the like.

Back