What do you think of "doing it for the money!"

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
People can do what they want, maybe they started their channel as a hobby, but now they have a family, or a bigger house or extra bills in some other way. Even with a second job sometimes it's not enough depending on circumstances. Just cause someone started as a hobby doesn't mean they are obliged to carry on regardless of their circumstances

Reactions: Idec Sdawkminn

CrazFrank

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
that is the main reason why i do this. i love the hobby but its not worth if it has 0 potential of earning an income out of it.
This world is design that way so i see no bad reason behind doing it for the money.[DOUBLEPOST=1502474742,1502474727][/DOUBLEPOST]
For me its only about the money. If YouTube stopped paying I would stop creating.
Agreed[DOUBLEPOST=1502474997][/DOUBLEPOST]
Very recently with the advertising issues, I've seen a number of my favourite YouTubers call it quits because their revenue has gone down to a level they can't use their channels to support themselves anymore. I see them get a lot of flak for this. A lot of criticism and browbeating about "Oh, guess you never cared, guess it was always about the money!"

What are your thoughts on this? I personally have never become so emotionally invested as to find it offensive even if it's outright true. I guess I just see these people as entertainers and I'm happy to have seen their content at all. I think it's silly to get so angry that they should decide to pull the plug on something that ultimately belongs to them completely, even if there is a community that has built itself up around them.
He posted one week ago...i am lost.. i thought u said he quit :3
Sounds to me like his revenue went considerably down but he can solve it by getting a s****y 4h part time.

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I'd have to respectfully disagree with:
The point I was making is; I dont understand the people that are annoyed at content creators for not being okay with (or having to quit youtube,because of) a lack on income,
of course if you're in a prestigious job and you turn up drunk, or start shouting at people you'd expect to be fired, but since YouTube has recently changed their 'system' (algorithm, how they deal with clients, however it's changed) and people are still getting used to it, I can see why people would be slightly annoyed or put off by their income drastically reducing.
Also, From what I am aware, advertisers don't have a choice in who they pay, in terms of specific youtubers being blacklisted/whitelisted, or maybe even types of youtubers.. I'm sure a lot of companies would be fine advertising on YouTuber's that occasionally swear ect

I don't think it's YouTube's fault at all that views/revenue reduced, if I were in their shoes I would do the exact same thing, but I can still be annoyed by it (it doesn't effect me personally, since I don't make a living off YouTube haha)

Not sure if that made sense, i'm lacking sleep hahaha

CrazFrank

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
3rd edit....

Wait a minute lol, this guy as a patreon and makes $732 of $1,000 per Week + w/e youtube gives him. Youre telling me he cannot survive with 1k+ a week?!!!?!?!?!? and here i am leaving with maby 500 a week.............................................................................................................................................................................................................
with 1k a week i can afford kids too if i had them, not to hate on the guy but clearly this is bad management of money.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I already have a good job so I don't need the money. I'd much rather have the cult of personality over the money any day

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
YouTube allows for people to make content for money, so I don't see what's wrong with doing it just for money. It's a legitimate business to start, as long as you do it right and are able to make it work, and if it's not paying off monetarily in a way that works for you, then there's nothing wrong with abandoning it as a business.

Reactions: darkstarmedia

Noobzilla

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't care what other people do with their channels. I try to focus on my channel and what I can control.

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If it's their main source of income, I can understand that there's not as much point pouring all your time into a channel that isn't rewarding you enough to cover bills and rent, etc.
A lot of YouTubers I follow have set up Patreon accounts to help them get by due to the algorithm being so unpredictable and I don't see any issues with that myself. Heck, I've got a Patreon account myself.

Reactions: Gamayun