Understanding Taxes for Self-Employed YouTubers

I didn't earn more than $15 last year. Google didn't send me a check because I didn't reach the threshold. I don't have pay taxes. Right?
Yes, that's right. Until the money is in your actual possession, you don't owe any taxes on it, and they generally don't tax you for only $15 of income. ;)

to much text, i got bored at the 2nd paragraph.... :(

Would it be relevant to mention this is applicable in the United States? Thank you for that information! I've been looking at that since I started monetizing but I didn't earn anything in the tax year of 2013 so I will not be filing for anything.

I was wondering how state taxes work in your state if you are self-employed?
Hawaii has something called an annual or quarterly income filing period.[DOUBLEPOST=1389928953,1389928878][/DOUBLEPOST]
Did you expect tax information to be quick and simple? Haha.
Haha I made it about half way though the whole page. I will make sure to come back and read more when it is time to file my taxes. But this is good to know information. Thanks!

If I make travel videos, I wonder if I can deduct the expense of travel...I might have to get an accountant because primarily we have been shooting in our house and yard! But we are starting to expand beyond that.

If I make travel videos, I wonder if I can deduct the expense of travel...I might have to get an accountant because primarily we have been shooting in our house and yard! But we are starting to expand beyond that.
It would be wise to consult an accountant on that, but I would think that if your YouTube income came from travel. Just keep in mind, meals eaten during business/travel only count 50% towards deductions.

This looks really useful, thanks for sharing!! (I knew there was a reason why I joined this forum... so many constructive threads :D)

Here's to hoping that one day I'll actually have to use this information :p
...but with 15 subs, it's gonna be some time, lol

I have a question. I never received a 1099-Misc and it's already March so do I have to fill out one of those? I'm not sure which of the 1040 forms to fill out, 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.

I have a question. I never received a 1099-Misc and it's already March so do I have to fill out one of those? I'm not sure which of the 1040 forms to fill out, 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.
Did you earn more than $600 in 2013? Did you earn income from anything other than YouTube?

Back