Understanding Taxes for Self-Employed YouTubers

xandru8

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
then w8 what if they come to live in Europe ? how many laws from America would be still mandatory for him/her ? lets say they came to live here and if for example a European goes to America for a few months then would the same laws be mandatory form the first moment to the European person as well ?

jessiblahtv

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger, Ranter
then w8 what if they come to live in Europe ? how many laws from America would be still mandatory for him/her ? lets say they came to live here and if for example a European goes to America for a few months then would the same laws be mandatory form the first moment to the European person as well ?
It's just a guess but I'd say that they would need to pay the same taxes as everyone else in the country if they're there on a working visa.

Reactions: xandru8

phoenixblue

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Designer, Cartoonist, Animator
Thanks for the great thread Kleineganz.
I was talking with TurboTax people for the last hour before noticing this thread.

You said $600 in the op but I believe in 2013, it is $400 or more.

IRS: "You have to file an income tax return if your net earnings from self-employment were $400 or more."

I still never received my 1099-Misc, does the network send it?

(Also here's a useful chart to determine if you need to pay state tax in California: ftb.ca.gov/forms/2013_California_Tax_Rates_and_Exemptions.shtml#ifr)

Kleineganz

Opinionated Vlogger and Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
Thanks for the great thread Kleineganz.
I was talking with TurboTax people for the last hour before noticing this thread.

You said $600 in the op but I believe in 2013, it is $400 or more.

IRS: "You have to file an income tax return if your net earnings from self-employment were $400 or more."

I still never received my 1099-Misc, does the network send it?

(Also here's a useful chart to determine if you need to pay state tax in California: ftb.ca.gov/forms/2013_California_Tax_Rates_and_Exemptions.shtml#ifr)
You have to file quarterly estimated taxes if you expect to owe $1000 or more in taxes. As for the $600, that's the minimum earned in order to get a 1099-Misc, which is filed with your annual tax return.

Reaction score
This is very useful and interesting, but I just want to point out one small mistake: the cost for the health surcharge should be $7,200--not $72,000. The health surcharge is 0.9%, which is less than 1 percent. $72,000 would be 9%.

Kleineganz

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
This is very useful and interesting, but I just want to point out one small mistake: the cost for the health surcharge should be $7,200--not $72,000. The health surcharge is 0.9%, which is less than 1 percent. $72,000 would be 9%.
You're correct. I did make an error. I multiplied by 0.09 and it should have been 0.009. I'll correct that. Thanks.

Kyle.

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread, I was looking for something like this.

Doing things like claiming area of your home as an office or writing off games really increase the chance of an audit though, which would be a pain.

Kleineganz

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
Thanks for the thread, I was looking for something like this.

Doing things like claiming area of your home as an office or writing off games really increase the chance of an audit though, which would be a pain.
Yeah I think it depends on what you plan to write-off. Since I run my own business (not YouTube related), and I have a full office dedicated *just* for that, I'm less worried about it triggering an audit (plus we have a CPA who advises us on what can or cannot be deducted, and if there's any increased risk of audit). Generally, when in doubt, consult a CPA just to make sure.

Franklin

Yugituber
Reaction score
Website
awesomecardgames.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I didn't earn more than $15 last year. Google didn't send me a check because I didn't reach the threshold. I don't have pay taxes. Right?