Ultimate Guide To SEO (Appear At The Top Of Searches!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
After Google created the Panda update, backlinks have become much more important, but only genuine ones. Thanks for a great post. I will definatly edit the original with some of your suggestions. :)

Quickly want to correct you in saying, that the Panda update doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the YouTube search algorithm.
Also, Google Panda didn't target links at all, but the quality of websites - such as duplicate content, bad design, bad/short content, and long loading times. This goes for both the 2011 Panda update, as well as the 2013 Panda update.
In fact, the general consensus is that backlinks have become less important over the years, not more important.

Also, this general misconception about backlinks to YouTube (you're far from the only one, I see it practically everywhere SEO is mentioned for YouTube), bothered me so much, that I decided to create a case study around it, analysing the backlinks for 15 different videos, in 6 different search terms, looking at the link structure of the 3 highest ranking videos in each search term. The result? Zero correlation between links and views - in fact, there was a negative correlation.
If you want, you can read the entire thing here:
novelconcept(DOT)org/youtube-backlinks-do-they-help-seo/

ConnersCraft

I Make Video Games... :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Quickly want to correct you in saying, that the Panda update doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the YouTube search algorithm.
Also, Google Panda didn't target links at all, but the quality of websites - such as duplicate content, bad design, bad/short content, and long loading times. This goes for both the 2011 Panda update, as well as the 2013 Panda update.
In fact, the general consensus is that backlinks have become less important over the years, not more important.

Also, this general misconception about backlinks to YouTube (you're far from the only one, I see it practically everywhere SEO is mentioned for YouTube), bothered me so much, that I decided to create a case study around it, analysing the backlinks for 15 different videos, in 6 different search terms, looking at the link structure of the 3 highest ranking videos in each search term. The result? Zero correlation between links and views - in fact, there was a negative correlation.
If you want, you can read the entire thing here:
novelconcept(DOT)org/youtube-backlinks-do-they-help-seo/
I'll make sure to check that out when I get the time, but it has always worked out for me. And Panda was an update to Google's search engine to stop the one page websites from ranking at the top of searches to sell their dumb products. The "Sniper Sites" as they have been commonly referred to in the past. To do this, they made having a larger website an advantage for you. In my experience, I have found that having the extra genuine backlinks has also been successful. I do believe that this has effected YouTube's searches as well as Google, because they are very similar algorithms. I may be wrong completely on this part, or it may be right. No case study can prove differently unless you actually get your hands on the algorithm (which neither of us will ever do sadly). Thanks for your input, but I have to believe that they do still have a small positive effect on your videos ranking as my videos taking advantage of them have always ranked higher. Again, thanks for your input and help in improving this thread.

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'll make sure to check that out when I get the time, but it has always worked out for me. And Panda was an update to Google's search engine to stop the one page websites from ranking at the top of searches to sell their dumb products. The "Sniper Sites" as they have been commonly referred to in the past. To do this, they made having a larger website an advantage for you. In my experience, I have found that having the extra genuine backlinks has also been successful.

Well... yes. But that has nothing to do with backlinks, like you mentioned. The Panda update, no matter what you say, wasn't directed at that. It's the Penguin algorithm update, which targeted link spam, not the Panda update. Again, Panda didn't (directly) target backlinks at all, but the ON PAGE content. Or did you just completely mix up the two algorithm updates?

And of course great, genuine backlinks can be helpful. That's a "duh". But again, that has nothing to do with the Panda update, and barely something to do with the Penguin update.

I do believe that this has effected YouTube's searches as well as Google, because they are very similar algorithms. I may be wrong completely on this part, or it may be right. No case study can prove differently unless you actually get your hands on the algorithm (which neither of us will ever do sadly).
Well, that's a rubbish statement, isn't it? Yes, Google is the only one who knows the exact specific details about their algorithm - but that doesn't mean that testing it ourselves won't give us an idea of how it works. That's the reason that internet giants like Ahrefs spend time publishing tests and case studies on SEO.

Thanks for your input, but I have to believe that they do still have a small positive effect on your videos ranking as my videos taking advantage of them have always ranked higher. Again, thanks for your input and help in improving this thread.
Out of curiosity, have you ever actually tested this? Have two videos, similar in topic and length (and "quality"), with no other SEO factors, and backlink one and not the other? Or just simply have a video with very poor on-page SEO, and after say 1 month, start backlinking it, and see if it ranks better after that?
What I find is, that most people that still say that backlinking works, make a mistake in causation and correlation. They put up a video, create backlinks, see it ranking, and go "See! The backlinks made me rank!", when really there could be a wealth of other factors making the video rank.

ConnersCraft

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Out of curiosity, have you ever actually tested this? Have two videos, similar in topic and length (and "quality"), with no other SEO factors, and backlink one and not the other? Or just simply have a video with very poor on-page SEO, and after say 1 month, start backlinking it, and see if it ranks better after that?
What I find is, that most people that still say that backlinking works, make a mistake in causation and correlation. They put up a video, create backlinks, see it ranking, and go "See! The backlinks made me rank!", when really there could be a wealth of other factors making the video rank.
If I were to tell you that I have made two very similar videos and backlinked one on purpose I would be lying. I have done some mini case studies on my own channels though. For example, I had a video ranking on the bottom of page two for a very popular search. (It got 20+ views a day from searches near the bottom of page two without a custom thumbnail) I then posted that video to a couple of places creating back links, and it was ranked near bottom of page 1 a few days later for the same search. This video had been public for over 2 months. I would consider that a successful case study as the video now gets more than double the daily views, and it is slowly ranking higher. I actually just changed the description of it and added it to a new playlist, so I will have to see how that effects it soon. I have had numerous small "studies" like this one on my channel that have shown a positive correlation between search engine views and backlinks.

MRInuzaki

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Wow thank you for making this post i will be sure to try it out and then post my progress if i remember XD

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If I were to tell you that I have made two very similar videos and backlinked one on purpose I would be lying. I have done some mini case studies on my own channels though. For example, I had a video ranking on the bottom of page two for a very popular search. (It got 20+ views a day from searches near the bottom of page two without a custom thumbnail) I then posted that video to a couple of places creating back links, and it was ranked near bottom of page 1 a few days later for the same search. This video had been public for over 2 months. I would consider that a successful case study as the video now gets more than double the daily views, and it is slowly ranking higher. I actually just changed the description of it and added it to a new playlist, so I will have to see how that effects it soon. I have had numerous small "studies" like this one on my channel that have shown a positive correlation between search engine views and backlinks.

Well, the first problem here is, that it's unlikely that the backlink was even indexed that fast. When doing backlinks for Google, people expect 2-4 weeks of indexing time. Unless your video received a lot of traffic from those links (which you could just check in your analytics), it's extremely unlikely that backlinks would affect the ranking of the video "a few days later". You could also throw the video in Ahrefs, and see if it picks up those backlinks at all.

Next, lets assume they were good quality links, and people were coming through them: did those people comment on the video? Rate it? View it for a long time? If so, any of those would be a much better indicator of why your video ranked higher, than the backlink itself.
It's like testing a new drug, but not having a placebo group.

Next of course is the issue of the ranking itself. The ranking you see, is most likely not the ranking I see. The ranking I see, is most likely not the ranking a random user from here would see. YouTube personalizes results much more than the Google results (or, at least, does it in a more hidden way), so it's hard to say if the ranking increase you saw, was a general rank increase at all. Not saying it's not, but I'm saying that checking from your own computer, isn't a viable way to tell if the rank changed or not.

Last, of course, there's the Google Dance, which exists even more so on YouTube. Rankings change all the frickin' time, for no reason whatsoever (observable to us). New videos come out, old videos gets taken down, things trending, and whathaveyou. If this was done on a website, saying "I made this backlink, and a few days later, my site had moved up" that would count for nothing. Small changes happen all the time.

Now, I do want to make this clear:
I'm NOT saying that genuine, great, traffic providing backlinks mean nothing. I do personally believe they do. But I have yet to see a single shred of half-decent evidence to actually support that, let alone support that they have a big impact on rankings. In fact, everything I see point in the direct opposite direction. Which makes sense, YouTube is a social site, it puts weight on very different aspects.

So yes, backlinks are certainly relevant to your video. Or, at least, they can be, if done right. At least I think so - I mean, after all, I have nothing to back that up. I can back up the opposite though. But it is my clear belief that for a backlink to have any significant, measurable, impact on your videos, it needs to either provide you with decent traffic, or come from a very high authority site (which would probably provide you with traffic anyway).

relliK42

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Very helpful tips :D I've recently redone the way I use my tags and I'm still tweaking them.

zebracrunk

I've Got It
Reaction score
Philip, if you've developed such a great service, why is your own channel still quite small? Even if you prefer to help other people get bigger and don't care about your own YouTube success, your titles and stuff aren't very optimized.

Reactions: ConnersCraft

ConnersCraft

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Philip, if you've developed such a great service, why is your own channel still quite small? Even if you prefer to help other people get bigger and don't care about your own YouTube success, your titles and stuff aren't very optimized.
Oh Snap! The Zebra went there! But seriously this is a great question. It has to make customers doubt the legitimacy of the service.

Reactions: PChanger

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger

Perfectly reasonable question :) (though I wish you had asked it in the appropriate thread, so the discussion doesn't go off-topic on this one)
Because you can't do case studies, if you optimize everything. Just like any other decent experiment, you need different test groups! As such, there's videos there are optimized, some that are "sort of" optimized, and some that are not - so that I can verify the effects of different decisions in the process.

Out of the XXXXX videos on my channel, roughly 25 have been properly optimized (with varying degrees) - out of those 25, there are 2 videos with less than 1000 views (which I assume is because of low search volume), there are 5 with over 1.000 views, 6 with over 2.000 views, 4 with over 3.000 views, 3 with over 6.000 views, 3 with over 10.000 views, 1 with 43.000 views, and 1 with over 130.000 views. All in all, an average of 11.102 views per video, that is optimized. I think that's pretty decent, for an inactive (currently) channel, with 1k subs.

"your titles and stuff aren't very optimized."
Not entirely sure what "stuff" is, so I obviously can't comment on that :)
I also wonder how you know my titles aren't optimized, when you don't know what search term I'm going for? :)

Oh Snap! The Zebra went there! But seriously this is a great question. It has to make customers doubt the legitimacy of the service.

See answers above :)

Status
Not open for further replies.