Toxicity in your comment section

Do you filter your comment section?

• I filter out bad words and look through them later.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I leave it open! Freedom of speech!

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I keep an eye once in awhile to make sure my subs aren't being harassed

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I don't allow comments.

• They can argue all they wan't free views for me!

• Total voters

Free Commercial Use Music

Just curious what your thoughts are on arguments in your comments section. Some may argue it's great for engagement as it equals more views and more comments but how much is too much?

Eventually with too much junk people may just become turned off and unsubscribe.

Being only at around 60 subs, i do not get much toxicity. I do not really get comments in general. I do get random people commenting on my videos asking me to subscribe to them though. I normally just remove the comment and be done with it.

I don't have a lot of toxic comments on my channel. I believe some children watch my videos, so I try to keep them and my comment section clean. I won't personally get in any arguments but I won't stop any civil arguments. I also try and moderate comments that reveal how tricks are done.

Not ran in to this yet, but I will always make sure to watch the comment section to diffuse any tension that may build up between commentators. I want to try and keep it a friendly safe place!

I delete/block any commenter being a jerk/troll/dumbass, whether they are arguing or just commenting.. if they can argue and be civil/grown up about it, then i leave them.

Just curious what your thoughts are on arguments in your comments section. Some may argue it's great for engagement as it equals more views and more comments but how much is too much?

Eventually with too much junk people may just become turned off and unsubscribe.
As @The NotARubicon! said, if the people are able to debate maturely about things, then definitely leave the comments be. But if the comments are obviously escalating into something super negative, then it's best to delete whatever seems really bad for your channel.

What would probably be good is to develop a set of rules/guidelines for the moderation of your channel's comment section. You can choose to keep these rules for your own reference or you can share it with your community somehow, but just make a point to figure out where you draw the line. This helps you spend less time and energy thinking about what to do with the toxic comments moving forward.

My comments section is a toxic wasteland. And I never delete any comments and I even approve every single spam comment, even if it's paragraphs of random characters.

Toxicity in your comments section... that's a good turn of phrase, toxic comments. I share the same position as others, not enough comments for there to be any toxicity. Negative comments I likely would leave, but toxic comments, something that's devolved to the point of hate mongering... yeah, deletes-ville for sure. It's like YouTube version of graffiti... and not the good kind that's pretty to look at, but the bad kind you have to paint over.

Back