Thoughts on the adpocalypse 2020?

This is not some yt update, this is the f*cking government.

How im supposed to ever sleep again with minecraft videos uploaded while some FTC boomer is trying to find them and sue me? And im not even from the US, so im not sure. Can they still sue me? or they can just delete the channel? f**k

I know. That's why all this crap looks so scary. When the only line of reasoning you have is "Oh well, there are millions of channels out there, how are they gonna find ME?"
It's the US government bruh. They gonna find you if they want to.

I recently posted a poll on my Community tab:

YT's statistic tell me there are 0.1% of people below the age of 18. Unless 11% of those 319 votes are trolls, that's clearly not the case.
That also means that for at least a very small minority of kids out there, even MY channel is "appealing". And the content I do does technically fall under the "fantasy" category.

So, as outlandish as this looks like, FTC can just come in and say "Hey MinMax, your content is appealing to some kids out there. Pay a fine and mark your videos as 'Yes, it is made for kids'. No? OK great, our prosecutors will be in contact with you shortly."

Here's a link to the FTC's public conference. I urge you all to watch this. Trust me, this is serious:

This is not some yt update, this is the f*cking government.

How im supposed to ever sleep again with minecraft videos uploaded while some FTC boomer is trying to find them and sue me? And im not even from the US, so im not sure. Can they still sue me? or they can just delete the channel? f**k

Look, you're not the only one who's worried about this s**t. I absolutely despise how the FTC is okay with all this stuff when millions of people's entertainment choices are really f*cked. I just wanna watch some random crap on YouTube while maintaining my channel. I don't want anyone to suffer with YouTube and the Internet being regulated the same way local television is.

everyone needs to relax. Read the FTC's update that was posted today. https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blo...channel-owners-your-content-directed-children Clearly mentions this

"The Rule allows for civil penalties of up to $42,530 per violation, but the FTC considers a number of factors in determining the appropriate amount, including a company’s financial condition and the impact a penalty could have on its ability to stay in business. While Google and YouTube paid $170 million, in another COPPA case settled this year, the operator paid a total civil penalty of $35,000."

The fines aren't always the same amount and it depends on financial status. Interesting that it doesn't once mention personal funds It's more geared towards large companies or businesses. I'm living on social security and have food stamps. They aren't gonna fine me and if they tried I have no money to pay anything.

Also this blog post references this about animations specifically

"Second, just because your video has bright colors or animated characters doesn’t mean you’re automatically covered by COPPA. While many animated shows are directed to kids, the FTC recognizes there can be animated programming that appeals to everyone." So they are evaluating not randomly handing out fines.

Another section of this blog points out this

"If your videos are about traditionally adult activities like employment, finances, politics, home ownership, home improvement, or travel, you’re probably not covered unless your content is geared toward kids. The same would be true for videos aimed at high school or college students. On the other hand, if your content includes traditional children’s pastimes or activities, it may be child-directed. For example, the FTC recently determined that an online dress-up game was child-directed."

The way I take this to mean is if you are making a video about let's plays for grand theft auto that's not for kids. Nor is a music video unless it's a child song. Think Sesame Street. That's child directed. But Making a spoof of Elmo singing Eminem for example isn't child directed.

everyone needs to relax. Read the FTC's update that was posted today. https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blo...channel-owners-your-content-directed-children Clearly mentions this

"The Rule allows for civil penalties of up to $42,530 per violation, but the FTC considers a number of factors in determining the appropriate amount, including a company’s financial condition and the impact a penalty could have on its ability to stay in business. While Google and YouTube paid $170 million, in another COPPA case settled this year, the operator paid a total civil penalty of $35,000."

The fines aren't always the same amount and it depends on financial status. Interesting that it doesn't once mention personal funds It's more geared towards large companies or businesses. I'm living on social security and have food stamps. They aren't gonna fine me and if they tried I have no money to pay anything.

"Second, just because your video has bright colors or animated characters doesn’t mean you’re automatically covered by COPPA. While many animated shows are directed to kids, the FTC recognizes there can be animated programming that appeals to everyone." So they are evaluating not randomly handing out fines.

"If your videos are about traditionally adult activities like employment, finances, politics, home ownership, home improvement, or travel, you’re probably not covered unless your content is geared toward kids. The same would be true for videos aimed at high school or college students. On the other hand, if your content includes traditional children’s pastimes or activities, it may be child-directed. For example, the FTC recently determined that an online dress-up game was child-directed."

The way I take this to mean is if you are making a video about let's plays for grand theft auto that's not for kids. Nor is a music video unless it's a child song. Think Sesame Street. That's child-directed. But Making a spoof of Elmo singing Eminem, for example, isn't child-directed.

What you're talking about is common sense on a case-by-case basis. But, can you realistically expect that FTC will be relying solely on manpower to audit tens of millions of YouTube channels?

Of course not. There's already a YT algorithm in place that marks videos as "made for kids" even if you select "not made for kids" - I just watched a 100k subscribers YouTuber show it in his own YouTube video.

And if you think the US government won't issue ludicrous fines just because you don't make much off of YT adds directly, I'm sorry to be rude to you, but you need a reality check.

And even if you don't get targeted by FTC due to their lack of manpower and/or technology to cast a wide-enough net, rest assured YT bots will start false-flagging Mario, Pokemon, Sponge Bob and other channels because all "cartoons" are apparently "kid directed" content.

I'm not even from US and I know very well how absolutely horrific, merciless and agressive your government can be sometimes...

Last edited:

The way I take this to mean is if you are making a video about let's plays for grand theft auto that's not for kids. Nor is a music video unless it's a child song. Think Sesame Street. That's child directed. But Making a spoof of Elmo singing Eminem for example isn't child directed.

still vague

what about minecraft animations

What you're talking about is common sense on a case-by-case basis. But, can you realistically expect that FTC will be relying solely on manpower to audit tens of millions of YouTube channels?

Of course not. There's already a YT algorithm in place that marks videos as "made for kids" even if you select "not made for kids" - I just watched a 100k subscribers YouTuber show it in his own YouTube video.

And if you think the US government won't issue ludicrous fines just because you don't make much off of YT adds directly, I'm sorry to be rude to you, but you need a reality check.

And even if you don't get targeted by FTC due to their lack of manpower and/or technology to cast a wide-enough net, rest assured YT bots will start false-flagging Mario, Pokemon, Sponge Bob and other channels because all "cartoons" are apparently "kid directed" content.

I'm not even from US and I know very well how absolutely horrific, merciless and agressive your government can be sometimes...

my the government can’t fine someone who has zero income. I have social security.

everyone needs to relax. Read the FTC's update that was posted today...

Yeah, this is getting blown way out of proportion with guesswork. I realize a lot of YT "experts" need to fan the flames to get views, but this is getting ridiculous. That is why I quit watching all the 'YT advice' channels - there is only so much real information to give. Then they just speculate to scare up views. Everything is going to kill YT, or take your money, or google will eat your first born child...

Yeah, this is getting blown way out of proportion with guesswork. I realize a lot of YT "experts" need to fan the flames to get views, but this is getting ridiculous. That is why I quit watching all the 'YT advice' channels - there is only so much real information to give. Then they just speculate to scare up views. Everything is going to kill YT, or take your money, or google will eat your first born child...
If you're referring to the FTC'S 'in-between' option, that won't help unless YouTube actually adds it.

Do you have a link?

Back