Thoughts on the adpocalypse 2020?

If YouTube or the FTC deletes channels will this delete our google accounts? If so how does one change their google account? can I like make a new google account and then add the new google account under youtube settings?

If YouTube or the FTC deletes channels will this delete our google accounts? If so how does one change their google account? can I like make a new google account and then add the new google account under youtube settings?
We're not sure just yet.

However I'm pretty sure you can't merge Google accounts. Since all Google products are pretty much merged, you're pretty much creating a new YouTube channel and Gmail account and whatever else once you create a new Google account.

I feel a bit scared that my YouTube channel would be deleted because of how COPPA does not directly mention YouTube as child-friendly, given that the law was made in the late 90s. Certainly it was made for sites that were regularly visited by children from their computers. Now I feel like my channel along with the rest of YouTube is being threatened with almost nowhere to go if they decide to delete them. I barely had any trust for YouTube in recent years, but the way they barely cared about the FTC mindlessly deleting most channels because of how the site attracts kids. It's like Google really does not care about the average YouTuber given its community guidelines biting us in the dust.

I feel a bit scared that my YouTube channel would be deleted because of how COPPA does not directly mention YouTube as child-friendly, given that the law was made in the late 90s. Certainly it was made for sites that were regularly visited by children from their computers. Now I feel like my channel along with the rest of YouTube is being threatened with almost nowhere to go if they decide to delete them. I barely had any trust for YouTube in recent years, but the way they barely cared about the FTC mindlessly deleting most channels because of how the site attracts kids. It's like Google really does not care about the average YouTuber given its community guidelines biting us in the dust.

I share your worries, for sure.

We might be panicking over nothing and cooler heads might prevail in the end. There's a history of changes to YouTube that caused uproar throughout the creator community only to turn out into a minor inconvenience in practice.

I've only been seriously active as a YT creator for the past year and a half, but I've been in the loop with most Internet trends since 2009 and I don't remember if there ever has been such a vague and ambiguous set of legal limitations to affect every creator on the platform.

Last edited:

We might be panicking over nothing and cooler heads might prevail in the end. There's a history of changes to YouTube that caused uproar throughout the creator community only to turn out into a minor inconvenience in practice.

I've only been seriously active as a YT creator for the past year and a half, but I've been in the loop with most Internet trends since 2009 and I don't remember if there ever has been such a vague and ambiguous set legal limitations to affect every creator on the platform.

I remember when the Internet got riled up with SOPA in 2011 and the Net Neutrality controversy in 2015, but they were minor in the end. I'm not sure if this could be the case for the FTC actually taking down channels because it's seems serious to me at least.

I remember when the Internet got riled up with SOPA in 2011 and the Net Neutrality controversy in 2015, but they were minor in the end. I'm not sure if this could be the case for the FTC actually taking down channels because it's seems serious to me at least.

Based on what they said in that dreaded, 42-minute long press conference, FTC has clear & unambiguous intention to go after the individual content creators.

That's why this at least LOOKS like such a serious and big deal. When all it takes is for one FTC official, or worse, YouTube AI to false-flag you as "made for kids" or "kid-appealing", you not only risk the penalty, but you risk practically losing your channel.

It's already clear that marking your content as "Yes, made for kids" = no comments, doesn't get promoted by YT algorithm, earns up to 90% less ad revenue and your subscribers, even with bell icon clicked, don't get notified of your uploads.

That's why this legit makes me think this might be a potential disaster in the making.

I've only been seriously active as a YT creator for the past year and a half, but I've been in the loop with most Internet trends since 2009 and I don't remember if there ever has been such a vague and ambiguous set of legal limitations to affect every creator on the platform.
This is not some yt update, this is the f*cking government.

How im supposed to ever sleep again with minecraft videos uploaded while some FTC boomer is trying to find them and sue me? And im not even from the US, so im not sure. Can they still sue me? or they can just delete the channel? f**k

Back