Thoughts on the adpocalypse 2020?

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You're not collecting any data by embedding a video. You're not even collecting it when you upload it to YouTube. And surely you don't collect any kids data on patreon - you have to be at least 18 to participate in supporting an author right?
right but what about the youtube embed video?

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
My opinion is probably very unpopular but I say bring it on! I can’t wait to see thousands of channels get wiped out! It will make youtube better in the end and as for me I’ll still make videos even if no one is watching because I’m in it for the art and not the money. Get the champagne of millennial tears and watch the comet hit the earth ( figuratively)

ceznov

Reaction score
How wiping kids creators will make YouTube better? You really think that those people make YouTube worse? I think it doesn't really matter what age you aim. There are s****y content both for kids and adults.

Reactions: moshi

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Still I don't see how you collect any data just by embedding a YouTube video.
but anytime a video is watched with an embed you still are able to see those analytics

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
okay this is weird. I just set a video as made for kids as a test and it said comments were disabled but when I went to the video the comments were still visible and I could make a new comment myself.

ceznov

Reaction score
No it's not. The changes will come into place on 1st of January.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Ok, let's assume YT Kids will become big over night. And now every kid creator is there. But since there are no personalized ads, the creators have very limited incomes. So does YouTube. So nobody wins except FTC. I assume creators would want to look for another platform that somehow solve this age issue and let the creators make money. So YouTube should act fast and offer their solution. In September CEO Susan Wojcicki said YouTube will put $100M to invest in original kids content. Pretty vauge statement. She planned to share some more info, but it's almost December and we still now nothing more.
I think your assumption here is flawed. Contextual ads have been the funding source for network Television since the beginning. Yes, YT is spoiled on Targeted ads, but that does not mean there is not good money to be made on contextual ads.

It think if all kids content was moved to YT kids, it would force YT to focus and developing contextual ads for this huge market.

Think about this. The days of targeted ads to children are over. Not just on YT but the internet in general. Companies are NOT going to stop trying to advertise to kids and since targeted ads are not longer an option ANYWHERE, they will have to put all their money behind contextual ads.

The faster YT and YT kids creators stop fighting this, and start developing a safe market for kids creators and advertisers, the more dominate that platform will become.
I think there not only good money for kids creators on YT kids, but possibly BETTER money, because now they can work without fear and advertisers can do their thing without fear.

moshi

Reaction score
I think your assumption here is flawed. Contextual ads have been the funding source for network Television since the beginning. Yes, YT is spoiled on Targeted ads, but that does not mean there is not good money to be made on contextual ads.

It think if all kids content was moved to YT kids, it would force YT to focus and developing contextual ads for this huge market.

Think about this. The days of targeted ads to children are over. Not just on YT but the internet in general. Companies are NOT going to stop trying to advertise to kids and since targeted ads are not longer an option ANYWHERE, they will have to put all their money behind contextual ads.

The faster YT and YT kids creators stop fighting this, and start developing a safe market for kids creators and advertisers, the more dominate that platform will become.
I think there not only good money for kids creators on YT kids, but possibly BETTER money, because now they can work without fear and advertisers can do their thing without fear.
Sure if you are doing Cocomelon tier stuff your stuff may be eligible for YT Kids. However dont get too excited, too get in YT Kids they put in place extremely strict filters, that's why there's barely any content there. So chances are your content will not qualify.

Also the problem is in the huge middle ground between 12 and 13 yo content. A lot of content creators are scared and are going to mark their stuff as "for kids" and their content will never qualify to be on YT kids because it's "too edgy" or has some content that can be a bit inappropiated (like a character giving a middle finger, or some memes or whatever) however since its Minecraft or cartoony looking, you are by default at risk so a lot of people will mark it as "for kids", and all this massive amount of content will be stuck in a limbo where it's not promoted since it's marked as "for kids", AND has 0 chances to be on YT Kids, so yeah, you are screwed, and all this middle ground is all that 8+ years old watch. No kid of 8 and up will ever go into YT Kids because of what im saying, so if they remove all of this content or scare creators into marking it as for kids themselves due the FTC fines and getting your channel closed, kids will end up watching inappropriate content since like I said before they will stick to main YT.

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My question is? What about the thousands of people that uploaded content years ago and left youtube for good. And they are no longer present. They still get fined for not complying with the new rules?