Responding to Hate

CynicalRainbows

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Ranter
Just to copypasta something I told someone who was dealing with hate on their Let's Play channel

As someone who grew up as part of the Internet Hate Machine, there will always be assholes, and people who get their kicks by pushing other people into the dirt.

The only thing you can do, what you have to do, is ignore it completely. Report it and move on. Never take it personally, and never give them the satisfaction of acknowledgement.
And to add to that, don't ignore constructive criticism just because it's not a positive comment. But do make sure it's constructive, and not just criticism

Reactions: albadoesthings

albadoesthings

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This whole topic has been very useful and I'm really happy I joined these forums.
I haven't received any hate yet, but mostly concur with the "ignore and lock away" philosophy... and I'll be prepared if it happens.
It's mostly the same as in real life, right? If someone shout at your face for no reason, you just either tune them out or kick them out of your house if they persist... right? ;)

WonderSpud

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I have experienced very little hate, and I know, if I want to get somewhere with my channel, I will have to go through it. Thanks you guys!

Reactions: albadoesthings

19ConCon

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
I deal with hate in different ways, I mean we all get haters so it's a common thing, I just like to have fun with most of mine.

The very bad one's I just delete comments and mute them from commenting, but on others I like to wait until my fans stand up for me, it motivates me so much knowing that most of my audience stands up for me when I don't. It makes me feel more connected to my viewers.

Other times I like to respond to comments like "Dude you suck, please stop making videos" with a positive outlook reply that makes no sense (for the lols), something like "Thanks man, you're so helpful xD". It's not the reaction they want and every time I've done that I had a good laugh and they've never responded. It seems that they get bored quite easily if they can't make you angry.

Never let someone who hides behind a computer get the better of you.

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
You forgot to cover the fact that there is actual people who just don't like your content and will say so because they feel like it, which is most people who will spread "hate" on others videos.
I totally agree man. I think people like to give petty reasons to hate as a sort of safety blanket but the fact of the matter is some people just think your content sucks and they're just the kind of people who like to say it. It's not like the fact that their hatred of your content is legitimate makes it right, it just means it's legitimate. Your videos for whatever reason make them uncomfortable or embarrassed for you or just whatever it is, but trying to give it labels like "they don't really hate the video they just want to get a reaction" "They're just jealous" all the time is a weak way of dealing with it, if it's what works for you fine but I mean, it's not that big of a deal if someone hates your content so much they want to tell you.

Some people hate green beans. They legitimately hate them, they're not jealous of green beans, they're not trolling green beans lol They hate them, and they might passionately go on and on about how gross and stringy and disgusting green beans are. Does that mean there is something wrong with green beans? Does their legitimate disgust mean that if someone else enjoys green beans they're wrong to? No, we just have different tastes, in both food, and videos.

Reactions: Rouge

Mr4Eva

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally with hate I've never once found an issue with it, as long as you're mature enough or
older than the age of 12 you should be able to respond like an adult to it.

It's not that hard,

Trollerman97: "Hey your videos are gay and you suck"

What's the best response here?
We can feed the flames and write about how they hurt our precious egos that we've been building up for so long.
We can try to insult them back and try to hurt there feelings.
Or alternatively, we can completely ignore the comment and get on with our lives.

Of course, what If they have a point and haven't criticised you very constructively but still have a point,

For example:

Trollerman97: "The intro to your video is s**t because it goes for too long. lrn2video"

Now assuming that they have communicated a fair point, the best course of action isn't to ignore it.
But that doesn't mean you have to listen to all of it. Take on board their criticism and ignore the over negativity from it.

In the end though, the only real reason we struggle to deal with 'haters' is because of our own overinflated egos.

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
Personally with hate I've never once found an issue with it, as long as you're mature enough or
older than the age of 12 you should be able to respond like an adult to it.

It's not that hard,

Trollerman97: "Hey your videos are gay and you suck"

What's the best response here?
We can feed the flames and write about how they hurt our precious egos that we've been building up for so long.
We can try to insult them back and try to hurt there feelings.
Or alternatively, we can completely ignore the comment and get on with our lives.

Of course, what If they have a point and haven't criticised you very constructively but still have a point,

For example:

Trollerman97: "The intro to your video is s**t because it goes for too long. lrn2video"

Now assuming that they have communicated a fair point, the best course of action isn't to ignore it.
But that doesn't mean you have to listen to all of it. Take on board their criticism and ignore the over negativity from it.

In the end though, the only real reason we struggle to deal with 'haters' is because of our own overinflated egos.
I don't agree with the last part. You don't have to have an inflated ego to be hurt by someone calling you degrading dehumanizing terms. It almost implies that we should all accept we are just s**t bags and worthless, and if we knew what we really were when someone called us names we'd go "Welp can't blame you for speaking the truth!" Thats so not true.

As for the rest of your post though I mostly agree, especially about knowing when it's harshly worded but fair criticism, that is very true, like when someone told me that my personality made them feel awkward and to quit trying too hard. He was right, hurt like a b***h but he was right. I started being more real and toning it down.

One thing I do though is respond with jokes. Often times non sensical ones, I kind of troll my haters back but in a neutral way that's neither nice nor mean, just more or less funny and confusing. It cracks me up and my subscribers find it funny sometimes too :) example "You're gay" "Weird... my boyfriend doesn't think so..." etc lol

Reactions: Rouge

ProfKranc

Voice actor and Film-maker here to help :-D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I don't agree with the last part. You don't have to have an inflated ego to be hurt by someone calling you degrading dehumanizing terms. It almost implies that we should all accept we are just s**t bags and worthless, and if we knew what we really were when someone called us names we'd go "Welp can't blame you for speaking the truth!" Thats so not true.

As for the rest of your post though I mostly agree, especially about knowing when it's harshly worded but fair criticism, that is very true, like when someone told me that my personality made them feel awkward and to quit trying too hard. He was right, hurt like a b***h but he was right. I started being more real and toning it down.

One thing I do though is respond with jokes. Often times non sensical ones, I kind of troll my haters back but in a neutral way that's neither nice nor mean, just more or less funny and confusing. It cracks me up and my subscribers find it funny sometimes too :) example "You're gay" "Weird... my boyfriend doesn't think so..." etc lol
Agree with this. Being insulted for something you have created will hurt, ego or none. You put effort into it :)

Reactions: Symph

Rouge

The All-Round Lad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
I totally agree man. I think people like to give petty reasons to hate as a sort of safety blanket but the fact of the matter is some people just think your content sucks and they're just the kind of people who like to say it. It's not like the fact that their hatred of your content is legitimate makes it right, it just means it's legitimate. Your videos for whatever reason make them uncomfortable or embarrassed for you or just whatever it is, but trying to give it labels like "they don't really hate the video they just want to get a reaction" "They're just jealous" all the time is a weak way of dealing with it, if it's what works for you fine but I mean, it's not that big of a deal if someone hates your content so much they want to tell you.

Some people hate green beans. They legitimately hate them, they're not jealous of green beans, they're not trolling green beans lol They hate them, and they might passionately go on and on about how gross and stringy and disgusting green beans are. Does that mean there is something wrong with green beans? Does their legitimate disgust mean that if someone else enjoys green beans they're wrong to? No, we just have different tastes, in both food, and videos.
You using the analogy of green beans really puts hatred of somebodies content into simpler terms wow hahahah nice one symph! I totally agree with you too

Reactions: Symph