Responding to Hate

shinyvictreebel

PokeTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have been getting some hate lately, and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to collect my thoughts to do the best thing. I am by no means a big channel or an expert on dealing with difficult people, but I still think I can give some first hand advice.

First off, there are basically 2 types of haters. The first type is the troll. Trolls generally enjoy frustrating people by writing comments that are designed to anger the video creator. A troll is not someone trying to give you criticism unless it is in a way that is meant to get the poster mad. For example: "You should work on making your voice less monotone. its pretty bad" That is not a troll. It is just someone trying to tell you something to work on. The little comment at the end is most likely just emphasis to get you to actually get better. Please excuse the language in this next example. I don't approve of it, but this is from one of my latest hate comments. "Your videos are s**t. dont even make another video cuz theres no way you can make me give a f**k." That is definitely a troll because the person who posted the comment is trying to get you to stop making videos. Trolls think it is funny to get people depressed, and they don't understand that people on the internet are still real people.

The second type of hater are the jealous type. These are people who are jealous of whatever you have, and they take it out on your channel and videos by leaving mean comments and disliking your video. Usually, the jealous types don't do anything to reveal themselves, but sometimes they will leave hate comments. Hopefully they aren't this bad, but occasionally the jealous types use YouTube bots to dislike your videos. I have personally experienced bots before, and that is why most of my videos have extremely high dislike numbers. How can you tell if you have been attacked by a bot? There are two major signs of bots. The first is getting a lot of dislikes from strange countries. The bots create fake accounts and do whatever you tell them to do. They are, in a lot of cases, odd countries. The second sign is hard to find, but this is how I found out it was bots on my channel. If you happen to catch your dislike number at a very low number, try refreshing the page after about a minute. If the number hasn't gone up, you probably haven't been botted. If you see the number of dislikes go up without the number of views going up, you've got a bot on your hands.

Now that I've revealed the two types of haters, I am going to tell you how to deal with each type. Trolls can be easily dealt with by either muting the troll or banning them from your channel. I don't recommend muting or banning until they have done it at least twice because they may just be a one time troll. You can also just remove their comments now, and that is my main method of dealing with them. The jealous types are what are hard to deal with. You really can't do anything about them if they don't reveal themselves, and you pretty much have to wait it out. From my experience, it will take a long time for the jealous type to go away. I started getting anywhere from 7 to 17 dislikes on all of my new videos for a month now, and I still get them on all of my new videos. I would expect them to go away earlier because I have heard that most times they don't last this long. If you do happen to find out who is doing it, you still can't do much if they are using bots. The only advice I can give you on bots is to wait until they give up. If the jealous type is not using bots, and you find out who it is, you can ban them from your channel so they can't come back. I really don't like banning people, but sometimes it is the only thing you can do.

I am sorry for anyone who has gotten hate, and I hope that your hater go away soon. I don't think anyone deserves to get haters, but they are still out there. All we can do is try to deal with them the best we can. Thank you for reading, and I hope this was helpful.

Reactions: albadoesthings

Pervert Pete

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
PervertPete.com
Channel Type
Comedian
Very good advice! Advice I will use for now on! I rarely get hate but the last guy who gave me hate, I immediately degraded them so they put my latest video on reddit which got me some thumbs down. Thankfully, not all reddit people are retarded followers and some can think for themselves.
Moral of the story is its better to delete and ban than to return fire, even if you're comment chumps the s**t out of the troll.

shinyvictreebel

PokeTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Very good advice! Advice I will use for now on! I rarely get hate but the last guy who gave me hate, I immediately degraded them so they put my latest video on reddit which got me some thumbs down. Thankfully, not all reddit people are retarded followers and some can think for themselves.
Moral of the story is its better to delete and ban than to return fire, even if you're comment chumps the s**t out of the troll.
Thank you :) I have had some of my videos put on reddit, and I think that is where about 25% of my dislikes come from. I hope none of your videos get put on there again because it is definitely a hostile place for YouTube promotion.

Reactions: Pervert Pete

Pervert Pete

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
PervertPete.com
Channel Type
Comedian
Thank you :) I have had some of my videos put on reddit, and I think that is where about 25% of my dislikes come from. I hope none of your videos get put on there again because it is definitely a hostile place for YouTube promotion.
Thanks and yea, reddit can be a harmful place. Luckily I get enough likes to go against anything that gets put up on reddit but I would think for someone just starting out or that doesnt have a very large fan base to combat the problem, reddit could be a death trap for videos. Your advice is something peeps just starting out should ABSOLUTELY follow without question!

Reactions: shinyvictreebel

Rouge

The All-Round Lad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
You forgot to cover the fact that there is actual people who just don't like your content and will say so because they feel like it, which is most people who will spread "hate" on others videos.

Reactions: MudPlayz

shinyvictreebel

PokeTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You forgot to cover the fact that there is actual people who just don't like your content and will say so because they feel like it, which is most people who will spread "hate" on others videos.
I see what you're saying, but I do disagree with your statement. I feel that if someone simply doesn't like your content they simply stop watching it. I hope you can respect my opinion.

Pervert Pete

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
PervertPete.com
Channel Type
Comedian
I see what you're saying, but I do disagree with your statement. I feel that if someone simply doesn't like your content they simply stop watching it. I hope you can respect my opinion.
I agree with you completely. If you do well with keywords, you can find an audience easily. Thats how most of my videos get found AND get rated. But if your video gets sucked into an audience thats full of hate, you are done for.

Rouge

The All-Round Lad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
I do respect it :) No point in annoying eachother about eachothers opinions so we shall leave it at that :)

Reactions: shinyvictreebel

unknown_user54684097890

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I usually do my best to ignore them.. But you get the occasional comment that can cut pretty deep, things that poke fun at stuff you can't control. Such as lisps, speech problems etc. But that's the kind of stuff you try to work around etc

GameXtra

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I must say Reddit is a very judgemental site, I used to post my videos on there but got told off one too many times because apparently you cant share personal content.

I tend just ignore the trolls and block them from commenting any more. I haven't came across any jealous people yet but can imagine there petty people that just dislike the video because there jealous and don't actually watch the video. There are hateful people everywhere in the world but the best advice I can give is to ignore them.