Lets talk money....how much is too much when it comes to investing in equipment for your channel?

I spent 20 on a green screen because I didn't have a good location to shoot everyday that wouldn't be in the way and I am building a studio area in my spare room but am pretty much using wood,paint and spackle I had laying around. I am an independent contractor so all my lighting is stuff I put together from stuff I saved from jobs or stole from my wood shop.My camera is a 720 I bought cheap to take photos of my jobsites. I just spent $75 on a mic and since I am living on my savings for the winter I am selling one of my cars to pay for my camera. I plan on blowing around 500 of what I get on that. I am using all free programs for editing and stuff and my laptop is the same one i bought for my business. All in I will be well under a grand and a fair amount of labor. Is it too much, I dont know. I figure if I dont make it I can sell the cam and mic and I will have a nice library/ office in my spare room.

Wow! That impressive. Do you do Youtube full time or have a 9-5? Also how many years have you been on youtube? #newbie alert!
i just started doing youtube full time. i was a music video director for about 5 years but my dream has always been to start a successful youtube channel so i've taken a break from the music videos and just started my channel recently.

Hard to say, i think it;s all about what ur doing, if ur doing gaming, you can get away with a headset mic and just edit the audio so it sounds better and all that jazz, but if ur doing short skits and clips, its probably a good idea to have a good mic and camera since a lot of people do it, and why would someone watch if ur quality for that is bad, when they can watch 1000s of others that have way better quality, i think its all about what ur doing on youtube, and how much ur willing to spend, its like a hobby, spend a bit every now and then.

Depends how much you're willing to spend. Obviously investing in good equipment is always a nice plus. It's whatever you're comfortable with.

I agree with what someone else said above..I've spent..well ...more than I care to mention, but I do work outside of youtube (paid photography and videography work) so it's justifiable. If your intentions are to make money doing youtube, then you should treat it like a business and with every business requires investment. Good luck to you.

Hard to say, i think it;s all about what ur doing, if ur doing gaming, you can get away with a headset mic and just edit the audio so it sounds better and all that jazz, but if ur doing short skits and clips, its probably a good idea to have a good mic and camera since a lot of people do it, and why would someone watch if ur quality for that is bad, when they can watch 1000s of others that have way better quality, i think its all about what ur doing on youtube, and how much ur willing to spend, its like a hobby, spend a bit every now and then.

I think that it is a hobby/investment, so it best to slowly spend...not too much at the beginning. Thanks for sharing.

Back