Lets talk money....how much is too much when it comes to investing in equipment for your channel?

Annette Regina

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Between lights, camera, final cut pro etc...it adds up. Sometimes I feel like i'm spending too much, other times, I feel like not enough.

Some people started their channel with an iPhone and a dream...I started mine with lights, camera etc...yet Always find that I need to buy this and that...

thoughts?

DoubleDingle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It really depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much extra money you have. If you're just starting out buy enough to the point where it looks presentable.

Reactions: Annette Regina

J0eyy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It really does depend on what your willing to spend ^^^ (what he said) i spent 60$ on equipment (and since i'm a gamer) that doesn't include the games. it can be a real investment.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Lots of factors, I'd imagine. First, how much money you have to spend. If you make a good living, then a fancy camera isn't a big expense. If you're a student without much spending money, then it's going to be a big sacrifice.

Also, it depends on what your goals are. If you're a filmmaker, then great equipment is going to be helpful to set up shots that work better in-camera, and you'll want to use different lenses and filters for effects, etc.

For me, I've been at this for 3 years with just my iPhone, and though I'd like a better camera, my needs are really basic, camera-wise.

Ernie Jo

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've spent a couple thousand dollars in equipment, but I also do videography professionally so I make money using it. Some of the things I may have bought anyways for YouTube (like a small light, shoulder rigs, mic's), but maybe not all of it.

Reactions: Brandon

Annette Regina

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Lots of factors, I'd imagine. First, how much money you have to spend. If you make a good living, then a fancy camera isn't a big expense. If you're a student without much spending money, then it's going to be a big sacrifice.

Also, it depends on what your goals are. If you're a filmmaker, then great equipment is going to be helpful to set up shots that work better in-camera, and you'll want to use different lenses and filters for effects, etc.

For me, I've been at this for 3 years with just my iPhone, and though I'd like a better camera, my needs are really basic, camera-wise.
thats impressive! I started out buying lights and stuff and now I want to cut back on buying anything else but I also want to produce better quality videos... so its back and forth for me.

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
all depends on your needs. I'd focus more on quality content and as you keep youtubing, you'll want to get better and can buy accordingly. I wouldn't just buy tons of things before you even have some experience with youtube.

Reactions: Annette Regina

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
My initial investment was my camera. I bought a decent dslr and lense because a point and shoot is not really that great for a cooking channel. I also invested in a 50mm lense for thumbnails. If I had the money I'd buy a house and build an external kitchen studio with proper lighting, and a top notch camera and plenty of accessories. But alas, that is just a pipe dream at the moment lol. I also spend a bit on the actual food. But no more than usual as I basically film what I'm going to be eating anyway.

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I also spent a couple of thousand Euro, but that's okay, because filming is my biggest hobby and I do other projects apart from YouTube that generate income. I think it's always important to remember that in the end not the camera makes the good video but you.

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I spent nothing until now. But had I the opportunity to have a filming crew, usd 100k cameras, a recording studio yadda yadda, I would absolutely go all in.