Lets talk money....how much is too much when it comes to investing in equipment for your channel?

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
I think that is on a case by case basis.
Some people are fine with investing a lot of money towards their channel, and some are not.

I have spent a looooooot over the years, but I don't regret it.

PureDangles

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I wish I didnt have to spend anything, but im a gaming channel and i did buy a nice Blue Yeti mic that cost me $100 my audio quality is great now. Besides that I bought a new macbook pro last week since my other one died, and find it easy and nice to edit on iMovie, ive looked into final cut pro but I dont even think i would know how to use it.

Sunsbookishgamesx

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
I started with my mac book for two months

then got a cheap camera for £160 and a £30 soft box.

I have admittedly now got companies who have sent me equipment such as a really expensive mic set pricing at about £300, I got sent this last week.

but when it comes to my camera that cost me

£300.00
another soft box £30.00
tripod £18.00

and then I've also got highest spec desktop mac comp and also a mac book pro i edit on both of these which isn't actually necessary.

I think after a while as a smaller youtuber around the £400 mark is a nice price for everything.

My camera and soft box was actually birthday gifts i only brought my tripod so you could even ask for money for birthdays and xmas and buy it like that.

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
When I decided to take YouTube seriously, I dropped money on the Sony RX100 V the very day it was available at Best Buy. Since then, I have purchases a subscription to Premiere Pro although I could technically get by on Elements.

I have a tendency to splurge on the best. It's actually not a good thing, lol. I could have gotten by for a camera about 1/3 the price I paid, but I'm always afraid that I'll just eventually upgrade anyway, so why not skip to the end, lol.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Lots of factors, I'd imagine. First, how much money you have to spend. If you make a good living, then a fancy camera isn't a big expense. If you're a student without much spending money, then it's going to be a big sacrifice.

Also, it depends on what your goals are. If you're a filmmaker, then great equipment is going to be helpful to set up shots that work better in-camera, and you'll want to use different lenses and filters for effects, etc.

For me, I've been at this for 3 years with just my iPhone, and though I'd like a better camera, my needs are really basic, camera-wise.
Just an iPhone? Very nice quality!

paullaskovids

Well-rounded punk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian
My camera alone cost over $2k. That's not including the shotgun mic, wireless audio system, lights, editing software and vfx plugins I own...

I didn't jump into it with that expensive gear though. I started by using my webcam and floor and desk lamps.

Annette Regina

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I also spent a couple of thousand Euro, but that's okay, because filming is my biggest hobby and I do other projects apart from YouTube that generate income. I think it's always important to remember that in the end not the camera makes the good video but you.
That makes sense. You bring out the product/content, not the camera. Good tip!

NewbieYouTee

Reaction score
The thing is, you can have the best equipment in the world, but if your content is rubbish you will not get anywhere.

Though if you have good content, it will still engage people even if the presentation isnt perfect.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It depend on your pocketbook.

I want to do the 4K upgrade. But, since that requires 3 action cams and a new mirrorless dslr (entry level) I am looking at a cool 3600. Nope, not going to happen anytime soon.

MasterEth

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Between lights, camera, final cut pro etc...it adds up. Sometimes I feel like i'm spending too much, other times, I feel like not enough.

Some people started their channel with an iPhone and a dream...I started mine with lights, camera etc...yet Always find that I need to buy this and that...

thoughts?
I can't talk on this topic...Already spend $600 on a camera...

DON'T GIVE ME THAT LOOK! XD