Is social media that important?

Reaction score
As ~100-200sub channel I posted my Video with one book in author group on FB with around 5000 people. Got 250 views, best score so far, and over 70 hands up. Also, This was like 2months ago, and my post is still in the top 3. At least a 20% boost for free so far. This also made this video the top one with like 50% views of all channel all the time.

I also posted the same video ~10 days later to over 70 FB groups and I got like ~80 views while I Have 50-70 without any promotion.

If your audience is on Instagram or twitters you should be there too. I couldn't find "my people" on Instagram, but there are many more small apps and media.

I just found an app with 50k downloads, related to my niche, I'll probably post some Tips if this will work.

Say'n you are NOT SOCIAL MEDIA GUY is like saying "I'm not internet person" 20years ago... You may think your not, but you will be.

Reactions: Phiul

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's the thing, I simply do not have the time in my day to spend it on social media any more than I already do, which is minimal at best.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Its not 'crucial' because ive not done any and am doing OK.
I think it depend on your niche? I would expect 'Bloggers' to use it massively.

LeveledupGFX

Reaction score
Yes it's important. You can do well without so that should mean that you'll be better using it. With that said im going to create a twitter now.[DOUBLEPOST=1532729035,1532729020][/DOUBLEPOST]Yes it's important. You can do well without so that should mean that you'll be better using it. With that said im going to create a twitter now.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
NO - it's not important IF your audience isn't on social media.. and I would love for all the "experts" here that say it is crucial to explain to me how it's crucial if my audiance/demographic isnt on Facebook/Twitter/whatever..
OTOH, if your audiance IS on social media, then yah, its important.

Most of our demographic is not on social media.. A decent portion is on Facebook, but our data shows (over and over and over) that getting them to leave Facebook and make the long arduous journey over to youtube to subscribe is apparently too much for them to handle. Same thing on Instagram & Twitter.
So for our demographic, social media for growing our channel has been a waste of time.

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I think you just need to look at if your audience is into social media. If your audience is, then it would be important to share your content through that same medium.

If your intended audience doesn't seem to use said social media, it would probably be pointless (or at least less meaningful) to try and promote through those platforms. I'm not saying it won't get you extra views or subs, but how legitimate would they really be if it's not your intended audience?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
A decent portion is on Facebook,

getting them to leave Facebook and make the long arduous journey over to youtube to subscribe is apparently too much for them to handle.

So for our demographic, social media for growing our channel has been a waste of time.
This is the mistake. You tread social media as email. You post link, you count clicks, you se small number you say BOO, you see big number you say YEY.

Social media don't work this way. The whole idea is to show yourself, and create the place people can find when they decide to look for it. But then, when 90% of your demographic will be on facebook or instagram, or the platform that's not yet born, there will be too late to be relevant.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't use social media for promotion at all. nor do I have a page for my yt channel. I don't have twitter or Instagram at all I do have a personal Facebook page but I rarely post anything on it. and don't promote my video's on it.

some of my video's have ended up being shared and liked on social media but its other people sharing my video's not me.

PVPavement

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Posting to social media is super important. Even if your intended audience isn't involved with social media, the search engine bots are. Social media sites are some of the best platforms for gaining backlinks to your channel that boost its position in search engines like Google. The boost isn't always immediate, but over time the bots will peruse the links to and from your channel and the more relevant links you have, the better.

Building even a small community of followers that are willing to like and share a post occasionally helps a ton. You don't have to put a tremendous amount of effort in and there are tools that make the job easier, but it's better to write out separate content for each site you use. Copy/Pasting descriptions to social sites can actually cause the bots to flag your channel as spam if you overdo it.

My best piece of advice when using social media is to try and match the "meta" of popular posts that are related to yours. If you want to use Instagram, make an appropriate sized image from your video thumbnail, write out a quick summary of the video without too many spoilers, and use well-trafficked hashtags (those with high numbers). For other sites, just use the same general guidelines.

I hope this helps out with your decision. Good luck! :)

Phiul

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thank you all.

I'll make an effort to be on social media then. I've created account with my channel name in both Twitter and Instagram. So now how should I proceed? Post youtube video link on Twitter and photos of "I have no idea what" on Instagram? I think I'll need a social media manager lol