Is it a good idea to join a network if you're a small youtuber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
8,000 views a month is really good! When I had 1,000 subs I didn't have 8k views a month yet. Now I get 2k views a day or more. Growth is exponential which is such a nice feeling. Its those slow days that get discouraging. :)
Well, my last 30 days, I'm at 17k views. Much of that is because that one unboxing video I did on Black Friday is nearing 6k views and my pokemon spotlight got featured and about 50-60 people binge watched all my stuff for another 2-3k.

Well, my last 30 days, I'm at 17k views. Much of that is because that one unboxing video I did on Black Friday is nearing 6k views and my pokemon spotlight got featured and about 50-60 people binge watched all my stuff for another 2-3k.
That's great! Taking advantage of trends i.e. Holidays or Franchises i.e. Pokemon are fantastic ways to pull people in to view your other content. Like I made a ASMR Gaming video that reach 20,000 views. That's a lot of me at this level. The viewers of that eventually crossed over to view my other videos.

That's great! Taking advantage of trends i.e. Holidays or Franchises i.e. Pokemon are fantastic ways to pull people in to view your other content. Like I made a ASMR Gaming video that reach 20,000 views. That's a lot of me at this level. The viewers of that eventually crossed over to view my other videos.
I don't fully understand how ASMR works. I'll have to take a look.

Pokemon has always been the perfect niche for me. Love the game and it's big enough that you can draw a crowd but small enough you won't get totally drowned out if you got good content. Minecraft is kind of like that but it is a little bit bigger.

I've been thinking about joining a network but I don't want to be trapped in a contract that isn't beneficial to my channel. So I was wondering if a joining a network would help my channel grow? And is it a good idea overall to join a network if you're a small YouTuber?

I would so no unless you are a big channel! You need a certain amount of views to make money, plus you would have to give your network a pay cut so you might end up making no money and have to pay them, which is not fun! This is from what I have read and heard on the internet. (Not a personal experience)

I joined Maker Gen because that specific platform is designed for small and beginning content creators. As your channel grows and develops, you're offered different opportunities with different platforms under their umbrella. It's helped me meet and discover some cool new people via their forums, but it's still early days for me, so I can't judge much yet.

I joined Maker Gen because that specific platform is designed for small and beginning content creators. As your channel grows and develops, you're offered different opportunities with different platforms under their umbrella. It's helped me meet and discover some cool new people via their forums, but it's still early days for me, so I can't judge much yet.
Mind if I ask a questions(s).

Have they offered you any ways to advertize your channel and do they pay via Direct Deposit or Paypal? I was curious. :3

Mind if I ask a questions(s).

Have they offered you any ways to advertize your channel and do they pay via Direct Deposit or Paypal? I was curious. :3

Nah, it's totally fine. They give you a form to fill in based on the theme of your channel and your interests, so if something relevant comes along, you'll be considered to advertise it. I'm not banking on anything just yet, simply because I have 280 subscribers. So, maybe when I'm bigger and my reach has extended a little they'll put me forward for something, but it's not surprising I haven't had anything right now. I only joined 2 weeks ago, anyway.

And as they're in the US and I'm in the UK, I'll be paid via PayPal once my tax submission form has been cleared. If you're a US citizen, you can be paid via your bank account. You can also receive a cheque in the mail.

I'm not sure how you mean that but it comes off as very rude. I will act as if your intention was not to sound snappy and you had general concern. I am a content creator, I don't work for Curse.

OP asked "So I was wondering if a joining a network would help my channel grow? And is it a good idea overall to join a network if you're a small YouTuber?" They didn't ask for a Network for them, they asked if one was helpful. I answered their question. Curse is fantastic and helps me a lot.
I had just noticed that you had jumped into quite a few threads where people were asking about networks in general and always mentioning the actual network you are with; sometimes even advising them to "grow your channel to at least 1000 subscribers and then join Curse". It would be quite possible to answer their questions without doing that. I was being factual, and if that is being rude in your opinion then I stand guilty as charged. I was also stating due to my observations of your recent thread behaviour, that a gaming network is most likely not appropriate for a pure Vlogger such as the OP is; do you disagree with that statement?

Question for you now. You say Curse helps you a lot; but do they actually directly help you grow, or are you growing your channel yourself with the tools they give you? There is a big difference between the two. And one doesn't need to work for a network to recruit for one, either. Most networks now have Affiliate Programs, where any member who brings in a new member will receive a cut of their ad rev, and this was my thought when I said you might be recruiting for Curse.

If you aren't I apologize, and Happy Holidays.

I had just noticed that you had jumped into quite a few threads where people were asking about networks in general and always mentioning the actual network you are with; sometimes even advising them to "grow your channel to at least 1000 subscribers and then join Curse". It would be quite possible to answer their questions without doing that. I was being factual, and if that is being rude in your opinion then I stand guilty as charged.

Question for you now. You say Curse helps you a lot; but do they actually directly help you grow, or are you growing your channel yourself with the tools they give you? There is a big difference between the two. And one doesn't need to work for a network to recruit for one, either. Most networks now have Affiliate Programs, where any member who brings in a new member will receive a cut of their ad rev, and this was my thought when I said you might be recruiting for Curse.

If you aren't I apologize, and Happy Holidays.
I only mentioned my Network in threads that directly asked about network recommendations or network experience, much like talking about anything relevant to any other thread. :) It is fine, no hard feelings. Have a good Holiday Season as well!

Honestly your channel growth is all on you. A network only helps you grow with tools that they offer like a music library or a recording program for free. But honestly as a small channel I wouldn't worry about getting with a network untill your big enough to get with a good one. By good one I mean ones like Curse. Also I would avoid networks with a lock in contract. That way if you don't like them you can just leave whenever you want :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back