Is it a good idea to join a network if you're a small youtuber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJournalisForLinda

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been thinking about joining a network but I don't want to be trapped in a contract that isn't beneficial to my channel. So I was wondering if a joining a network would help my channel grow? And is it a good idea overall to join a network if you're a small YouTuber?

DJBenz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Generally the opinion seems to be a resounding 'no' round these parts.

MissFushi

Kawaii Gamer Princess
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have a suggestion. Get 1,000 subscribes and apply to Curse: Union for Gamers. Curse is contract-free, has great music and analytic tools, very sweet staff and a 90/10 split and no minimum payout. Basically you can actually start to touch your money. I would never sign a contract at this point either but Curse has been nothing but good to me and I've been with them for several months now.

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hmm I don't recommend it unless you have a big channel. A lot of youtubers have used Union For Gamers since it's free and you can end the contract whenever you want but you'd need a fairly decent channel to get good revenue from them.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
So I was wondering if a joining a network would help my channel grow?
No, networks don't help channels grow. At most, they offer additional tools and a new dashboard for YouTube to give you more information and guidance, but any actual growing is completely up to the channel themselves.

And is it a good idea overall to join a network if you're a small YouTuber?
I don't see the point of joining a network no matter how big or small a channel is. There was a time (years ago) when they were necessary, but that time has long passed. Unfortunately, the idea that they are needed still continues and their generally amazing recruitment letters do a great job of convincing people that they're a good thing when they aren't.

That all said, I think it makes far more sense for a small YouTube channel to join a network than a big one. I'd rather pay a few cents to find out if I like or need something instead of what could amount to a decent amount of money.

MissFushi

Kawaii Gamer Princess
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hmm I don't recommend it unless you have a big channel. A lot of youtubers have used Union For Gamers since it's free and you can end the contract whenever you want but you'd need a fairly decent channel to get good revenue from them.
I get decent revenue from them and I only have 2,375 subs. They're wonderful. And they offer tools to help you grow. Worth it to me 110%.

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I get decent revenue from them and I only have 2,375 subs. They're wonderful. And they offer tools to help you grow. Worth it to me 110%.
Yh you do get over 1k average views. Athene did a video on that union and I've always followed him since he does charity work and hasn't really lied or had backlash before. I think it would be good to try since it would be an experience and the contract can be ended at any time. I wouldn't use it just to try to promote yourself to me its just good for your YouTube business.

Reactions: MissFushi

MissFushi

Kawaii Gamer Princess
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yh you do get over 1k average views. Athene did a video on that union and I've always followed him since he does charity work and hasn't really lied or had backlash before. I think it would be good to try since it would be an experience and the contract can be ended at any time
Plus, I dislike that YouTube has a $100 threshhold for withdrawls and 45/55 split. I want to keep more money and start taking it out now to use for gear/etc. I know there are a lot of small contract free networks floating around but the only one I've tried and can recommend is Curse. I am so glad I didn't sign a contract and join one of the bigger Networks. I feel like when you do that you're limiting yourself a lot.

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Plus, I dislike that YouTube has a $100 threshhold for withdrawls and 45/55 split. I want to keep more money and start taking it out now to use for gear/etc. I know there are a lot of small contract free networks floating around but the only one I've tried and can recommend is Curse. I am so glad I didn't sign a contract and join one of the bigger Networks. I feel like when you do that you're limiting yourself a lot.
Haha I've only made 8 pence so far so i'm living the dream lol. The threshold does suck but they're a business and probably don't want to lose money otherwise everyone would be getting paid everyday and they may be give out too much.

MissFushi

Kawaii Gamer Princess
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Haha I've only made 8 pence so far so i'm living the dream lol. The threshold does suck but they're a business and probably don't want to lose money otherwise everyone would be getting paid everyday and they may be give out too much.
You get paid once a month and should get what you earn. :) They don't need a threshold but choose to have one. So Curse, is much better in that aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.