Is Anyone Afraid of Being A Youtube Success?

I've always dreamed I would lead something, or create something. My channel is just a small outlet for creativity, but the principles of it are the same as someone sharing thoughts & information with others through other means. So for me, my channel is what I've always dreamed of doing on a smaller scale. So no, I am not too worried about recognition or anything like that. I used to have a lot of social anxiety, but I've been through a lot and had a lot of practice & forced experience with talking to strangers and speaking in front of many people. It just takes work, and perhaps that's part of the journey you will face if you make it big on YouTube.

I've had a few people recognize me in game (World of Warcraft, haha I know - so far away from the type of lifechanging work you do) and it's quite odd. Usually it's in audio chat that they recognize my voice so then they ask me if I am GeekyNet. It always feels weird, but it also makes me feel good. It's nice to know that people like your content so much that they recognize your voice within seconds.

As for people wanting to be your BFF even though they know you and you don't know them. That comes with the business of what you do on YouTube. You can't expect it to be different for as long as you share your life on the internet. Perhaps you can try to set some boundaries with your viewers though.

Maybe you don't even have to tell them to backoff.
A simple "I spend hours each week sharing my life with you, giving you advice and trying to help you. However, I hardly get to see the outcomes, experience the process with you and understand your past. I strongly encourage all of you to share your life with me by messaging me, trading contact details (Skype) or commenting on my videos. At the very least, I urge you to be open to sharing your life as I have shared mine."

^That right there might lead to some two-way street relationships that you seem to be longing for. Just ask them about themselves and maybe you'll find out your creepy stalkers are truly BFF potential.

I've also been doing this since 2007. I don't think I'm in much danger of becoming a youtube superstar, but as an extreme introvert (which you'd never guess by watching my videos probably) I can see how that could become intimidating. Then again, I feel like if I got recognized by a subscriber I've probably interacted enough with them in comments that the ice has been broken. Heck, that's why Facebook has been so good for me. I interact with total strangers and they come up to ME when we're at the same event together. It takes a lot of the whole "introducing myself to others" drain away when meeting. It's why I always have a recognizable profile pic.

Like I said, I don't think I'm in any danger of "youtube success" but I really don't know at this point how it would affect me. I guess if some random person recognized me on the street I'd find out.[DOUBLEPOST=1413855648,1413855378][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't know. Perhaps my case is a bit different. I'm introverted but also outgoing (no, it's not a contradiction). Also, as a singer I've performed on stage many times and I guess I'm used to getting attention after a performance and making nice even though I just want to go hide under a blanket at that point.

I dream of being an actor one day, the ones in the movies.
I hope I can really make it big one day, It has been my dream ever since I was a kid. I mean of course It's really hard, but I'm willing to make my way through it all and shine one day.
so no, I'm not that afraid of becoming a youtube Success, it's my dream.
I hope I can make it happen one day. :)

It would be awesome to get that succesful people recognize you on the street, but on the other hand that would be creepy haha! I don't know how I would feel about that, it would be awesome but I don't want fans everywhere whenever I go on the streets. Don't really think about it yet though, because I am not even close at being that popular and I am totally not focussing on that.

It would be awesome to get that succesful people recognize you on the street, but on the other hand that would be creepy haha! I don't know how I would feel about that, it would be awesome but I don't want fans everywhere whenever I go on the streets. Don't really think about it yet though, because I am not even close at being that popular and I am totally not focussing on that.

I have less than 1500 subs and it takes me a month to get 200 views on each video so I have no idea how it happens that I get recognized on the street. It's a little weird. One guy wanted a picture. Another wanted my phone number. LOL

I think its scarier to have a break-through video which brings your views/subs shooting up. I would have thought that a daily growth like 5 subs a day would be quite nice (from a small channel perspective). Anxiety sucks. By putting yourself out there making videos, you're kinda exposing yourself to anyone, which is difficult to get your head around when it's just you talking to the camera. Reminds me a little of charlieissocoollike who still releases great content but would rather leave the screaming girls to someone else!

I think its scarier to have a break-through video which brings your views/subs shooting up. I would have thought that a daily growth like 5 subs a day would be quite nice (from a small channel perspective). Anxiety sucks. By putting yourself out there making videos, you're kinda exposing yourself to anyone, which is difficult to get your head around when it's just you talking to the camera. Reminds me a little of charlieissocoollike who still releases great content but would rather leave the screaming girls to someone else!

Yeah. You getit?! I only have a very slow growth and I spend 99% of my time alone so when I do go out and am recognized or I get a letter from a viewer saying that I am their BFF, It feels weird because I am always ALONE. And when I'm making my videos, I'm basically talking to myself in a room ALONE.

Yeah. You getit?! I only have a very slow growth and I spend 99% of my time alone so when I do go out and am recognized or I get a letter from a viewer saying that I am their BFF, It feels weird because I am always ALONE. And when I'm making my videos, I'm basically talking to myself in a room ALONE.

Although I can hardly talk, spending that much time alone probably doesn't help when you get recognised. Maybe you should set yourself little goals to encourage you to get out the house more? I try and leave the house at least once a day otherwise the next time I go to do it, leaving will seem like a much bigger deal than it is! Just a suggestion obviously. Anxiety can't be stopped completely but it can be helped.

There's been loads of YouTube Culture videos making the rounds so you've probably seen them. If not, here's some you might find interesting?

Although I can hardly talk, spending that much time alone probably doesn't help when you get recognised. Maybe you should set yourself little goals to encourage you to get out the house more? I try and leave the house at least once a day otherwise the next time I go to do it, leaving will seem like a much bigger deal than it is! Just a suggestion obviously. Anxiety can't be stopped completely but it can be helped.

There's been loads of YouTube Culture videos making the rounds so you've probably seen them. If not, here's some you might find interesting?

Thank you! Honestly. I have not seen this discussion at all and I will look for more on the topic. I do have a MeetUp group for my subscribers and blog readers and go out with them regularly. It is my way of having a time with them so they won't feel ignored by me and also so I won't feel obligated to accept all of their dinner and drink invitations. Outside of that (maybe twice a month) I don't go out or hang out with anyone at all. And when that is done, I usually need a few days of being inside alone to recover. It takes a lot out of me!

Introverted Youtubers Unite!

Thank you! Honestly. I have not seen this discussion at all and I will look for more on the topic. I do have a MeetUp group for my subscribers and blog readers and go out with them regularly. It is my way of having a time with them so they won't feel ignored by me and also so I won't feel obligated to accept all of their dinner and drink invitations. Outside of that (maybe twice a month) I don't go out or hang out with anyone at all. And when that is done, I usually need a few days of being inside alone to recover. It takes a lot out of me!

Introverted Youtubers Unite!

I.Y.U ? Not bad really, though no one would turn up to the meetings! :p

Well maybe let me know what you think? Obviously viewers aren't entitled to anything just because they subscribe, like and comment on your videos but at the same time we feel the need to go out of our way for strangers who we do. I love the community aspect but I don't see the need for fans; we're just content creators and viewers :)

Back