How to SEO - Titles Descriptions and Tags (Full guide with example)

EXAMPLE UPDATE

i thought i would dive back in to the analytics of my example video to see how it is getting on, the video has now been up 2 months, bare in mind it was a guide for game so expect a good drop off as less people will be playing and therefore searching for game related videos

first off, lets look at the rankings in our tags section

89919cc2fe54f0f08ec2ff386d4b21b8.png

exactly the same as before, very happy with that. viewer retention must be doing well to stay at number 1 for 2 months

Lets do a google search as before, last time we appeared number 5 on a google search, the result that came up was not the video directly but the google+ version i shared on a total war community

dd5acbedb268f091ec6b111cfc609129.png

interestingly the google+ communities link has dropped to 7th but the video itself is in 5th, brilliant result. to have 2 videos in the top 10 search results for one video!

when we looked last time at the videos tab on the google search i was second but suspected i would overtake after some time

adab962759f43fbfd774f42a3bd4057d.png

BOOM, number 1 baby

The Video itself has just over 7,000 views now and has gained me 32 subscribers and still gets around 100 views per day

eeb38cbac4009a9a804f3d166e3efdb7.png

here is some more stats for all your graph lovers

f31abd181f1f31bfac30d727ac4ead50.png

i would like the view duration and retention to be higher but the reason its not is because its a tutorial video covering various aspects of how friendly fire works in game so once someones question has been answered (which could be 2 minutes in or 5 or 15 etc) they are more likely to click off

This as new and small youtubers have to strive for, as i said in my original post. find a niche within a niche, grow steadily and one day we can compete with those bigger youtubers and the broader search terms

EXAMPLE UPDATE

i thought i would dive back in to the analytics of my example video to see how it is getting on, the video has now been up 2 months, bare in mind it was a guide for game so expect a good drop off as less people will be playing and therefore searching for game related videos

first off, lets look at the rankings in our tags section

89919cc2fe54f0f08ec2ff386d4b21b8.png

exactly the same as before, very happy with that. viewer retention must be doing well to stay at number 1 for 2 months

Lets do a google search as before, last time we appeared number 5 on a google search, the result that came up was not the video directly but the google+ version i shared on a total war community

dd5acbedb268f091ec6b111cfc609129.png

interestingly the google+ communities link has dropped to 7th but the video itself is in 5th, brilliant result. to have 2 videos in the top 10 search results for one video!

when we looked last time at the videos tab on the google search i was second but suspected i would overtake after some time

adab962759f43fbfd774f42a3bd4057d.png

BOOM, number 1 baby

The Video itself has just over 7,000 views now and has gained me 32 subscribers and still gets around 100 views per day

eeb38cbac4009a9a804f3d166e3efdb7.png

here is some more stats for all your graph lovers

f31abd181f1f31bfac30d727ac4ead50.png

i would like the view duration and retention to be higher but the reason its not is because its a tutorial video covering various aspects of how friendly fire works in game so once someones question has been answered (which could be 2 minutes in or 5 or 15 etc) they are more likely to click off

This as new and small youtubers have to strive for, as i said in my original post. find a niche within a niche, grow steadily and one day we can compete with those bigger youtubers and the broader search terms
Good example of how to get a piece of the pie with such a popular title, well done!

This taught me a lot, I always thought the best way to do tags was to have individual words and that YouTube searches would find any one(s) of those words added together. Very interesting. Thank you!

I have a question when using TubeBuddy and you try to predict new keywords using the search tool that is built in, doesn't it pull from the title and description to do this? Just wondering as you mentioned to do the description last I thought Tag would be last because of this.

I have a question when using TubeBuddy and you try to predict new keywords using the search tool that is built in, doesn't it pull from the title and description to do this? Just wondering as you mentioned to do the description last I thought Tag would be last because of this.
i don't use tubebuddy for the keyword search. mostly i just use youtube search and just search my main phrase and see what it comes up with. also websites like http://www.betterwaytoweb.com/tag-generator-for-youtube are useful[DOUBLEPOST=1472952281,1472952228][/DOUBLEPOST]
Fantastic guide, thanks for this! :D
no problem mate, hope you make good use out of it

This is great advice. Thanks for sharing! It can be a challenge sometimes to stand out in the oversaturated youtube world, so being as specific as possible in the title (and content itself) definitely helps :thumbsup2:

Back