First 24hrs are the most important

Just to disagree with the General concensus here that it isn't critical for small channels...
My two largest videos took off within a couple days of being posted. That first 24 hours is critical to showing audience retention and getting ranked in the right searches based on tags and title.
This is especially true if you are attempting to tentpole a large event and gain traffic through that trend.

Plus, even though they say that youtube gives new videos a boost for around a week, I've found that the boost is really more like 48 hours.

That's just been my experience though.

You might rank a video and it is going to grow from there . Or even change a thumbnail that was week and it will get checked more afterwards.

What I heard is that it is important to answer comments in the 3 first hours to encourage people to leave comment as they know you will be there :yttalk:

Just to disagree with the General concensus here that it isn't critical for small channels...
My two largest videos took off within a couple days of being posted. That first 24 hours is critical to showing audience retention and getting ranked in the right searches based on tags and title.
This is especially true if you are attempting to tentpole a large event and gain traffic through that trend.

Plus, even though they say that youtube gives new videos a boost for around a week, I've found that the boost is really more like 48 hours.

That's just been my experience though.
While this may be true, with a new channel, there is nothing you can do to ensure you get a high number of views for any given video even with great tags, description, title, etc. As an example I released 4 gameplay videos of a high profile game, that was in open beta, the same day the beta went live. That was 3 weeks ago. I've gotten like 50 views total or so for all 4 videos. I've seen people post gameplay from the same beta a day or two ago that have 500k views already.

While this may be true, with a new channel, there is nothing you can do to ensure you get a high number of views for any given video even with great tags, description, title, etc. As an example I released 4 gameplay videos of a high profile game, that was in open beta, the same day the beta went live. That was 3 weeks ago. I've gotten like 50 views total or so for all 4 videos. I've seen people post gameplay from the same beta a day or two ago that have 500k views already.
Back when I had 25 subscribers one of my videos took off and got 20,000 views because it was centered around a trending topic. So it is possible for small channels. It just hasn't happened for you yet. Keep plugging away man.

One thing you have to remember with games is that the ones that are really really popular, most people are playing not watching at the beginning. The ones getting huge views are the ones who have a fan base to build on. You have to keep at it though, I was where you are now and then soon after it just clicked for me. I am not huge, far from it, but I am growing and slowly building up a base.

Try out Google + too. Find some communities in there, there is one I use called serious Youtube creators which has helped a lot. Also find communities that are based on what you post. I see a lot of Bloodbourne so try that. It is a long road and the main thing you need is that luck, but the only way to get luck is to keep working hard and producing content. The lottery is extremely difficult to win, but the only way it is impossible is if you don't buy a ticket.

The only time it's really critical is when you're doing a short lived brand deal that will only pay for views in the first 48-72 hours. Even for larger channels, it's more important for the video to long tail because it can always pick up steam again down the line-which is what you'll see in the chart below.

Is It Expired    21 Year Old Skittles   YouTube.png

Well I was under the impression uses that data from the first 24 hours as how it will treat your video in SEO in the future..... that is why people upload at peak times, post on Reddit at peak times, and promote the hell out of it right when they upload..... that initial interaction counts.... I typically try not to upload unless I know I have another hour or two to promote it afterwards and get it out there

If you are under that assumption (which I have to say I think is mostly false), you might want to keep in mind that promoting often kills your retention rate, so you may not even be boosting your "SEO for the future" anyway.

We only recently started to open big in the first day, generally we've been more about the long game, the evergreen videos that keep going and growing over time. I've had stuff start slow and then pick up.

Lately the trend seems to be a good spike at the beginning, then a down day or two, then some steady growth after that.

I would say for my own experience, its the first week. usually 5 or 6 days in when it really spikes. day 1 is usually a really slow build, but for the vid i just uploaded this morning its actually got the best first day views ive ever had, and its a part 2 to boot XD

Back