Don't Be Afraid To Make A Thumbnail

ricky fitts ravera

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Don't be afraid to make your own thumbnails. I feel that people are kind of intimidated to make their own thumbnails, they don't even TRY to make a thumbnail. Don't make the excuse: "Oh, well I don't have [insert expensive editing program here]". I'm no artist or designer, I even use a free program to make my thumbnails. I just started making thumbnails yesterday...So as you can see, it really isn't that hard. You just have to do it. The most time-consuming part of making a thumbnail isn't the designing part, it's trying to find images and a background that will look good. Here are a few tips that help me when designing a thumbnail:

1 - This is very important, look at other people's thumbnails! I've spent hours just looking at thumbnails here on this website. By looking at really good thumbnails around here you acclimate yourself to that kind of quality and style, and when you go to make a thumbnail you are on par with their style and quality.

2 - Getting frustrated and can't seem to make things look good? When this happens to me, I look at other people's thumbnails for inspiration. Maybe it's a way they aligned their font, or a certain way they placed an image. It really helps get the creative juices flowing. If you still can't get creative, then take a break. Sometimes you just work to hard or too long and your brain is tired, go read that book you have been meaning to read or play a video game. Do something stress free.

3 - Google it. Yep, obvious isn't it? We often forget what a great resource google is. We have access to a whole lot of tutorials on font effects, background effects, image effects, beginner tutorials, etcetera! I use google all the time to figure out how to do a certain text effect or make a cool shadow. If you can see it in your mind, but can't make it happen, try googling what you see.

4 - Ask! If you see something in a thumbnail that looks amazing, but can't emulate it. Don't be afraid to ask the creator, chances are that they will gladly tell you how to do it and perhaps even give you some extra tips!

5 - Fonts. Fonts can make or break a thumbnail, it's really important that the font you use is very visible and legible. DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT FONTS. You can pretty much take it to the bank that most of the default fonts are a no no for thumbnails. The default fonts are for typing up essays etcetera...NOT thumbnails. I usually get my fonts from dafont. These days there are so many fonts out there that if you are playing a specific game, they probably have a font for that game. You want to make sure that the font can relate to the game you are playing. Example: You don't want to use a exciting, happy font if you are going to be playing a dark, zombie game.

This is what helps me, what helps you? Has this post encouraged you to try your hand at thumbnails? Tell me about it!
Very true: sometime I watch a video just because the thumbnail is catchy

WaveMedicine

Short 3-5 minute "funtage" gaming videos.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Very true: sometime I watch a video just because the thumbnail is catchy
I honestly don't even bother clicking a video with no custom thumbnail. So yes, don't be afraid! They really do matter. The sayings, "do not judge a book by it's cover", "it's the inside that matters, not the outside", etc., does not apply when it comes to YouTube! Everything matters.

Reactions: ricky fitts ravera
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter, Gamer, Commentator
Most thumbnails are looking generic; cookie-cutter with no personality - especially the gaming channel ones.

Many look exactly the same! :p

nikkisy

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the tips! I make DIY videos so far, so having catching thumbnails it's very important, I think. But I'm working on finding a style for myself.[DOUBLEPOST=1424060594,1424060431][/DOUBLEPOST]
I honestly don't even bother clicking a video with no custom thumbnail. So yes, don't be afraid! They really do matter. The sayings, "do not judge a book by it's cover", "it's the inside that matters, not the outside", etc., does not apply when it comes to YouTube! Everything matters.
I think when you see a video with no custom thumbnail, you believe content will be low quality. Thumbnails are like the presentation card.

astrotelecast

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I suggest making a template so your channel brand has some continuity. It also speeds things up allowing you to spend time on the more important things.

Tremil

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
how are mine ?

I chose 3 random ones with different styles ... Which is the best ?[DOUBLEPOST=1436871777,1436871718][/DOUBLEPOST]And IK there is a typo :) (ignore it )

JordanBlower

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've got a thing with sticking emoji stickers on mine. They're relatable, tells the audience what emotion you're feeling and add a little spice to your thumbnail straight away.

Reactions: Tremil

Daniolo

Reaction score
I think once you know how to make a thumbnail, everything's fine and easy. Like some have said, it needs to stand out from the others. If you are having trouble, add a better background or explore different fonts, try anything to make your videos more attractive!

Reactions: OzTalksHw

Akim bolduc dicks

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Absolutely! Thanks pixlr is a awesome tool for making thumbnails for free! :)

Doomkey

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I just started to do this with Gimp. The thumbnails I create right now are pretty garbage but I feel like i'm slowly getting better at it. I just need to focus on less is more and find those things that are really eye popping and will draw viewers in. Would you mind going to look at my thumbnails and telling me what you think? Maybe tell me which one you like most and I could try to stick with that style too if you could. Or let me know what I could do to improve if you don't mind terribly.