Does Spamming other channels work?

So, I have more of a question/concern. I currently have around 150 subs and about 18k views. However I see a lot of other channels coming in a nd stating how they like my channel and to check out theirs. Or how their videos are like mine. I pretty much delete all these comments because I see that as spam. However when I examine their channels, they seem to be doing better than me. (I have only been creating since January). Is this common practice? Is this the best way to promote your channel beyond forums etc. It just feels wrong to me. I just worry that my ethics are stoping the growth of my channel. Any advice?

Thank you all!

-Lemur

It may help out with your Channel Authority which is a YouTube ranking metric. This, in turn, is going to get your videos in-front of more people.

Basically your channel's metrics.

1. Channel Minutes Watched (total amount of time viewed for all your videos)
2. View Duration (Average View duration of all your videos)
3. Session Starts (Amount of people visiting from external sites)
4. Session Duration (How long they stay on YouTube's platform after watching your videos)
5. Etcetera...

By spam messaging you may be able to increase #1 and #2.

I wouldn't look at this as unethical if you actually take the time to contact people who do actually have similar videos. As long as you add value and are HUMAN about it then I see no issues with the strategy.

However, I'm not sure if this would be the best use of your time... it's worth it to test :) I'd love to hear about the results as well if you do!

Cheers

Last Saturday I had 3 subscribers. I actually made an effort to find other channels in my niche (family fun related) and I sub'd and commented on some of their videos. Today I have 46 subs. So it defeintly works to an extent.

Gotcha. Yea I actually got lucky and a larger (100K + subs) Youtuber is helping me. So maybe that will help. But I still want to know if that works or not.

It works up to a certain level. When you start, unless you have a following on another social platform, you start from zero. The algo ain't going to send you traffic. You won't get any "real" viewers, and by real, I mean people without channels. All your views come from other channels. Everyone is in the same situation. The only way to get views and subs consistently day by day is to engage with other startup channels in your vertical, scratch each other's back so to speak. That's why everyone does it, b/c there's no other way. So it works, but up to a certain point. Certainly for your first 1k subs, perhaps into the 2k range. Once you are in the 1k-2k sub range, your new vids should get 200-500 views out the gate, which in many cases is more than the 100 sub channels that get 10-20 views. So your vids start getting into suggested spots on other 1k-5k channels, and it builds slowly, very slowly, from there. Once you start getting real traffic from real viewers, the sub strategy is pointless as you real traffic far eclipses the sub channel traffic. That's why you don't generally see 5k+ sub channels engaging in it. There are caveats to this strategy, and you need to make yourself aware of them prior to implementing it.

Back