Reddit is not for you to promote your stuff. So, coming at it from a perspective of "I want to use reddit to promote my stuff" is fundamentally flawed.

Reddit is a collection of communities. Each subreddit is a community focused on a particular topic (whether it be a specific video game, video games in general, accounting, engineering, small objects, big objects, funny things, memes, jokes -- if you can think of something, there is probably some subreddit around it.) Redditors ultimately want to see good content relating to their topics of choice (that is, what is relevant to the subreddit).

As a redditor, you should be seeking to post good stuff that is relevant to the particular subreddit's interest.

You ask, "If you get banned for posting your own stuff, then what are you supposed to post?" Well, there's more stuff on the internet than just your stuff! You're supposed to post stuff from a wide variety of sources. Most subreddits follow an informal "90/10" rule...no more than 10% of your posts should be from a particular source. In this case, no more than 10% of your posts should be self-promotion from your channel. You should be active enough posting about other things and other content that that other stuff should be 90% of your posts.

If this does not sound fun to you, then reddit is not for you. That's OK. Some people only want to promote their stuff, but reddit is not for that. Reddit is for if you want to be active and engaged with communities, sharing things that are of interest to those communities. If some of your youtube videos *happen* to be of interest to a particular community, that's great, but you should be actively sharing other content, or else you're going to have a bad time.
This was extremely helpful information and yeah so far I kind of hate Reddit I've been using it a little for the past couple hours just to see if I like it in general posting random stuff, not self-promoting and so far, the rude people are ruining it for me. It seems like Reddit is just completely jam packed with trolls and assholes. Even without them the website kind of seems impossible to use. Why would I want to devote time to posting stuff to a website that has more freaking rules than high schools. The whole website is in my opinion counterproductive. :unsure2:

Well, it is counter-productive because yer supposed to go there and waste time. It's one of those sites that you go to and while away your life with all the memes and stories and whatnot. And trolls add downvoting to that. Reddit is life.

Well i visit reddit everyday and I use it to promote my LP video on some subreddits and I have to admit I never received a dislike (maybe some downvotes but not so much). Maybe it's because I'm active on the let's play subreddit by answering to a lot of posts and posting by myself so I think that is the best thing: promotion without putting links, just by being present, like here on YTTalk!
Maybe the audience retention won't be perfect but I think it's worth a try. But in the end I think about something: ok I receive views but basically the ones who are on that subreddits are content creators themselves so they are not only pure viewers so maybe the don't have the time to watch every single one of my videos. But I think that we need to do all the possible to promote ourself, without spamming of course.

Yeah Reddit is a risky place, but I still take my chances. I suggest you just participate and share content that's not yours until you understand how it works and build some karma up
I agree with this. I make animal videos and there are a lot of subreddits where people are just posting pictures of their dogs and cats so I don't get a lot of hate. However, I have 0% understanding of how one of my post will do well and another one will go absolutely nowhere.

Last edited:
I don't understand what's so confusing about reddit to people.

It's literally like a forum with a ton of subforums, but each thread is a single page instead of being split into multiple pages, replies are nested, and the responses are ordered by amount of upvotes. Oh, and if the opening post to the "thread" is a link, then it links you to that url.

That's literally it. If you're using this forum (which also has rules, which you also can't spam your videos on), having trouble with reddit doesn't make sense. Unless you willfully don't want to understand it (perhaps on a subconscious level).

It's super basic.

The problem with people using reddit is the idea about a site congregation site is to find, share, and discuss a specific topic/specific content in a specific place: unlike traditional forums you don't simply just go anywhere and start casual conversation with everyone as it's not meant to make friends but rather share discussions, information, and arguments around something someone submits.

So when you submit your own content (especially if you're a newtuber or another gaming channel) you run the high risk of being unrelated - whether it be unrelated to the subreddit, the topic, or reddit in general: and trust me when I say people will click through to your video from a reddit post, but most of the time they will do so to downvote it because obvious self-promotion is obvious.

Reddit has trolls and assholes everywhere because everyone is simply their username and the stuff they submit. You wouldn't go on Facebook to a friend's status about new jokes and share some dark humor/offensive joke there: because your face and name and personality will be with it: this is why reddit is best to just submit to the niche newtubers and subforums like that and just hope that someone comes along, shares your video, and gets it to the frontpage.

Reddit has been very useful for me, I've been careful about where I promote and the Subreddits that I use and are completely fine with self promo and I've never had an issue with getting hate> Newtubers, GetmoreviewsYT, Youtube_startups, SmallYoutubers, and vlogger. I've gotten a lot of views and subs from using reddit so I would recommend it :). Google+ communities and have also helped me a lot!

This was extremely helpful information and yeah so far I kind of hate Reddit I've been using it a little for the past couple hours just to see if I like it in general posting random stuff, not self-promoting and so far, the rude people are ruining it for me. It seems like Reddit is just completely jam packed with trolls and assholes. Even without them the website kind of seems impossible to use. Why would I want to devote time to posting stuff to a website that has more freaking rules than high schools. The whole website is in my opinion counterproductive. :unsure2:

i understand if you feel like this -- no one is obliged to use reddit, any other forum, or any other social media venue...but life kinda does have rules. Most places have more rules than high school. That's the price we pay to live in an orderly society.

What I learned is, you have to find the right subreddit. You start posting in r/videos and you'll get downvoted to oblivion. In my case, I find the subreddit that hits the subject of my video. Like I did a video on colombian coffee. I posted on the colombian subreddit and it did quite well. Now on /r/coffee, I got completely ignored.

I've also learned that smaller, more specific subreddits tend to appreciate other folks posts better, so that's where I like to start. Oh and /r/youtubers are fantastic as well.

What subreddit do you use that gets you so many views??

Guitar subreddits for guitar stuff, conspiracy and hippie ones for that kind of stuff on my channel. I don't do anything to do with conspiracy stuff, but one of the authors I've got audio of Robert Anton Wilson is known for talking humorously about conspiracy stuff, and also the subreddit conspiracy has lots of people = more possible viewers. The larger subreddits can get you more views but its harder to get a post noticed on these. There may not be a great amount of watch time for each view but it probably works out as positive in the long run as far as I've experienced.

Back