I've just heard they do it. I spoke to other youtubers on Damnlag who said that happens from time to time. It's pathetic if that's why. Someone downvoted me without appearing to even watch the video, so I think that's what happened.

It's also worth noting that a subreddit for self promotion will most likely be flooded with people dumping links. So the best places to self promote are the places that don't allow it or frown upon it because they don't want link dumping like that to begin with. Really, there aren't too many good places to do that on Reddit. It's better when someone else likes your video enough to share it themselves with no input from you.

Yeah, the dangerous part comes from getting hate due to self promotion. It takes the right subreddit to get views. I have yet to find it. As a matter of fact, going to r/newtubers got me downvoted and I spoke to some friends at Damnlag who warned me that people WILL downvote you just to hurt your promotion so that they can rise above you.
Wow that's crazy rude. People can suck! I understand now.

Yeah Reddit is a risky place, but I still take my chances. I suggest you just participate and share content that's not yours until you understand how it works and build some karma up. Lol my first account got banned cuz they said I was spamming. I've done my research since then. I still believe it's worth investing time because it can be a great place to promote if you know what you're doing. Also remember, it's not just a place to share your videos. For example, I create Free Ebooks that I upload to certain Subreddits which promote my channel. You can also do the same for blogs and other contents.

Reddit is like a snake, if you don't know how to "handle" it, it can bite you. Just make sure you read the rules about self promotion before you post on any sub reddit. I've seen a lot of people rack up on views because of Reddit and I believe it can be useful, as long as you follow the rules.

When I first started out on YouTube, I posted a link to my video on Reddit (NOT reading the rules like I should have) and that video ended up getting like 2 likes and 20 dislikes just because of that. It was a good learning experience though. ALWAYS ALWAYS read the rules, not just on Reddit but anywhere you post. :)

Reddit is like a snake, if you don't know how to "handle" it, it can bite you. Just make sure you read the rules about self promotion before you post on any sub reddit. I've seen a lot of people rack up on views because of Reddit and I believe it can be useful, as long as you follow the rules.

When I first started out on YouTube, I posted a link to my video on Reddit (NOT reading the rules like I should have) and that video ended up getting like 2 likes and 20 dislikes just because of that. It was a good learning experience though. ALWAYS ALWAYS read the rules, not just on Reddit but anywhere you post. :)
That's lucky. 20 views to dislike it lol. I usually just get a downvote.

It depends a lot on your niche, the first time I put up a video on Reddit, it got around 1000 views in 24 hours. It's a little hit or miss. And like I said it depends on your niche (subreddit). But in the right niche you don't need anything to start.

OK, so there are definitely some things from this post that I'm reading that are sending me some red flags that you probably won't have a good time on reddit. For example:

Is using Reddit to promote videos worth it?

and

I literally only made the account to do so and I haven't used it at all yet. If you get banned for posting your own stuff then what are you supposed to post?

These posts suggest a basic misunderstanding of what Reddit is and what it's for.

Reddit is not for you to promote your stuff. So, coming at it from a perspective of "I want to use reddit to promote my stuff" is fundamentally flawed.

Reddit is a collection of communities. Each subreddit is a community focused on a particular topic (whether it be a specific video game, video games in general, accounting, engineering, small objects, big objects, funny things, memes, jokes -- if you can think of something, there is probably some subreddit around it.) Redditors ultimately want to see good content relating to their topics of choice (that is, what is relevant to the subreddit).

As a redditor, you should be seeking to post good stuff that is relevant to the particular subreddit's interest.

You ask, "If you get banned for posting your own stuff, then what are you supposed to post?" Well, there's more stuff on the internet than just your stuff! You're supposed to post stuff from a wide variety of sources. Most subreddits follow an informal "90/10" rule...no more than 10% of your posts should be from a particular source. In this case, no more than 10% of your posts should be self-promotion from your channel. You should be active enough posting about other things and other content that that other stuff should be 90% of your posts.

If this does not sound fun to you, then reddit is not for you. That's OK. Some people only want to promote their stuff, but reddit is not for that. Reddit is for if you want to be active and engaged with communities, sharing things that are of interest to those communities. If some of your youtube videos *happen* to be of interest to a particular community, that's great, but you should be actively sharing other content, or else you're going to have a bad time.

Last edited:
Don't promote your videos on reddit at all. You may get a couple of hundred to a couple of thousand views, but most of them will have low watch time. The views are worthless at that point.

Back