Do You Think Youtube is a Dying Platform

I believe they are evolving and moving channels into making more PG style content. I don't mind swearing, but if you are a business you don't want your product shown next to someone who swears up a storm. It's just bad business. The funny thing was that I stopped swearing and pulled all swearing content off line before it even became a thing. Glad I made that decision. Everyone with a potty mouth I follow is getting hit right now.

As soon as there is an alternative that has decent monetization (all else aside), Yt's existence will be under severe threat. Until that time, they enjoy monopolistic advantages and will likely not be displaced. Lack of monetization on competing platforms is the only factor keeping Yt where it is. If vidme or someone else started paying equivalent CPC tomorrow, they would have exponential growth.

As an aside, any awesome coders on here who want to make a competing video platform?[DOUBLEPOST=1503142295,1503141835][/DOUBLEPOST]
A lot of big channels now have production companies along side them and at least 3+ people running the channel. Newer channels won't have that in the beginning and Youtube does not care to bump up their videos either.

I've noticed that in some of the kids channel that have growth like crazy this year. There's a few adults in Spiderman and other character suits in the videos. Sometimes quite a collection of kids and adults. Definitely easier if you can divide the work among 3-4 adults. More high quality content. A channel with just Mom or Pop and 1-2 kids is/will likely find it hard to compete especially if the 1 person is juggling normal like stuff as well.

The platform is far from dying however there is no 'you' anymore as most people have a production team and the creativity has gone as people just copy each other. Also all the TV shows coming over is good for the site but not for the creators

I absolutely dislike having to copy.. I wish channels would get rewarded for coming up with new ideas.. I feel so uncreative having to copy.. like the kids channels now are mostly skits.. ugh.. I dislike doing them and so do my kids.. but if we do do our own thing.. it's like we get punished..

I absolutely dislike having to copy.. I wish channels would get rewarded for coming up with new ideas.. I feel so uncreative having to copy.. like the kids channels now are mostly skits.. ugh.. I dislike doing them and so do my kids.. but if we do do our own thing.. it's like we get punished..

I completely agree. We have hardly uploaded for the last few weeks, the reason being feeling demotivated that there is little choice but to copy skits. I wish we lived in a world where creativity is rewarded, but alas it is not. Just have to bite the bullet and get back on the bandwagon and do what everyone else is doing. But the fault doesn't lie in creators, it lies in the way the algo is structured. It's a viral-hungry pig designed to identify and encourage and shape what's viral. How else can you explain giant surprise eggs getting 100M-500M views/video for some channels 1-2 years ago (which I asume 2-5 year olds watched), and now 2 years later, those same videos barely scratch 50k. There is a constant supply of 2-5 year old viewers, people keep having kids, there's more devices, and there's no reason why kids today don't like the same thing as 2 years ago, especially 2-5 y.os.. The only thing I can think of is the algo, through it's learning wisdom, directs and forces what is popular, forcing creators to pony up or be out of the game. Right now it's skits. I+kids would rather be doing surprise eggs and toy hunts and giant eggs and play with toys at the moment, but at 20-50k/video, it's a massively losing proposition.

I completely agree. We have hardly uploaded for the last few weeks, the reason being feeling demotivated that there is little choice but to copy skits. I wish we lived in a world where creativity is rewarded, but alas it is not. Just have to bite the bullet and get back on the bandwagon and do what everyone else is doing. But the fault doesn't lie in creators, it lies in the way the algo is structured. It's a viral-hungry pig designed to identify and encourage and shape what's viral. How else can you explain giant surprise eggs getting 100M-500M views/video for some channels 1-2 years ago (which I asume 2-5 year olds watched), and now 2 years later, those same videos barely scratch 50k. There is a constant supply of 2-5 year old viewers, people keep having kids, there's more devices, and there's no reason why kids today don't like the same thing as 2 years ago, especially 2-5 y.os.. The only thing I can think of is the algo, through it's learning wisdom, directs and forces what is popular, forcing creators to pony up or be out of the game. Right now it's skits. I+kids would rather be doing surprise eggs and toy hunts and giant eggs and play with toys at the moment, but at 20-50k/video, it's a massively losing proposition.

Yes, exactly. I would like to just do toy reviews.. but we are pushing through and as tiny as we are and struggling, we have to do what everyone is doing.. even though I feel we are lost in a sea of copy cats just like us..I'm hoping the trends change..I have had a really rough and discouraging week.. just need to get back up again (like the troll Poppy) and keep on going. We are bound to get a break through..

Nope, I think YT is a maturing platform. I see YT like I see tv so I stay away from swearing and nudity (and politics). If I have alot of money, I will bet it all on Google's stock.

Not me unfortunately. The changes with their policies is enough to make me say I've had it. It's a reason why I'm branching out into other avenues like vid.me and Twitch.

I wish we lived in a world where creativity is rewarded, but alas it is not.

If it was, I will be mega rich or famous by now. (I think) I even thought one of a kind items are unique and fetches tons of money like the US bill with the banana sticker that fell in or the rare coins/stamps. Below is a picture of my invention - real life minecraft blocks which is also the last building blocks capable of existing. This could allow minecraft to compete with lego in the real world. But my social media's presence is near zero so like the new youtubers no one listen when I speak.

IMG_0134.JPG

If it was, I will be mega rich or famous by now. (I think) I even thought one of a kind items are unique and fetches tons of money like the US bill with the banana sticker that fell in or the rare coins/stamps. Below is a picture of my invention - real life minecraft blocks which is also the last building blocks capable of existing. This could allow minecraft to compete with lego in the real world. But my social media's presence is near zero so like the new youtubers no one listen when I speak.

View attachment 40934

I can't blame you.

I can't blame you.
Thank you. BTW, another toy (not as good) came to mind but I am not even thinking of bring it to life. I learned my lesson. And I am using another invention's side function to make youtube videos. It's (not really good) competition is a multi-million dollar business. After years of chasing my ideas, I'll probably end up flipping burgers... somewhere. Like doing YT, we are seen by outsiders as skill-less.

No[DOUBLEPOST=1503186434,1503186316][/DOUBLEPOST]
The platform is far from dying however there is no 'you' anymore as most people have a production team and the creativity has gone as people just copy each other. Also all the TV shows coming over is good for the site but not for the creators
Most people don't have a production team at all. A lot of the big channels might but I certainly don't and neither do the majority of channels. Plus there is plenty of creativity to go around and new genres and niches pop up all the time.

Back