Hot Topic Demonetization / "under review" (**DISCUSSION HERE ONLY**)

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I got hit for the first time two weeks ago. It happened 3-4 hours after it went live. I requested the manual review, and within 4 hours, it was back to monetized. I missed a lot of ad views because the first few hours after release are the busiest time for my videos. I usually get several thousand views the first day.

Fast forward to this week, and I got hit again. However, THIS time, I did as YouTube Help has requested and uploaded the video as Unlisted. This is supposed to allow the algorithm to flag the video while it's unlisted so that you can go ahead and get the manual review BEFORE the video goes public and you miss ad views. So, I uploaded it as Unlisted and waited 16 hours before making it Public. The video was not flagged while Unlisted. Within two hours of making it Public, the video was flagged and demonetized. I immediately requested the manual review, and it took a full day - 24 hours - to get it cleared. And I missed 4,000 views worth of possible ad revenue. I make freaking cooking videos. There's nothing "unsuitable" to any advertisers in any of my videos. It's infuriating and incredibly demotivating.

TheMaskedTruth

Reaction score
Yeah, it's to the point now where literally every single video I do get's flagged. Even when every single one is advertiser friendly. Nice going there youtube. The only difference now is I've noticed almost none of my vids get flagged right away but several hours after being uploaded.

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Here's a strange one. For the last 4 days revenue on my most popular videos has fallen off a cliff - from a steady $20-$80 a day to under $1 for the last 4 days.

Only one ad is running on it now, which is to do with the niche it's in, so no big ads, hence the drop in revenue. It seems then the video has been marked as unsuitable for most advertisers. HOWEVER...the icon remains green, so I cannot appeal it! Has anyone else had this?

ShyJosh

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Fun fact, when you search some striptize stuff on youtube, some videos do have ads. :D
But let's take away ads from boogie who talks about depression. :D

Last edited:

scott faulknor

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Had it happen to my newest up load. I just clicked it to get manual review and now its green.

Mr.Human

Reaction score
Hi! Most of my viral videos suddenly went from monetized (green icon) to gray so I can't appeal it at all. It doesn't say I was striked with some copyright claims or whatever, it just went gray and I can't do anything.
Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
I already sent an email to YT Support but it's taking them so long I wanted to ask you guys what might this be.

EDIT: Just checked those videos out and the comments have been removed/closed. What the hell?

Attachments

Mishel-is-ticked

Reaction score
I am so p****d off. I think Youtube is trying to curtail free speech by saying it is not suitable for advertising. My videos start racking up views immediately but it takes so long for them to be reviewed. I have one that has 16k views and has been in review for several days. If I even remotely mention something political I get demonitized. My video about the decorations at the whitehouse was demonitized- maybe because it had the word Whitehouse or maybe it was because it had that nasty word "Christmas" in it. I had a two part video on an interview I did- the first part was monitized and the second one was rejected- does that make ANY sense? It is the same content- no swearing- nothing "adult" but yet it is deemed unappropriate. Meanwhile the pedo channels still have ads.

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Here's a small tip I read somewhere and it has actually worked for me.

I had one video live and 2 pending with the orange icon. I reuploaded the thumbnails for the videos, changing the file name of the thumbnail. Nothing else, literally just one character in the file name.

Hey presto all 3 videos went green and have stayed that way.

Also I had my first video rejected after manual review, after having dozens turned back green. All I can reason why this time is I had the word 'b****' in the thumbnail (with the stars). So be careful with any profanity or suggested profanity.

Hopefully that might help a couple of people!