Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
@UKHypnotist is correct. Celebrity photographers spend a lot of money taking their pictures and they license them in return for payment. It's their job and they will protect their work and expect to be paid for it. They are well within their rights to give a copyright strike. It's the same on blogs. You can't just help yourself to images found on Google images.

Here is a tip for a good source of celebrity photos (and any photo for that matter) which you can use for free so long as you give credit in the description. - Wikipedia. Do a search on Wikipedia for a celebrity, click on the article and then click on a photo that you like. That will take you to a page with all the license information. If it's creative commons or public domain you may use it so long as you give full credit (see below)

Example:

1) Go to wikipedia and search for "Felicity Jones." (British actress) and click on her page -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felicity_Jones
2) As you can see, there are 3 photos of her on that page. Let's click on the first one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felicity_Jones#/media/File:Felicity_Jones_December_2016.jpg
3) On that photo page, click on the blue "more details" button at the bottom of the page. It will take you to the page with all the license info for the photo: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Felicity_Jones_December_2016.jpg

4)On the license info page, click on "use this file on the web" and it will give you all the license info and how to give credit. YOU MUST PUT THE CREDIT EXACTLY AS WRITTEN THERE IN THE DESCRIPTION OF YOUR VIDEO! Example for this image, you would put:

"Felicity Jones December 2016" By D ick Thomas Johnson from Tokyo, Japan [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

That is how to use celebrity photos in YouTube videos.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I have used 'Google images' in some videos for picture slides. Some were flagged. I requested manual review and monetisation granted.
You got lucky on the images you picked out, EVO; plus your manual reviewer must have had access to enough licensing information for the images you used for your slide show to determine you were in fact, able to monetize the video(s) in question.

YouTube used to send out emails calling for commercial use rights and licensing evidence when a video's eligibility for monetization was in question. I believe they still do it on occasion; but when an entire channel seems to be based on licensing-questionable media, I think they may be shooting first and asking questions later, if at all.

Last edited:

Jojie

Reaction score
Hello I hope everyone is having a nice day

Im planning to post videos about celebrities life stories that contain their pictures but with my own voice story telling
I will not monetize it now because my goal is to build the channel in this niche so later I will post my own videos talking instead

Will i run into trouble? And does my usage of those pictures fall under fair use?
I think I will face content claim but would that be dangerous for my channel?

And if I get a copyright strike, can I simply abandon this channel before it gets suspended and open a new one? I dont want to risk being banned because i have a long term project

Help me out please my livelihood depends on this

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hello I hope everyone is having a nice day

Im planning to post videos about celebrities life stories that contain their pictures but with my own voice story telling
I will not monetize it now because my goal is to build the channel in this niche so later I will post my own videos talking instead

Will i run into trouble? And does my usage of those pictures fall under fair use?
I think I will face content claim but would that be dangerous for my channel?

And if I get a copyright strike, can I simply abandon this channel before it gets suspended and open a new one? I dont want to risk being banned because i have a long term project

Help me out please my livelihood depends on this

Hi @Jojie and welcome to the forum. I have merged your thread with this one about the same subject. I suggest you read my post above about this. :)

Jojie

Reaction score
Hi @Jojie and welcome to the forum. I have merged your thread with this one about the same subject. I suggest you read above about this. :)
Hello thank you for your assistance

Would this merge not to overshadow my question tho as it's in the far back of the thread and is a little bit different?

As for your wiki advice, thank u
There is just one little issue, I cant use like 2 or 3 pics in an entire video.. because my videos will be centered around 1 celebrity each time so i need multiple sources and not top10 videos and so

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
in the far back
....it is just page 2... :) :p

A common way is to oversize those two three images and move them around the screen cropped as of giving more details. As seen on slide shows i mean. You can also use b-roll e.g. celebrity visited hollywood, b-roll is a photo of holywood etc. Also you can highlight or insert word or phrase cards. e.g. Divorced!!! New boyfriend!!! And so on...

( welcome! :) )

Reactions: Crown