"Can you check out my channel" Ugh and why this is a bad move to do.

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I used to think the same way. I thought that any way to put my videos out there is worth it. I also had a "greeting" DM set up on my Twitter for some time. I completely stopped using it right after I received a couple of messages that it annoys the s**t out of people. It's no different to "check out my channel" really. And why it's possible to gain some views or even subs through this, it's really not worth it in the long run. It will bring angry people, sometimes even haters, but most of all it will hurt Your audience retention. People just don't like pushing stuff right under their nose, especially if they don't know You.
Ok you say it will bring lots of "angry" people and haters to my Youtube channel well it might of been the case for YOU but for ME after nearly a year of following lot lots lots of people and direct message them to check out my Youtube channel(or new video) it is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT story i have ONLY had VERY FEW "angry" people and haters to my Youtube channel but the MAJORITY of the people that i sent DMs to about checking out my Youtube channel/new video have been very happy to check out my Youtube channel or new video and yeah most of the subscribers that i gained by doing this are ACTIVE subscribers(commenting on my videos about my video and answering to question that i asked in the video and liking, sharing my videos), so they are not dead subscribers, they are very very very far from being dead subscribers!!

And sure getting DM's like asking them to check out my channel/new video (few)people will get annoyed(and block you sometimes) but most times that i had people will be happy or a least kind to check out my Youtube channel/new video and subscribe!!

And since i started following lots lots lots of people and direct message them to check out my Youtube channel(or new video) on Twitter i have over 2.6K subscribers on Youtube by doing this and putting lots of effort and time in to my videos, making my videos the best as possible obviously and as i said in one of my previous posts in this thread if i did not do this and only promoted my Youtube channel/new video on Facebook and Twitter new feed 1/2 times a week i bet i would have only 35/40 people(subscribers) watching my videos on Youtube!!

And i don't take audience retention in to consideration as i said i am getting lot lots lots of people watching my videos and even if my audience retention was high it would not make a difference anyway!!!

Last edited:

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Ok you say it will bring lots of "angry" people and haters to my Youtube channel well it might of been the case for YOU but for ME after nearly a year of following lot lots lots of people and direct message them to check out my Youtube channel(or new video) it is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT story i have ONLY had a few "angry" people and haters to my Youtube channel but the MAJORITY of the people that i sent DMs to about checking out my Youtube channel/new video have been very happy to check out my Youtube channel or new video and yeah most of the subscribers that i gained by doing this are ACTIVE subscribers(commenting on my videos about my video and answering to question that i asked in the video and liking, sharing my videos), so they are not dead subscribers, they are very very very far from being dead subscribers!!

And sure getting DM's like asking them to check out my channel/new video (few)people will get annoyed(and block you sometimes) but most times that i had people will be happy or a least kind to check out my Youtube channel/new video and subscribe!!

And since i started following lots lots lots of people and direct message them to check out my Youtube channel(or new video) on Twitter i have over 2.6K subscribers on Youtube by doing this and putting lots of effort and time in to my videos, making my videos the best as possible obviously and as i said in one of my previous posts in this thread if i did not do this and only promoted my Youtube channel/new video on Facebook and Twitter new feed 1/2 times a week i bet i would have only 35/40 people(subscribers) watching my videos on Youtube!!

And i don't take audience retention in to consideration as i said i am getting lot lots lots of people watching my videos and even if my audience retention was high it would not make a difference anyway!!!
I´m guessing it depends on how you are saying it, if people are like "Hey Check out my channel" and nothing more, more people are likely to get annoyed!

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
if people are like "Hey Check out my channel" and nothing more, more people are likely to get annoyed!
Wrong because for me in my experience i have been doing this and as i said in my last post the MAJORITY of the people that i sent DMs to about checking out my Youtube channel/new video have been very happy to check out my Youtube channel or new video and there is VERY FEW people that got annoyed at me telling them to check out my Youtube channel or new channel!

But i do say thank you to them after they reply back to like "Sure will do", "Subscribed! keep up the great work"!!

Last edited:

Harpuia

That "creepy" guy that makes Youtube videos.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't do that for Youtube comments. That really doesn't look right. I use other forms of social media to bring people into my channel with Twitter being my biggest help. On Twitter, I've only gotten 1 person who outright said no to me, the others were happy to check it out and about 80-85% of them subscribed and at least half of those stick around to watch videos and comment whenever they have the chance. :)

But if you did it on Youtube comments, I've heard you could build a bad reputation and you won't get as good an approval ratio.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Twitter being my biggest help. On Twitter, I've only gotten 1 person who outright said no to me, the others were happy to check it out and about 80-85% of them subscribed and at least half of those stick around to watch videos and comment whenever they have the chance. :)
Exactly!!! I only had VERY FEW people said no or get annoyed but most people were very happy to check out my Youtube Channel/new videos and subscribe and most of my susbcribers that i got by doing this are Active subscribers, they always come back to my videos(especailly when i have a new video out) and comment on my videos which is AWESOME! :)

To be honest i think Twitter is the BEST and EASY WAY to grow your Youtube channel, get noticed and get your self out there especially if you are just starting out on Youtube(and a small Youtuber) and there are lot lots lots of Youtubers are doing this as well!! :)

Reactions: RichGuitarGamer

KarriKat

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
hmmm i think thats why a good photo is good for the video ....so you can seduce with the photo...not your words...

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't agree with this...

YouTube isn't a place where everyone has equal opportunities to grow - its not 2011 lol
If someone for instance messages me with the "check out my channel" guess what? If there logo looks interesting and their channel looks good..im going to click on there video and if that video is great quality ill watch another..and before you know it...

Each to their own I say :)

KarriKat

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't agree with this...

YouTube isn't a place where everyone has equal opportunities to grow - its not 2011 lol
If someone for instance messages me with the "check out my channel" guess what? If there logo looks interesting and their channel looks good..im going to click on there video and if that video is great quality ill watch another..and before you know it...

Each to their own I say :)
;p what?

Bannik13

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
People will check it out if they have a general interest, they don't want to be pushed to do it or urged.

ProjectIG

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I feel as if saying "Check Out My Channel" could possibly work sometimes, but what about those other times? What happens then? It crashes I feel. It makes you look desperate almost. If you have to choose to publicize your channel do it in a subtle way that doesn't/or may not annoy someone, simply for the fact you don't want to loose that persons interest by getting on their nerves. So try finding a subtle way of doing it if you choose to.

~God Bless,
ProjectIG