"Can you check out my channel" Ugh and why this is a bad move to do.

dand963

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Gamer
what is that?
it's a little hard to explain, but from what I understand, they're basically short videos (a series, if you would) that are pretty engaging and generate a lot of traffic into your channel. It's up to you to figure out how to make these kinda videos though.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I don't mind it if the person also gives a good comment and has a REASON to mention their own channel, i.e they have a video on the same topic, or they have made a video response.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

ChristineElisabeth

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it's more annoying when someone comments something along the lines of, "I love your videos. You should have so many subscribers! Sub my channel and I'll sub you."
You obviously could care less about my channel or else you would have subscribed to begin with. I wasn't born yesterday so please stop insulting my intelligence. lol
Another thing that bothers me is when someone comments on my videos spamming the crap out of it by writing a short story about their channel and basically beg me to subscribe.

mercmonster

Asia's Redheaded Step-Child
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
But for me and many other small Youtubers DM people on twitter telling them to check out my Youtube channel(or new video) is the best way to get lots of video views and subscribers and getting(and to grow) your Youtube channel noticed.
There's a downside to this that I don't think you've realized - it's great to gain a lot of views and to have your subscriber count grow, but what matters most, at the end of the day, is audience retention. You want to have as many of your subscribers actually watch your videos, comment, and engage, and not just be subscribed to you because you sent them a DM to, or offered a sub4sub (not saying you did that, but for people who do). There are YouTubers out there who have 5000 subscribers, but they get maybe 100 views, and then 2 comments. You want to maximize your audience retention, keep them coming back, and have them actually participate with you in these videos as people - not as a number.

Riddikore

Overseer of Earth Realm
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ahh man if I checked out every channel that someone asked me to check out, I wouldn't have time to work on my own stuff. Simply posting your video in the right forum is a great way to get eyes on it which someone can then follow through to a channel if they were interested.

Last edited:

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There's a downside to this that I don't think you've realized - it's great to gain a lot of views and to have your subscriber count grow, but what matters most, at the end of the day, is audience retention. You want to have as many of your subscribers actually watch your videos, comment, and engage, and not just be subscribed to you because you sent them a DM to, or offered a sub4sub (not saying you did that, but for people who do). There are YouTubers out there who have 5000 subscribers, but they get maybe 100 views, and then 2 comments. You want to maximize your audience retention, keep them coming back, and have them actually participate with you in these videos as people - not as a number.
You have a good point there, My audience retention is low about 15% i know it is bad, even if it's low/bad.

But I still have lots of subscribers watching my videos and coming back watching my future videos and some of them leave comments on my videos so i am getting likes and comments on my videos and it is great because i love interacting with my subscriberd/viewers. :)

And some of my videos have over 200 views and my other videos have over 100/150 views.

Now i have nearly 300 subscribers(i have 292 subscribers now) on Youtube now.

All so i never ever do sub4sub, i got some people on Twitter saying to can we do sub4sub and i keep rejecting them.

You should really try this yourself if it works for you or not!

As you long you have good enough (great)video content then it will work but if you have bad quality videos then it wont work.

Last edited:

mercmonster

Asia's Redheaded Step-Child
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
You have a good point there, My audience retention is low about 15% i know it is bad, even if it's low/bad.

But I still have lots of subscribers watching my videos and coming back watching my future videos and some of them leave comments on my videos so i am getting likes and comments on my videos and it is great because i love interacting with my subscriberd/viewers. :)

And some of my videos have over 200 views and my other videos have over 100/150 views.

Now i have nearly 300 subscribers(i have 292 subscribers now) on Youtube now.

All so i never ever do sub4sub, i got some people on Twitter saying to can we do sub4sub and i keep rejecting them.

You should really try this yourself if it works for you or not!

As you long you have good enough (great)video content then it will work but if you have bad quality videos then it wont work.
It's good you recognize and are checking your audience retention, Billy! Engaging with your subscribers is definitely a lot of fun, so keep it up :)

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

PureHater

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
hate those people , altough some time it helps them , but still hate them XD

ZombieBrain

Always hungry!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
To be honest I disagree with you because since i set up couple auto DM's on Twitter everytime time i get a new follower they get a Auto DM message saying '' Hey thanks for the follow! :) i make Youtube videos(or cool vlogs/challenges in another Auto DM) check out my channel(link) it be awseome if you could subscribe." and in another Auto DM saying the same thing but instead of telling them to check out my Youtube channel, it will tell them to check out my new video.

And After over 2 weeks of doing this so far i have gained over about 11/15 subscribers i use to have 27/29 subscribers and now i have over 40 subscribers and getting a lot more views on my videos and on my Youtube channel then ever before! and before that for a very long time i was only getting 1/2 subs per month and not getting a lot of views on my videos compared to now...
I used to think the same way. I thought that any way to put my videos out there is worth it. I also had a "greeting" DM set up on my Twitter for some time. I completely stopped using it right after I received a couple of messages that it annoys the s**t out of people. It's no different to "check out my channel" really. And why it's possible to gain some views or even subs through this, it's really not worth it in the long run. It will bring angry people, sometimes even haters, but most of all it will hurt Your audience retention. People just don't like pushing stuff right under their nose, especially if they don't know You.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don´t say "Check out my channel" on peoples videos, I know it annoys it people, and works against me!