Are Gameplay videos pointless for new YouTubers?

There is a lot of competition for gaming channels. But if your willing to work hard, you can make it work. Especially if you have an accent or a very unique style of entertainment to bring to your channel. You'll do just fine. Everything on YouTube is over-saturated, but that is the same for the entire world. You just have to put your own spin on it.

Funny you say that Dougieboy, I have had several people from other nations tell me that they like my videos because of my voice.... Personally I find my commentaries or gameplay talk to be boring ad it's something I plan on improving immediately... But it would seem that others like it... I think it is quite a typically British accent.

All channels begin small and grow. People would of said the same thing about Markiplier, because of PewDiePie and the same about Jackskepticeye about Markiplier. It comes down to a connection with a group of people. Whether it be entertaining through reactions, through playing the trending games, etc. You will find it harder to be noticed but not impossible. At the end of the day, don't look at doing what you're doing to get 1million views, do what you are doing because it's the videos you enjoy making regardless of audience size and I'm confident eventually it'll grow.

hey i just started out doing overwatch content 2 weeks ago and i kid you not, if you put a lot of time and effort in your videos you will gain subscribers, likes, and comments ;) little by little.

Hello my friends and good day to you all.
As the title suggests this is aimed at the Gaming channels out there but having some input and thoughts from the chaps and chapettes on this forum who have non gaming channels would be very helpful and welcome...
who I recently had a chat with a YouTuber with 1000 subs who does game tutorials who swears blind that doing gameplay videos is points and counter productive because and i quote i am 'a small fry' compared to the more established channels... He instead tried convincing me to change my gimmick and instead was advising me to do 'exposed' videos and the like and gave me a 'free bit of scoop' about a youtube who got banned from twitch for whatever reason... needless to say i was abit 'annoyed' at his attitude but it did make me think are gameplays a bad move for a newer youtuber or is it just a grind we have to go through... even with averaging 40-50 views at the moment on my gameplay videos i thoroughly enjoy putting them together and would still do it if i only got 5 views per vid... i have good full time job and don't really do it for the money... what does the community think?...

I think it has to do with how you approach the videos. If you can establish yourself as a figure within a specific community (for example, Super Mario Maker) and are a new YouTuber you could do well. There are a whole bunch of factors that should be looked at when creating a gaming channel. Are you good at the game? Does the community surrounding the game know who you are? Do you have a good personality? Can you put out high quality videos?

If you are all of those and a new YouTuber I think you can be successful with gameplay videos.

Absolutely not. Gaming videos get top priority in YouTube's search algorithm as of the time of this posting. One of the creators I coach went from a few subs a month to 10,000 subs and 1,000,000 views per month after just two months of working with me. All he does is gaming.

The challenge with new creators is that they immediately start trying to compete with bigger channels by posting the same type of content.

That would be similar to me starting a Cola brand and immediately trying to compete with Coke and Pepsi. I'd get crushed.

New creators must focus on serving two types of audiences:

1. Underserved Audience
2. Poorly Served Audience

I shot a video on this concept yesterday if you'd like a bit more detail on how to get this done. [channel link below]

The bottom line is that you need to find a smaller niche market within the bigger gaming market.

Hey. I myself am a small gaming channel. I just got started a little bit ago, but what I personally did is set goals for myself. I focus on my videos not the subs at first. If I got a comment I responded and took what they said to heart (if it was worth taking to heart). The biggest thing that helped me was I found a lack of tutorial videos on a specific topic. I took hold of that void and filled it. Now my first video is going crazy in my terms. I thinks its about pushing though and owning you. People who are successful don't give up at the first sign of trouble they push through. If you have people watching then there is something there. You just need to keep plugging along. And if you are going after a gaming (Let's Play) then try to focus on one game. I have noticed the more I focus on one game I gather that audience. It shows a commitment to them and the game. Once you start to get established. You can expand to other games. As I said though I am still new to the YouTube scene, but it is what I have noticed! I hope it helps!

-Lemur

i have a pretty standard lets play gaming channel, been going for 14 months or so, have over 11k subs and almost 2m views without having a single "viral" video. i think thats pretty successful in a crowded market, making around $500 a month in ad revenue and $400 in patreon, so yes its 100% possible, but more importantly. make content you enjoy

i have a pretty standard lets play gaming channel, been going for 14 months or so, have over 11k subs and almost 2m views without having a single "viral" video. i think thats pretty successful in a crowded market, making around $500 a month in ad revenue and $400 in patreon, so yes its 100% possible, but more importantly. make content you enjoy

How are you promoting your Patreon? $400 is impressive. I'm at 25k subs and only at $26

How are you promoting your Patreon? $400 is impressive. I'm at 25k subs and only at $26

i made a patreon video when i started in a few months ago and a link is in the description of my videos. thats it, my patreon is also different to most, you don't get exclusive content, you don't get early content, nothing exclusive whatsoever as i did not want to exclude anyone, no twitter follows etc. every who becomes a patron gets a thank you and everyone who donates $5 or more gets to go in the credits of the video for as long as they donate, i think people appreciate the lack of exclusivity and are actually more likely to become a patron because of it

Back