Are Gameplay videos pointless for new YouTubers?

Quertier

Reaction score
Hello my friends and good day to you all.
As the title suggests this is aimed at the Gaming channels out there but having some input and thoughts from the chaps and chapettes on this forum who have non gaming channels would be very helpful and welcome...
who I recently had a chat with a YouTuber with 1000 subs who does game tutorials who swears blind that doing gameplay videos is points and counter productive because and i quote i am 'a small fry' compared to the more established channels... He instead tried convincing me to change my gimmick and instead was advising me to do 'exposed' videos and the like and gave me a 'free bit of scoop' about a youtube who got banned from twitch for whatever reason... needless to say i was abit 'annoyed' at his attitude but it did make me think are gameplays a bad move for a newer youtuber or is it just a grind we have to go through... even with averaging 40-50 views at the moment on my gameplay videos i thoroughly enjoy putting them together and would still do it if i only got 5 views per vid... i have good full time job and don't really do it for the money... what does the community think?...

Reactions: Sk Jony

BanterDays

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I had a mate who does gameplay videos and was doing reasonable but got a hit on one video that changed his channel. So I don't believe they are pointless if you become creative and work on things you are good at.
There is no point producing terrible quality videos of gameplay but if you put in effort then there will be some type of reward in the long run.

Sk Jony

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
First time I create gaming channel but I took copyright claim. Then I stop it and choosing some new topic. At the beginning of the channel it hard to maintain and grow channel correctly, but if you done then you're gainer.

Reactions: Quertier

MutantCreeper36

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
if you like to do gameplay then do it the whole point of youtube is to make you happy and entertain others. look at JeromeASF for example he has a fun time every day and all his fans are entertained and just as happy

HalieCakes

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's honestly an input output sorta deal with a gaming channel ( or any, really)...if you enjoy making the videos then stick with it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! :)

GrimPeter

Reaction score
I think almost every genre is pretty saturated at this point. You just have to do something that makes you stick out. I wouldn't do exposed videos if its not what you want to do, because while that may be a trending genre now, I don't think it will be so hot in the future. It is reaching its saturation point as well. Stick with what you like and put in your best effort there. If you're only doing it for views, you will become unhappy in the long run.

Yoursharkfriend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
Honestly I'm thinking of doing more gameplay because people seem to enjoy the one that I posted about Cat Mario. So as long as your having fun and your funny and out your own creative spin then you should grow steadily

Quertier

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, your input and advice is greatly appreciated... and if im honest every single reply was a reply i was kind of hoping for. It clearly means that it was just one guys opinion...

TheBattProductions

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
They're not pointless I think, but you're really competing against a TON of people.

Truthfully, gamer channels are really easy to do (probably the easiest, IMO). Doesn't take a lot of work and you have to separate yourself somehow. Focus on that if you really want to do gaming. Your channel can definitely do well, but you've got to work hard at it and try to make yourself stand out.

Turk-Lvlone

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you enjoy doing those kinds of videos then you should do what you enjoy, however there's a lot of competition out there so you have to also do something that's different. If you do a video on a game that's very popular then you probably won't show up in the search and there's a lot YouTubers who have big subscriber numbers so anyone who's interested in the game will see their content.