Are Gameplay videos pointless for new YouTubers?

Tv Head Greg

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Drama videos only work if you stay in the game. If you miss a scoop, or you miss your audience, then you don't succeed. Gaming channels have a long term appeal because they are more or less timeless.

Think back to your favorite game, and think about playing with a friend. That is what a gaming channel should be.

If you're looking for an example, check out my recent stuff. I post everyday at 1 p.m. CST

Necrovarius

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My cousin gave me some good advice. We both have gaming channels, I focus on games I like, and get goes for the nostalgic retro gaming. He told me to do what you love. I too have a good paying full time job that I will not be quitting anytime soon. By dong something you enjoy, you are having fun. Others will see your passion and follow. Drama might get a bunch of views, but is that what you really want to have? Starting comment wars...

Sorry for the small rant. In short, do what you love. As long as you love doing it and are having fun, there is nothing better!

BrokenGames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
What I've noticed about let's play-oriented channels is that they are -okay- until they do this one game that explodes their channel and they start to grow rapidly and the subscribers stay. Just keep playing games you want to play and that game may very well come. The first Five Nights at Freddy's game was that game for so many people, who knows what the next could be?

Loud Spy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great input from everyone already. I think that if you enjoy making them, then keep doing it! As you improve thumbnails, tags, etc you will attract more people, and those who enjoy your style might stick around.

It's already been pointed out, but try and find a way to show that your are unique. I also think that every video I make, I get better at making videos, so it's never a loss!

Epythamus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Gameplay videos are more of a bargain for new Youtubers. The video might get a good amount of views in a short time, or it might get 100 views in a month.
Though, I recommend you to gain some fame first, because it is no fun to upload a 30-40 minutes long video just harbor a small amount of views.
Always take the safe route, wanderer.

King Christo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do not listen to people who say you cannot do something!! Proove this chap wrong kiddo!! Honestly I am not having much fun with gaming and dont much anymore, bt if you like gaming GAME TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT and upload. When you become famous then you can get your payback. Teehee

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You could literally insert any genre of video in this title; "Are X videos pointless for new YouTubers?" - the answer is always no. Do what you want to do, regardless of if people think you should do it. If you want to do gaming, do gaming!

Quertier

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen I thank you all for the rede given, it has been pretty much unanimously agreed that the chap whose poor advice that caused me to bring this issue to the forum in the first place wa clearly talking complete and utter s***e... I thank you all once again.