Allow me to gaze upon your channel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey love the work you are doing.

I have just recently started a YouTube channel where I share my hobby of singing.

Would love it if you could check it out.

Cheers

Greetings everyone! Although I am new to YTTalk I'll be more than happy to check out any of your channels and offer my advice and honest critiques about them. A fresh pair of eyes just might be what your channel needs.

There are no stirct guidelines. Your channel can be about anything, target any demographic and be of any size. I'll offer my constructive criticisms regarding content, branding, art or technical issues.

Shall we begin?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_u3jpRmz9crf7YLzmDiriA

I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a look at my channel as well. It's in the signature below. This is really great what you're doing and I'm glad you're so willing to give back to the community. If you're interested in a collaboration or anything just let me know and we would love to help as well.

Hello,
Would anyone be willing to review and critique my channel? My channel is a soccer related channel and I am looking for some tips on how to improve my videos and/or my descriptions/tags of my videos.

...That's one hell of a backlog! Alright, let's do this!

@LegitHuman

Thanks for popping by! I definitely would like to critique your video but it's currently set to private. As soon as you make it public I'll be more than happy to provide my critique.

@KnightTerroors

From what I've heard, you've definitely got potential however you still have a long way to go to really nail your production quality. Before I continue take a look (and listen) at this channel by @Mithril, as she (an earlier content creator whose channel I've critiqued) is your direct competition for your chosen channel direction - https://www.youtube.com/user/MithrilAudio/videos

Compare your content to hers. What is she doing that you're not doing? What is it that she has that you don't have? I'm sure you already understand what you need to do but I'll still point it out.

Right off the bat, you need to invest in a high quality condenser microphone and pop filter. Your microphone at the moment sounds like a low-quality headset mic, due to the amount of breaths I'm hearing after every sentence and the massive amounts of distortion in the overall recording. A high quality condenser microphone will help give clarity to your vocals and the pop filter will help to remove the plosives from hard consonants (Ks, Bs, Ps etc).

If you decide to invest in a microphone, you still need to know how to utilise it to get the best possible audio recording. In your audio editing program of choice (before you start your vocals), hit record and stay silent for about 10 seconds. This is called 'room noise' or 'room tone'. Even if you think your room is completely dead silent, there are still vibrations and frequencies that your microphone will pick up. When you have your room noise sample, you can then begin your recording in full. After you finish, highlight the 10 seconds of room noise and in your editing program of choice (Audacity, Audition etc) and go through the menu until you find something resembling the phrase 'Capture Noise Sample'. Once that's done, dig through the menu once more to find 'Noise Reduction'. If done correctly, the 'room noise' will be completely removed from your main recording, ensuring nice crisp audio as you can hear in @Mithril 's videos.

My final critique is about your voice acting. Voice acting isn't just about reading lines off a page, it's about trying to convey the emotions, feelings and personalities using nothing but your voice. Stage/Film actors have a far easier job as they have their body language, facial expressions, makeup and costumes in their tool box. A voice actor simply has their voice.

In your video I can tell all you're doing is reading lines off a page. There is no emotion, no enunciation, no personality to convey the feeling or mood of your story. Compare that to @Mithril - in her latest video 'The Why' she speaks fast and almost robotic/inhuman to convey the idea of a mad scientist. In her video 'Disturbing Art', she changes her voice and tone to match who is talking within the story. For your future videos, read through your story several times and work out (before you start recording) what the tone of the story is and try to work out ways to best convey it. Pace yourself, take your time and if you have to, record one line at a time to make sure you absolutely nail it.

As a tip, what you could also try to do is incorporate sound effects and music to add another layer to your audio recordings. Example, with the 'heavy steps' in your story, instead of yelling 'BANG, BANG', actually use some heavy step sound effects. If you do decide to incorporate sound effects, make sure it's mixed so it doesn't overpower your vocals.

As I mentioned, you've definitely got potential. Invest in better equipment but most of all, learn how to voice act. Listen to what others have done in the past or perhaps read up on it. Learn from them and try to incorporate their techniques into your own videos. Good luck!

@Sibernethy

It definitely puts things into perspective. I don't speak full Croatian (despite growing up around the language) so at best I'm only good for greetings. I understand where you're coming from with your audio, however it's good to hear that you understand what you need to do.

I hope you succeed with your channel. You truly deserve it.

@MZ-101

Hey! Good to see you here again, old friend!

Did I already mention how much I like your new channel header? If not, I really like your new channel header! :)

The one aspect I've enjoyed about critiquing your channel is watching how far you've improved and continue to improve with every video. Your last 3 videos are exceptional not just in terms of editing but in terms of you finally finding your voice. With our previous conversations in this thread, you mentioned how you've tried to change your vocals or tried to change yourself to appeal to a wider demographic. You also mentioned that you didn't enjoy that and would rather be yourself. These latest 3 videos prove without a shadow of a doubt that you are far more comfortable and confident in your own voice than any of your previous videos and it completely shows. The videos are both entertaining and informative and best of all, is a perfect expression of you and your passion.

My recommendation at this point is to work on your outro/"call to arms". It drags on quite a bit and is mostly unneccessary. Instead of saying '...and if you dislike the video then I don't give a f***...' and '...please watch this video to get a bit of context...' etc etc, end your videos in a sharp, punchy and exciting way. Try this and modify it as need be to make it your own/in your own voice.

"Thank you very much for watching! Please leave a like, a comment or subscribe to the channel if you'd like to see more! This has been MZ-101 and I'll see you later!"

Overall I like what you're doing with your latest videos and it's certainly paying off. Keep it up, man!

@Jacadamia

To be honest, the only critique I can offer you is with your audio. It's obvious you haven't got a high quality microphone and considering you're going to college, I don't think you'll be able to save up some cash to invest in one any time soon. Right now you're peaking and distorting the audio whenever you raise your voice which is a little distracting, although it can be used to comedic effect if done right.

Overall I like what I'm seeing. You spent a month on making the video and it shows. With the exception of the audio, it's really well put together, entertaining to watch and your art style complements the script writing. You're currently using a storyboard/keyframe/slideshow technique but personally I'd like to see what you can do with some full on, frame-by-frame animation. What I'm trying to get at is that you have some amazing potential to succeed on YouTube and I'd like to see more from you!

Good luck with college and keep making videos! The more you make, the better you'll get! Furthermore, since you're doing animation, you can use your YouTube channel as a portfolio to show potential clients/employers how much you've improved over time as well as developing your animation techniques.

@Kyra Adler

In a majority of your vlog videos, you keep reaching towards the camera to start and stop your recording. It implies that rather than cutting your videos together in editing software, you're using the camera. It's a clever and cheap way of editing videos but compared to your competition, it's extremely amateur, unprofessional and won't make you stand out at all.

For future videos (if possible), keep your camera rolling until you finish your video; all your mess ups, bloopers, everything. When you bring your video files into your editing program of choice, simply use the 'Razor Blade' tool in the timeline to cut out all the pieces that you need and delete the rest. From there, you bring what's left on the timeline together to make one cohesive video and add in your music as needed. It's something incredibly simple to do but those hard cuts will make your videos look more professional as opposed to reaching for the camera after every sentence.

Another issue I've noticed is that for a vast majority of your videos, the clips themselves don't fill the entire frame of the YouTube window. You're still filming in a 16:9 aspect ratio and viewers can select to watch your videos in full 720p (1280 X 720 pixels) or 1080p (1920 X 1080), however in your editing software it seems you're not making sure that you stretch or match the size of your final render. Example, it appears you're making a new composition in 1920 X 1080 but you're throwing in your clips in 1280 X 720. Going forward you need to make sure that the clips in your timeline are stretched to fit the entire frame that you've selected. If you're making a video in 1920 X 1080, make sure your clips are actually 1920 X 1080.

In terms of audio, it's clear that you're relying on the on-camera microphone which, while servicable, is not great for vocals. It's picking up a lot of room/background noise and because you sit relatively far from the camera, your voice needs to travel further. Due to that distance, your vocals aren't as clear as they could be. If possible (it'll be hard since you're still going to school), try to save up and invest in either a shotgun microphone for your camera or a lavalier/lapel microphone that you can wear on your shirt. With either of those two microphones, you're able to isolate your vocals while reducing the amount of background noise seeping into your recordings, giving your audio more clarity.

Branding wise your channel isn't unique at all. I've seen the exact same image in your channel header as another channel earlier in this thread. All of your visual assets need a complete overhaul. Your channel is primarily a vlogs channel, so 'you' are technically your brand. Images of you in your avatar and channel header will go a long way to solidifying what your channel is to your potential viewers.

While your thumbnails do show images of you (a plus for your visual brand), they are nothing more than mere screenshots/screengrabs that YouTube automatically captures when processing/uploading a video. There is nothing unique about the thumbnail design and when looking at the images without seeing the title of the videos, viewers have no idea what the contents of the videos will be. When thinking about your visual brand, a font/typeface and 1-2 colours are a great starting point and are elements you can use consistently in all of your visual assets. Choose a font/typeface and 1-2 colours that you like and best represents you/your personality and use them in your channel header and thumbnails for headings/video titles.

You've definitely improved over 2 years but there's still more to do before you can truly find success with your channel. Work on what I've pointed out and you should see an increase in traffic to your channel. Best of luck to you!

@Tintel

Branding wise I haven't got much to add except for your thumbnail design. Your avatar and channel header are solid and consistent but none of those elements (colours, font/typeface and style) made it into your thumbnail. Going forward, make sure you keep your visual brand consistent across all of your visual assets.

The biggest issue with your channel is with your audio. The mic gain/volume is incredibly low which will cause your viewers to turn up their speaker volume. If they go to another video, chances are they'll blow their ears out or their speakers. In the future, make sure you mix your audio so that your vocals are as close to the red line (before peaking) as possible. A vast majority of videos on YouTube are mixed this way so that from video to video, the discrepancy is minimal which gives viewers a more comfortable experience.

One final point on your audio - I'm hearing a lot of popping due to the plosives in your voice (Ps, Bs, Ks and other hard sounding consonants). If you haven't, invest in both a high quality condenser microphone and a pop filter. The pop filter will help reduce the plosives popping your audio.

That's pretty much it. It's a decent start but work on what I've pointed out and keep making videos. Good luck!

@Pedro Nascimento

Apart from the audio issue you mentioned with your latest video, there honestly is nothing more I can add. Your channel is absolutely rock solid! Your videos are edited extremely well, your thumbnail design is spot on and your visual brand is simple yet striking.

Keep up the great work, my friend, and keep making more videos!

@Charlie Blackwell

On first impressions, your branding is all over the place. Currently you've got about 5 different fonts/typefaces; some are similar but others are wildly different in style and tone. The key to good branding is to make sure that all elements across your visual assets are consistent. You've chosen 3 major colours (blue, purple, green) which is a great start, now you need to make sure you select a font/typeface that best represents your brand/yourself and stick with it.

I love the enthusiasm and excitement you exude in your videos. What you lack in equipment you make up for in personality. If you ever want to make a career out of YouTube, start saving up poket money/cash right now so that you can invest it in better equipment for your future. What you need most is either a shotgun mic for your camera or a lavalier/lapel microphone that you can wear on your shirt to help isolate your vocals and remove some of the background noise and echo that currently exists in your videos.

Overall it's a great start to your channel. You've definitely got potential so keep making videos and have fun doing it! Best of luck to you!

@joannavlogs

A lot of what I would normally recommend to content creators doesn't really apply to you, since a lot of your vlogs are shot completely hand held. It's a bit tough to recommend a stabilising rig or a shotgun/lavalier/lapel microphone since any additions to your hand held camera would add more weight and become completely unwieldy for one person operation.

What I can advise you to do is to keep an ear out for music that you add in your videos. In your 'MEET (some of...) MY FAMILY' and 'DIY MAGNETS!' videos for example, the music is a little too loud compared to your vocals. You do reduce the volume but not enough for your voice to be extremely clear. For future videos, keep in mind that you need to ensure that when speaking, the music volume is low enough that it doesn't impact the clarity of your speech while still being audible.

A lot of your thumbnails use the exact same font/typeface which is great! Use that as the basis of your brand. Apply it to your channel header to help the overall consistency of your visual branding.

That's all I've got for you. Keep making videos and have fun doing it! Good luck!

@Ermelin

Of course I'm still doing reviews, although as I'm sure you can see just from this post alone that I've got a lot to go through. Nevertheless, I do get around to everyone.

You should consider using the custom Youtube 'Home' page so that you gain access to the 'Channel Trailer' space. It's a quick and easy way to promote your latest videos and give your potential viewers a glimpse into the kind of content that exists on your channel.

Your channel header is simple and effective. Having 'daily vlogs' listed as the subtitle helps tremendously in letting viewers know exactly what your channel is about. Well done with that! I recommend that you incorporate the font/typeface used in your channel header into your thumbnails. For example, create a triangle in the bottom left hand corner of your thumbnail and then apply some text which will act as a video heading/title that uses the same font/typeface as your channel header. It'll give your overall channel some consistency and help strengthen your visual branding.

Similar to @joannavlogs above, I can't exactly suggest investing in a shotgun/lavalier/lapel microphone since attaching anything to your current camera would just make it unwieldy. Not to mention that you've got a lot of little hungry mouths to feed. Any money that you could invest in better equipment should be used for your kids.

Baring that in mind, there really isn't anything I can advise you on. Perhaps you could add some royalty free music in the parts of your video where you're not speaking and are just putting montage clips together. In those moments, you can also edit your videos in time to the beat of the music. That's pretty much all I've got for you. I'm glad to see that you're still making videos after all this time and it's clear that you enjoy doing it. Keep it up!

@Rahul_Ashok231

What you really need to do for the future of your channel is to invest in a high quality condenser microphone with a pop filter. At the moment I can hear a lot of room noise/tone seeping into your recordings which isn't great for showcasing your vocal talents. Also consider investing in acoustic treatment for your room or a portible recording studio/reflection filter to help give your vocals a more professional touch.

In terms of the videos themselves, having cropped images that don't fit the entire YouTube frame looks incredibly cheap. I completely understand that visuals aren't as important with an audio heavy channel such as yours however if you were to look at other audio channels on YouTube, they do a lot to make their videos visually appealing to look at. They use visual elements like waveforms or screen shakes that match the beat of the music. There are places you can use like https://photodune.net or https://videohive.net where you can find stock photos or stock videos that you can use for your content. Be aware that these options will cost money so it's entirely on your budget.

Once more, what you really need to concentrate on is saving up enough money to invest in a kick-a** microphone. As long as you nail your audio, you can afford to take a hit on your visual branding. Good luck!

@Lior Potolsky

Not a bad start to your channel. It's abundantly clear you've got an excellent microphone setup since your voice is crisp and clear and you've got some nice camera and lighting equipment. Production wise I've got nothing to advise you on since you know exactly what you're doing in that area. Well done!

In your latest video you did mention that you were thinking of adding in background music which is not a bad idea. You should also consider a 2 camera setup or alternating between 2 different zooms/angles. Here's a trick you can do. Record everything with the camera in one position. Throw all the clips together in the timeline and make all the cuts you need to make. Next, take every 2nd clip and if you have After Effects (or if your editing program of choice allows you to), increase the size of the video by 10% (default is 100% so increase it to 110% for both height and width). It'll increase the size just enough to look different while not distorting the image too intensely. Since the clip is larger than the frame, you're able to reframe your shot. That simple trick will give the impression of a 2 camera setup without actually having 2 cameras and will cover up the edits far better than cutting to the same shot.

That's all I've got for you at the moment. Keep making videos and good luck!

@KJisHere

Good job on keeping the same font/typeface for your entire channel. You're using that as the basis of your brand and you're using it consistently. Well done with that.

Content wise you need to save up some money and invest in a shotgun microphone for your camera or a lavalier/lapel microphone that you can wear on your shirt. You're relying on your on-camera microphone which, while servicable, isn't great for vocals. A lot of background noise and room tone creep into your recordings which is distracting to listen to. A high quality microphone will help to eliminate that as much as possible.

Going forward you also need to be more confident or at the very least have some sort of script or an idea on what you're going to say. You stumble around your words quite a lot which in turn drags out what it is you want to say. Researching acting tips will help out in this regard but most of all you just need to be confident in front of the camera. The more videos you make the better you'll get so keep at it.

Best of luck to you!

@Jrgaming

Your visual branding is rock solid which is fantastic to see. I've got no suggestions or advice for you in this regard.

You should consider using the custom YouTube 'Home' page to gain access to the 'Channel Trailer' space. It's a great way to promote your latest videos and give your potential viewers and idea of what to expect from your channel.

Content wise you need to invest in a high quality condenser microphone and pop filter. You're currently using a headset microphone as I can hear a lot of popping and a lack of clarity in your voice. Getting a high quality microphone will help isolate your voice and help to reduce the amount of background noise that can creep into your audio.

That's about it. Save up some money and invest in a higher quality microphone. Best of luck to you!

@Ozisonshine

Your thumbnail design is absolutely spot on and well designed. Excellent work! My biggest criticism is that you haven't applied those elements into your channel header or avatar. Having a logo or some of those paint splotches will help give your overall visual brand some much needed consistency.

The concept behind your channel is quite interesting. Not quite product reviewing but still showing how the toys hold up in a real world setting. Like several channels in this post, I can't exactly recommend that you invest in a shotgun/lavalier/lapel microphone or stabilising rig, as you tend to shoot a lot of your footage hand held by yourself. Adding any extra equipment will just increase the amount and weight you have to carry around and become almost unwieldy for a single operator.

In the videos where your shoot indoors I can see you're using a tripod which helps give your shots stabilisation. In those particular videos you should think about adding in more lights as it looks quite dim and muddy. A simple rule of filmmaking - if it looks like you have enough light, add more light. Having more lights will brighten the image and help knock out those harsh shadows.

Other than that, keep up the good work. It's an interesting concept behind your channel and I hope you find success with it. Good luck!

@Jbarker91

Branding wise your channel is rock solid. Thumbnails are consistent with the same font/typeface and are well designed. Considering your channel is a vlogs channel you've made sure to include images of yourselves to help solidify that brand. Excellent work with that!

Content wise my only advice is to keep an ear out for your audio mix. A lot of your videos have the music slightly louder than the clips of you talking which is a little distracting. I frequently have to turn up my speakers and then turn them down again when the music kicks in. For future videos just make sure to keep everything level and to ensure that the music you use isn't completely overpowering.

That's pretty much it. I can't suggest any equipment as a lot of your stuff is shot hand held by yourself. Any additional equipment would require you to carry more weight or get other people involved in producing your videos. What you've got now works so keep it up! Best of luck to you!

@JC6 Sports

Branding wise your channel looks incredibly plain and boring. All of your thumbnails are lazily designed and don't really stand out from your competition. They are consistent so I'll give you points for that but overall they don't exactly excite potential viewers to check out your content. Your channel is dedicated to soccer so try to create a logo representative of that. For design inspiration you can check out this site: https://logopond.com .

Make a new logo, choose a unique font/typeface that best represents your channel and select 1-2 colours that you can use as the basis of your brand. Apply them to all of your visual assets - channel header, avatar and thumbnails. For thumbnails specifically, take photos or create images that best represents what it being shown in the video. If you're reviewing bags, shin pads or shoes, show them in the thumbnail.

Right now the music you use for your videos completely overpowers everything else in your videos. For future videos, mix your audio so that it's level - bring up your vocal volume and bring down the music volume.

That's pretty much it. Work on your visual branding and make sure to mix your audio correctly. Keep making videos and good luck with your channel.

...That's one hell of a backlog! Alright, let's do this!

@LegitHuman

Thanks for popping by! I definitely would like to critique your video but it's currently set to private. As soon as you make it public I'll be more than happy to provide my critique.

@KnightTerroors

From what I've heard, you've definitely got potential however you still have a long way to go to really nail your production quality. Before I continue take a look (and listen) at this channel by @Mithril, as she (an earlier content creator whose channel I've critiqued) is your direct competition for your chosen channel direction - https://www.youtube.com/user/MithrilAudio/videos

Compare your content to hers. What is she doing that you're not doing? What is it that she has that you don't have? I'm sure you already understand what you need to do but I'll still point it out.

Right off the bat, you need to invest in a high quality condenser microphone and pop filter. Your microphone at the moment sounds like a low-quality headset mic, due to the amount of breaths I'm hearing after every sentence and the massive amounts of distortion in the overall recording. A high quality condenser microphone will help give clarity to your vocals and the pop filter will help to remove the plosives from hard consonants (Ks, Bs, Ps etc).

If you decide to invest in a microphone, you still need to know how to utilise it to get the best possible audio recording. In your audio editing program of choice (before you start your vocals), hit record and stay silent for about 10 seconds. This is called 'room noise' or 'room tone'. Even if you think your room is completely dead silent, there are still vibrations and frequencies that your microphone will pick up. When you have your room noise sample, you can then begin your recording in full. After you finish, highlight the 10 seconds of room noise and in your editing program of choice (Audacity, Audition etc) and go through the menu until you find something resembling the phrase 'Capture Noise Sample'. Once that's done, dig through the menu once more to find 'Noise Reduction'. If done correctly, the 'room noise' will be completely removed from your main recording, ensuring nice crisp audio as you can hear in @Mithril 's videos.

My final critique is about your voice acting. Voice acting isn't just about reading lines off a page, it's about trying to convey the emotions, feelings and personalities using nothing but your voice. Stage/Film actors have a far easier job as they have their body language, facial expressions, makeup and costumes in their tool box. A voice actor simply has their voice.

In your video I can tell all you're doing is reading lines off a page. There is no emotion, no enunciation, no personality to convey the feeling or mood of your story. Compare that to @Mithril - in her latest video 'The Why' she speaks fast and almost robotic/inhuman to convey the idea of a mad scientist. In her video 'Disturbing Art', she changes her voice and tone to match who is talking within the story. For your future videos, read through your story several times and work out (before you start recording) what the tone of the story is and try to work out ways to best convey it. Pace yourself, take your time and if you have to, record one line at a time to make sure you absolutely nail it.

As a tip, what you could also try to do is incorporate sound effects and music to add another layer to your audio recordings. Example, with the 'heavy steps' in your story, instead of yelling 'BANG, BANG', actually use some heavy step sound effects. If you do decide to incorporate sound effects, make sure it's mixed so it doesn't overpower your vocals.

As I mentioned, you've definitely got potential. Invest in better equipment but most of all, learn how to voice act. Listen to what others have done in the past or perhaps read up on it. Learn from them and try to incorporate their techniques into your own videos. Good luck!

@Sibernethy

It definitely puts things into perspective. I don't speak full Croatian (despite growing up around the language) so at best I'm only good for greetings. I understand where you're coming from with your audio, however it's good to hear that you understand what you need to do.

I hope you succeed with your channel. You truly deserve it.

@MZ-101

Hey! Good to see you here again, old friend!

Did I already mention how much I like your new channel header? If not, I really like your new channel header! :)

The one aspect I've enjoyed about critiquing your channel is watching how far you've improved and continue to improve with every video. Your last 3 videos are exceptional not just in terms of editing but in terms of you finally finding your voice. With our previous conversations in this thread, you mentioned how you've tried to change your vocals or tried to change yourself to appeal to a wider demographic. You also mentioned that you didn't enjoy that and would rather be yourself. These latest 3 videos prove without a shadow of a doubt that you are far more comfortable and confident in your own voice than any of your previous videos and it completely shows. The videos are both entertaining and informative and best of all, is a perfect expression of you and your passion.

My recommendation at this point is to work on your outro/"call to arms". It drags on quite a bit and is mostly unneccessary. Instead of saying '...and if you dislike the video then I don't give a f***...' and '...please watch this video to get a bit of context...' etc etc, end your videos in a sharp, punchy and exciting way. Try this and modify it as need be to make it your own/in your own voice.

"Thank you very much for watching! Please leave a like, a comment or subscribe to the channel if you'd like to see more! This has been MZ-101 and I'll see you later!"

Overall I like what you're doing with your latest videos and it's certainly paying off. Keep it up, man!

@Jacadamia

To be honest, the only critique I can offer you is with your audio. It's obvious you haven't got a high quality microphone and considering you're going to college, I don't think you'll be able to save up some cash to invest in one any time soon. Right now you're peaking and distorting the audio whenever you raise your voice which is a little distracting, although it can be used to comedic effect if done right.

Overall I like what I'm seeing. You spent a month on making the video and it shows. With the exception of the audio, it's really well put together, entertaining to watch and your art style complements the script writing. You're currently using a storyboard/keyframe/slideshow technique but personally I'd like to see what you can do with some full on, frame-by-frame animation. What I'm trying to get at is that you have some amazing potential to succeed on YouTube and I'd like to see more from you!

Good luck with college and keep making videos! The more you make, the better you'll get! Furthermore, since you're doing animation, you can use your YouTube channel as a portfolio to show potential clients/employers how much you've improved over time as well as developing your animation techniques.

@Kyra Adler

In a majority of your vlog videos, you keep reaching towards the camera to start and stop your recording. It implies that rather than cutting your videos together in editing software, you're using the camera. It's a clever and cheap way of editing videos but compared to your competition, it's extremely amateur, unprofessional and won't make you stand out at all.

For future videos (if possible), keep your camera rolling until you finish your video; all your mess ups, bloopers, everything. When you bring your video files into your editing program of choice, simply use the 'Razor Blade' tool in the timeline to cut out all the pieces that you need and delete the rest. From there, you bring what's left on the timeline together to make one cohesive video and add in your music as needed. It's something incredibly simple to do but those hard cuts will make your videos look more professional as opposed to reaching for the camera after every sentence.

Another issue I've noticed is that for a vast majority of your videos, the clips themselves don't fill the entire frame of the YouTube window. You're still filming in a 16:9 aspect ratio and viewers can select to watch your videos in full 720p (1280 X 720 pixels) or 1080p (1920 X 1080), however in your editing software it seems you're not making sure that you stretch or match the size of your final render. Example, it appears you're making a new composition in 1920 X 1080 but you're throwing in your clips in 1280 X 720. Going forward you need to make sure that the clips in your timeline are stretched to fit the entire frame that you've selected. If you're making a video in 1920 X 1080, make sure your clips are actually 1920 X 1080.

In terms of audio, it's clear that you're relying on the on-camera microphone which, while servicable, is not great for vocals. It's picking up a lot of room/background noise and because you sit relatively far from the camera, your voice needs to travel further. Due to that distance, your vocals aren't as clear as they could be. If possible (it'll be hard since you're still going to school), try to save up and invest in either a shotgun microphone for your camera or a lavalier/lapel microphone that you can wear on your shirt. With either of those two microphones, you're able to isolate your vocals while reducing the amount of background noise seeping into your recordings, giving your audio more clarity.

Branding wise your channel isn't unique at all. I've seen the exact same image in your channel header as another channel earlier in this thread. All of your visual assets need a complete overhaul. Your channel is primarily a vlogs channel, so 'you' are technically your brand. Images of you in your avatar and channel header will go a long way to solidifying what your channel is to your potential viewers.

While your thumbnails do show images of you (a plus for your visual brand), they are nothing more than mere screenshots/screengrabs that YouTube automatically captures when processing/uploading a video. There is nothing unique about the thumbnail design and when looking at the images without seeing the title of the videos, viewers have no idea what the contents of the videos will be. When thinking about your visual brand, a font/typeface and 1-2 colours are a great starting point and are elements you can use consistently in all of your visual assets. Choose a font/typeface and 1-2 colours that you like and best represents you/your personality and use them in your channel header and thumbnails for headings/video titles.

You've definitely improved over 2 years but there's still more to do before you can truly find success with your channel. Work on what I've pointed out and you should see an increase in traffic to your channel. Best of luck to you!

@Tintel

Branding wise I haven't got much to add except for your thumbnail design. Your avatar and channel header are solid and consistent but none of those elements (colours, font/typeface and style) made it into your thumbnail. Going forward, make sure you keep your visual brand consistent across all of your visual assets.

The biggest issue with your channel is with your audio. The mic gain/volume is incredibly low which will cause your viewers to turn up their speaker volume. If they go to another video, chances are they'll blow their ears out or their speakers. In the future, make sure you mix your audio so that your vocals are as close to the red line (before peaking) as possible. A vast majority of videos on YouTube are mixed this way so that from video to video, the discrepancy is minimal which gives viewers a more comfortable experience.

One final point on your audio - I'm hearing a lot of popping due to the plosives in your voice (Ps, Bs, Ks and other hard sounding consonants). If you haven't, invest in both a high quality condenser microphone and a pop filter. The pop filter will help reduce the plosives popping your audio.

That's pretty much it. It's a decent start but work on what I've pointed out and keep making videos. Good luck!

@Pedro Nascimento

Apart from the audio issue you mentioned with your latest video, there honestly is nothing more I can add. Your channel is absolutely rock solid! Your videos are edited extremely well, your thumbnail design is spot on and your visual brand is simple yet striking.

Keep up the great work, my friend, and keep making more videos!

@Charlie Blackwell

On first impressions, your branding is all over the place. Currently you've got about 5 different fonts/typefaces; some are similar but others are wildly different in style and tone. The key to good branding is to make sure that all elements across your visual assets are consistent. You've chosen 3 major colours (blue, purple, green) which is a great start, now you need to make sure you select a font/typeface that best represents your brand/yourself and stick with it.

I love the enthusiasm and excitement you exude in your videos. What you lack in equipment you make up for in personality. If you ever want to make a career out of YouTube, start saving up poket money/cash right now so that you can invest it in better equipment for your future. What you need most is either a shotgun mic for your camera or a lavalier/lapel microphone that you can wear on your shirt to help isolate your vocals and remove some of the background noise and echo that currently exists in your videos.

Overall it's a great start to your channel. You've definitely got potential so keep making videos and have fun doing it! Best of luck to you!

@joannavlogs

A lot of what I would normally recommend to content creators doesn't really apply to you, since a lot of your vlogs are shot completely hand held. It's a bit tough to recommend a stabilising rig or a shotgun/lavalier/lapel microphone since any additions to your hand held camera would add more weight and become completely unwieldy for one person operation.

What I can advise you to do is to keep an ear out for music that you add in your videos. In your 'MEET (some of...) MY FAMILY' and 'DIY MAGNETS!' videos for example, the music is a little too loud compared to your vocals. You do reduce the volume but not enough for your voice to be extremely clear. For future videos, keep in mind that you need to ensure that when speaking, the music volume is low enough that it doesn't impact the clarity of your speech while still being audible.

A lot of your thumbnails use the exact same font/typeface which is great! Use that as the basis of your brand. Apply it to your channel header to help the overall consistency of your visual branding.

That's all I've got for you. Keep making videos and have fun doing it! Good luck!

@Ermelin

Of course I'm still doing reviews, although as I'm sure you can see just from this post alone that I've got a lot to go through. Nevertheless, I do get around to everyone.

You should consider using the custom Youtube 'Home' page so that you gain access to the 'Channel Trailer' space. It's a quick and easy way to promote your latest videos and give your potential viewers a glimpse into the kind of content that exists on your channel.

Your channel header is simple and effective. Having 'daily vlogs' listed as the subtitle helps tremendously in letting viewers know exactly what your channel is about. Well done with that! I recommend that you incorporate the font/typeface used in your channel header into your thumbnails. For example, create a triangle in the bottom left hand corner of your thumbnail and then apply some text which will act as a video heading/title that uses the same font/typeface as your channel header. It'll give your overall channel some consistency and help strengthen your visual branding.

Similar to @joannavlogs above, I can't exactly suggest investing in a shotgun/lavalier/lapel microphone since attaching anything to your current camera would just make it unwieldy. Not to mention that you've got a lot of little hungry mouths to feed. Any money that you could invest in better equipment should be used for your kids.

Baring that in mind, there really isn't anything I can advise you on. Perhaps you could add some royalty free music in the parts of your video where you're not speaking and are just putting montage clips together. In those moments, you can also edit your videos in time to the beat of the music. That's pretty much all I've got for you. I'm glad to see that you're still making videos after all this time and it's clear that you enjoy doing it. Keep it up!

@Rahul_Ashok231

What you really need to do for the future of your channel is to invest in a high quality condenser microphone with a pop filter. At the moment I can hear a lot of room noise/tone seeping into your recordings which isn't great for showcasing your vocal talents. Also consider investing in acoustic treatment for your room or a portible recording studio/reflection filter to help give your vocals a more professional touch.

In terms of the videos themselves, having cropped images that don't fit the entire YouTube frame looks incredibly cheap. I completely understand that visuals aren't as important with an audio heavy channel such as yours however if you were to look at other audio channels on YouTube, they do a lot to make their videos visually appealing to look at. They use visual elements like waveforms or screen shakes that match the beat of the music. There are places you can use like https://photodune.net or https://videohive.net where you can find stock photos or stock videos that you can use for your content. Be aware that these options will cost money so it's entirely on your budget.

Once more, what you really need to concentrate on is saving up enough money to invest in a kick-a** microphone. As long as you nail your audio, you can afford to take a hit on your visual branding. Good luck!

@Lior Potolsky

Not a bad start to your channel. It's abundantly clear you've got an excellent microphone setup since your voice is crisp and clear and you've got some nice camera and lighting equipment. Production wise I've got nothing to advise you on since you know exactly what you're doing in that area. Well done!

In your latest video you did mention that you were thinking of adding in background music which is not a bad idea. You should also consider a 2 camera setup or alternating between 2 different zooms/angles. Here's a trick you can do. Record everything with the camera in one position. Throw all the clips together in the timeline and make all the cuts you need to make. Next, take every 2nd clip and if you have After Effects (or if your editing program of choice allows you to), increase the size of the video by 10% (default is 100% so increase it to 110% for both height and width). It'll increase the size just enough to look different while not distorting the image too intensely. Since the clip is larger than the frame, you're able to reframe your shot. That simple trick will give the impression of a 2 camera setup without actually having 2 cameras and will cover up the edits far better than cutting to the same shot.

That's all I've got for you at the moment. Keep making videos and good luck!

@KJisHere

Good job on keeping the same font/typeface for your entire channel. You're using that as the basis of your brand and you're using it consistently. Well done with that.

Content wise you need to save up some money and invest in a shotgun microphone for your camera or a lavalier/lapel microphone that you can wear on your shirt. You're relying on your on-camera microphone which, while servicable, isn't great for vocals. A lot of background noise and room tone creep into your recordings which is distracting to listen to. A high quality microphone will help to eliminate that as much as possible.

Going forward you also need to be more confident or at the very least have some sort of script or an idea on what you're going to say. You stumble around your words quite a lot which in turn drags out what it is you want to say. Researching acting tips will help out in this regard but most of all you just need to be confident in front of the camera. The more videos you make the better you'll get so keep at it.

Best of luck to you!

@Jrgaming

Your visual branding is rock solid which is fantastic to see. I've got no suggestions or advice for you in this regard.

You should consider using the custom YouTube 'Home' page to gain access to the 'Channel Trailer' space. It's a great way to promote your latest videos and give your potential viewers and idea of what to expect from your channel.

Content wise you need to invest in a high quality condenser microphone and pop filter. You're currently using a headset microphone as I can hear a lot of popping and a lack of clarity in your voice. Getting a high quality microphone will help isolate your voice and help to reduce the amount of background noise that can creep into your audio.

That's about it. Save up some money and invest in a higher quality microphone. Best of luck to you!

@Ozisonshine

Your thumbnail design is absolutely spot on and well designed. Excellent work! My biggest criticism is that you haven't applied those elements into your channel header or avatar. Having a logo or some of those paint splotches will help give your overall visual brand some much needed consistency.

The concept behind your channel is quite interesting. Not quite product reviewing but still showing how the toys hold up in a real world setting. Like several channels in this post, I can't exactly recommend that you invest in a shotgun/lavalier/lapel microphone or stabilising rig, as you tend to shoot a lot of your footage hand held by yourself. Adding any extra equipment will just increase the amount and weight you have to carry around and become almost unwieldy for a single operator.

In the videos where your shoot indoors I can see you're using a tripod which helps give your shots stabilisation. In those particular videos you should think about adding in more lights as it looks quite dim and muddy. A simple rule of filmmaking - if it looks like you have enough light, add more light. Having more lights will brighten the image and help knock out those harsh shadows.

Other than that, keep up the good work. It's an interesting concept behind your channel and I hope you find success with it. Good luck!

@Jbarker91

Branding wise your channel is rock solid. Thumbnails are consistent with the same font/typeface and are well designed. Considering your channel is a vlogs channel you've made sure to include images of yourselves to help solidify that brand. Excellent work with that!

Content wise my only advice is to keep an ear out for your audio mix. A lot of your videos have the music slightly louder than the clips of you talking which is a little distracting. I frequently have to turn up my speakers and then turn them down again when the music kicks in. For future videos just make sure to keep everything level and to ensure that the music you use isn't completely overpowering.

That's pretty much it. I can't suggest any equipment as a lot of your stuff is shot hand held by yourself. Any additional equipment would require you to carry more weight or get other people involved in producing your videos. What you've got now works so keep it up! Best of luck to you!

@JC6 Sports

Branding wise your channel looks incredibly plain and boring. All of your thumbnails are lazily designed and don't really stand out from your competition. They are consistent so I'll give you points for that but overall they don't exactly excite potential viewers to check out your content. Your channel is dedicated to soccer so try to create a logo representative of that. For design inspiration you can check out this site: https://logopond.com .

Make a new logo, choose a unique font/typeface that best represents your channel and select 1-2 colours that you can use as the basis of your brand. Apply them to all of your visual assets - channel header, avatar and thumbnails. For thumbnails specifically, take photos or create images that best represents what it being shown in the video. If you're reviewing bags, shin pads or shoes, show them in the thumbnail.

Right now the music you use for your videos completely overpowers everything else in your videos. For future videos, mix your audio so that it's level - bring up your vocal volume and bring down the music volume.

That's pretty much it. Work on your visual branding and make sure to mix your audio correctly. Keep making videos and good luck with your channel.

Thanks for the feed back ill get designing on a new banner and logo now and thank you for recommending the website. ill also lower the song volume in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back