Allow me to gaze upon your channel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - would love feedback on my channel. I interview spiritual teachers, and have been looking at gender, ecology and spirituality intersections these days. :)

@call.me.oli

Branding wise I like what I see but you can definitely improve upon it. The font/typeface you've selected works well, although the way you've got them positioned and styled in your thumbnails makes it hard to read. Putting a black box behind the text (or a black box with about 65-80% transparency) will create enough seperation between the text and the background for easy reading. Having the text the same size throughout and in the same position will give some much needed consistency across your thumbnails.

With your channel header, I like the image you've selected although it's significantly low quality which looks terrible. I can see a lot of artifacting and to make things worse, the text you've implemented into the image is cropped. When uploading an image to use as a channel header, YouTube will give you a recommended resolution size of 2560 x 1440 pixels. What it doesn't tell you is that particular resolution gets cropped depending on which device you're looking at it from. Your channel header from your PC looks different to your mobile, tablet, TV etc.

There are 2 different resolutions you can use to help with this issue - 2048 X 1152 pixels and 2560 X 423 pixels. The first resolution is classed as the 'minimum width'. For reference, the first value (2048) is always your width and the second value (1152) is always the height. This is the lowest width you can use to ensure that nothing gets cut off when looking at your channel from different devices. The second resolution is classed as the 'maximum width'. The height value is a lot smaller but that ensures the 'safe area' (where all your text/information is in the header) is always visible no matter what, while allowing the background image to 'expand' and 'contract' (showing more or less) depending on what device you're looking at it from.

The important part to remember is that despite these 2 resolutions, you should always upload your channel art in 2560 x 1440 pixels. It can be a bit confusing at first but it will make sense in the long run. In your image editing program of choice, create a new file at the max resolution (2560 X 1440) and from there you create a box within the image at one of the 2 different resolutions. That box will act as your guide; anything in the box will always be visible and anything outside the box are non-essential visual elements that will change per device.

Moving on to your content, it's great to see how much you've improved in such a short time. At the start your videos had very minimal editing and were all shot handheld, while your 2 latest videos are higher in quality. Well done!

There's 2 pieces of advice I can offer to improve your videos even more. The first comes down to your camera. I've noticed that you've got your camera set to auto focus which is distracting to look at. You move around quite a lot; faster than the camera can keep you in focus. Going forward I recommend that you set your camera to manual focus and try to stay the same distance away from your camera (which you already do).

My second piece of advice comes down to your audio. This advice is mostly for your future if you decide you want to make a career out of YouTube and is one that will cost you a bit of money that you may not be able to afford right at this moment. I recommend you save up and invest in either a shotgun microphone for your camera or a lavalier/lapel microphone that you can hide under your shirt. Right now your audio has a lot of background noise and reverb which is due to you using the on-camera microphone. Having a professional, high quality shotgun or lavalier/lapel microphone will help focus the audio to just your voice and eliminate everything else around it.

It's a good start for 3 weeks worth of work and I'm happy to see how far you've improved in such a short time. Keep it up and best of luck!

@coda281

It's never tough to provide critique.

What you need most is a striking brand for your channel. Your avatar is a funny photo of you and your boyfriend, your thumbnails are just screencaps from the videos themselves and your channel header is a photo that has absolutely nothing to do with anything on your channel. Visually it's an inconsistent mess but it's very easy to solve.

I want you to take a look at this website for logo and branding ideas - https://logopond.com . Find something that you like or stands out to you most and study it; why does it catch your attention? Once you've worked out why that particular logo/brand works, try incorporating those elements into your own logo design. Choose a unique font/typeface, 1-2 (maybe 3; you don't want too many) colours of your choice and work out the overall style of your brand. What I essentially want you to create is a 'style guide' - a point of reference that dictates how things should look on your channel.

When you have your new logo, colours and font/typeface that makes up your brand, apply those elements to all of your visual assets on your channel. For example, the title of the video can be written in the same font/typeface across all your thumbnails and positioned in exactly the same way for some nice consistency. Take a look at some of your favourite channels and see what they do to get some inspiration.

Content wise what you've got now is pretty good. Your first videos reminds me of the old 'Whose Line is it Anyway?' skit. What you really need for your videos to improve are some good quality microphones. Since you've got you and your boyfriend in your videos, I'd recommend you save up some money and invest in 2 wireless lavalier/lapel microphones and an external microphone recorder. Keep in mind that this recommendation is not cheap so think of this advice as something to keep in mind months, if not years down the track. Very much like Oli above, your audio has a noticeable hum; background noise and reverb is creeping into your recordings. Having a professional microphone will help isolate the sound to just your voice, resulting in something much more crisp, clean and easy to listen to.

Overall it's not a bad start. There's definitely potential from what I can see so keep working hard to succeed. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your feedback! We have since started working on the branding and common theme across the channel. The background photo is still in the works but i am excited about how it is all coming together!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Are you some sort of a superhero? :laugh2:
Seriously though if you haven't drained all your powers yet, I'd also very much appreciate fresh eyes on my channel.

Oh damn that's a big backlog. Alright, let's do this!

@Hazlenuts

Content wise I'm really impressed with the quality of your videos, especially with your opening and ending skits. The shots you use and the way you edit the videos is spot on. The vlog content within the 'Hard Workin Dog' and 'World's Longest Stay' videos however is subpar in comparison to the rest of your content as you're filming on a GoPro handheld. The way you handle the camera causes a lot of feedback on the microphone and the shots themselves are quite unstable and shaky. The only way to really solve that issue is to get someone else (your girlfriend or a mate of yours) to film you with a stabilising rig but that really depends on your budget and whether or not you're able to get help.

The biggest issue with your channel thus far comes down a lack of consistency with your font/typeface use. Out of all of your videos, only one thumbnail actually has the same font as what you use within the channel header and even then, it's treated in a different colour. Going forward, make sure that all of your thumbnails (and avatar) use the exact same font/typeface and treated in the exact same way as what you have in your channel header. If the text becomes hard to read, you can create enough seperation between the background and text by making the stroke around the text larger. This will help give your channel some much needed consistency.

That's all I've got for you. Keep up the great work and best of luck to you!

@FoodForGoodMood

I'll concentrate on your latest 2 videos since they're the most recent and show potential for a clearer direction for your channel.

With your 'Curried Sweet Potato & Spinach Rosti' video, the sound effects you use in the introduction showcasing the ingredients is way too loud and distracting. The same can be said about the audio in the video itself and with the audio in the 'Coco Oatcakes' video. I can hear a lot of background noise from the general room you're cooking in along with what I believe to be an air conditioner.

If you want to have audio while cooking, I recommend investing in a shotgun microphone as it'll help isolate the noise to focus on what it's pointing at. The problem of course is that you'll need an extra person helping you out. The only other option is to invest in a microphone stand to hold the mic in position. This suggestion is entirely dependent on your budget. The other other suggestion with your audio is to make sure that you mix the audio in such a way that you don't peak it. At the moment the blender sounds are so overpowering that I can hear a lot of distortion.

Right now your channel is lacking a consistent visual style and brand. I like your logo sting with the stop-motion animation and it's a shame that it's not used for your channel header. Furthermore, you've got nice images of the dishes that are being cooked within the thumbnails but you haven't incorporated your logo into them to show potential viewers that the content belongs to you.

I like what I see and I can definitely tell you've got potential. Work on your audio and work on a more consistent branding for your channel and you should see some growth. Good luck!

@Kenneth Bok

Content wise you need to invest in a high quality condenser microphone and pop filter. Right now there's a lot of echo and background noise in your videos due to the poor acoustic treatment in your room and the fact you're using your webcam/camera microphone. Having professional, high quality audio equipment can help reduce the amount of background noise and give your voice more clarity. Furthermore, if you record at least 10 seconds of room noise (microphone on, press record, stay silent), you can use that as a sample to help remove those frequencies from your audio in your recording program of choice.

My only other criticism for your content is that in your recent 7 videos, the videos themselves aren't filling the entire YouTube frame (16:9 aspect ratio). You need to remember that almost all devices now, whether it be traditional monitors, TVs, laptops, mobiles or tablets, every device is being made in a 16:9 aspect ratio. Having your videos below that (closer to 4:3) means that when viewers watch your content, it's not taking up the entire space of their device. It shouldn't be that big of a deal but in my experience, viewers react quite negatively when content isn't making use of every square inch of their screens. They perceive the content to be unprofessional and cheap.

Branding wise, I'd like to see your logo and font/typeface being used within your thumbnails. It'll help give your channel some much needed consistency.

You've got a decent number of subscribers and a lot of your content gets a phenomenal amount of views. You're definitely on the right track. All you need to do is work out a few kinks in your production as I've pointed out and you're good to go. Best of luck to you!

@majesticeaglesasquatch

Content wise you need to save up some money and invest in a high quality condenser microphone and pop filter. I'm hearing a lot of background noise in your audio which professional grade equipment can help reduce. Your audio is definitely a lot better than your earlier videos but it still needs some improvement.

What you really need to work on most is your commentary, especially with the 'IS IT WORTH IT| Lead and Gold' video. In that particular video, you sound down, depressed, uncaring, monotone and worst of all, completely lacking in confidence. You can't really expect your viewers to react positively to your video if you're speaking like this:

"This... this is a video where I... where I play games and find out if it's worth it... I guess?"

If you need to, have a bit of a script in those particular videos or at the very least a list of points that you can talk about. Going forward you need to be more confident within yourself as the more confident you are in your own ability, your commentary will reflect that. It shouldn't turn out like the example I wrote above, but more akin to:

"This is where I play games and find out - 'Is it worth it?'"

Confident, succinct, powerful, punchy. Your viewers will react more positively to that. A final note on your commentary - I've noticed in a few of your videos (example: 'The Escapists | Part 9 | Fatigue is Painful') that you do the 'I want to yell but can't as I've got parents/people here so I'll whisper really loudly to give the impression I'm yelling" technique. It doesn't work and never has worked. If you want to yell, yell. If you want to scream, scream. When you do what you've done (and you're not the only one), you're not fooling any of your viewers. People know exactly what's going on and it sounds absolutely fake. To solve that issue, you need to organise time with the people around you so that you have say an hour or two where they won't disturb you when you go all out for your videos.

In terms of your brandings, there's a lack of consistency. You've definitely got a bit of consistency with your CS:GO videos but the font/typeface you use in exclusively for that and nothing else on your channel; not your avatar or even your channel header. Going forward to need to work on a solid, consistent brand that you can utilise for all of your content. A logo, unique font/typeface and 1 or 2 colours (no more than 3) are three simple aspects you can use as the basis of your brand. To get a few ideas and some inspiration, you can check out this site: https://logopond.com

I can see that you're definitely improving over time. Work on what I've pointed out and keep making videos and you should see not only an improvement with yourself but with the growth of your channel as well. Good luck and have fun!

@Sibernethy

Hey, kako ste?

Right off the bat I like that you've got some consistency with your brand. You've got a drawn/cartoon image of yourself for your avatar (which is great) which you also use within your thumbnails and you've got the colours red and green as a consistent colour scheme. Well done with that! The simple gradient backgrounds and the standard font/typeface you use within your thumbnails could use a bit of work though. It comes off incredibly cheap in comparison to the art used within the channel header.

For each individual series/playlist ('Thief Sillybuggers', 'Ao Oni', 'Adventures of Don' etc) you should choose a location for each element - episode number, heading, game etc - and stick with it. You should also change the font/typeface and overall style to better reflect the content within the video while still using your cartoon avatar and logo for consistency. For example, for 'Thief Sillybuggers' you can have the episode number in the bottom right hand corner and the title in the top right hand corner, leaving the entire left side of the thumbnail for screenshots or art. For your 'Ao Oni' series, you can have the episode number in the top right hand corner and the heading in the top left hand corner, leaving the bottom 2/3rds of the thumbnail for art. At the moment, there is some slight consistency but overall the titles, episode numbers and headings are all over the place and change per thumbnail even if it belongs in the same playlist.

Audio wise you definitely have a decent microphone, although you should still consider investing in a pop filter. I can hear a lot of audible 'popping' which is caused by the plosive consonants like Ps, Bs etc. It's far more noticable within your vlog style videos but nevertheless, having a pop filter or moving the microphone further away from your mouth will help reduce the popping.

I completely admire your stance when it comes to making videos; it mimics my own thought process. Unfortunately we live in a day and age where statistics, analytics and ad revenue rule all. It becomes almost discouraging to the point where several content creators in this thread were on the verge of giving up. I'm in the same position as you - make the content you want to make and bugger what everyone else thinks. As long as you keep that mindset you'll do fine.

That's all I've got for you at the moment. You've got a good head on your shoulders and you've got great potential. Work on what I've pointed out and keep making videos. More importantly, have fun doing it!

@Ebliar-Nevo

You've got a decent microphone setup which is always good to hear. All you really need to work on is your channel branding. Your avatar, channel header and thumbnails have absolutely no relation or cohesiveness with each other at all. I will give you props with your 'Fallout 4' thumbnails, they are consistent which is fantastic however, there's nothing in those thumbnails that indicates those videos belong to you.

What you need, just as I've suggested above, is a logo, unique font/typeface that best represents you/your content and 1-2 colours that you can use as the foundation of your brand. You can then use those elements within your avatar, channel header and thumbnails to give a more professional look to your channel and give it some much needed consistency.

Work on your branding and you're good to go. Best of luck to you!

@Factually True

Haven't been drained yet. Slower than I once was due to my workload increasing but still dishing out advice where I can.

I was going to comment that you should place the microphone further away from your mouth but you did just that with your latest video. Continue doing that for your future content as you don't 'pop' the microphone as often and you're much clearer to understand.

My only critique for your content is to avoid using clip-art images and simple MS Paint drawings and instead invest some money in some royalty free stock images. https://photodune.net/ and https://shutterstock.com are two of many sites to get some nice, professional quality images to use for your videos. Your videos are extremely well edited and produced and using these stock images will help increase that quality further.

I like what I see and you're definitely on the right track. Keep making videos and have fun doing it! Good luck!

@ELZ

You need to work on your audio mixing. In some of your videos ('MINECRAFT LETS PLAY EP#8 FIGHTS IN PUBLIC.' for example) the mix is perfect; your logo sting/introduction isn't overpowering compared to your commentary. If you compare that to 'HOW TO GET OVER 100 SUBSCRIBERS ON YOUTUBE!! FAST 2016!!', the logo sting is significantly louder compared to everything else. Your latest video audio wise is definitely much better than all of your previous content, however you can still reduce the volume/gain of the intro so it's not so overpowering.

I can tell you've got a decent microphone based on your latest video which is fantastic! That being stated, you should still invest (if you haven't already) in a pop filter to help knock out those plosives in your speech so it doesn't pop the audio. If you do have a pop filter, move the microphone further away from your mouth.

The only other aspect you really need to work on is your branding. There is very little consistency between your avatar/channel header and your thumbnails. You're using the same font/typeface and the same colour (red) which is great but there is still no way for potential viewers to know that the content belongs to your channel. Trying to implement the cartoon demon image into your thumbnails can work but I recommend you create a new logo from scratch while using the colours red and white as a base. You can check out https://logopond.com for some inspiration on good logo/branding design. With that new logo, you can place it in one area across all of your thumbnails (bottom right corner for example) for some much needed consistency. On the topic of consistency, make sure that you text, episode number etc are positioned in the same place.

Work on your brand, tweak the audio mix slightly and you're good to go. You've definitely improved a lot since you first started and the more videos you create, the better you'll become. Keep it up!

Haven't been drained yet. Slower than I once was due to my workload increasing but still dishing out advice where I can.

My only critique for your content is to avoid using clip-art images and simple MS Paint drawings and instead invest some money in some royalty free stock images. https://photodune.net/ and https://shutterstock.com are two of many sites to get some nice, professional quality images to use for your videos. Your videos are extremely well edited and produced and using these stock images will help increase that quality further.

I like what I see and you're definitely on the right track. Keep making videos and have fun doing it! Good luck

Thanks a lot for the excellent feedback!
As of right now I'm not really in a place where I can invest even a bit of money to my videos but I'll definitely look into that in the future. A pop-filter is also high on my list of stuff that I should buy, luckily they're not that expensive :D Keep up the great reviews, you're really helping people out here!

I completely revamped my channel, please take a look at it (also I only have one video up right now but if you're willing to give another review in a few weeks or so that would be great :>)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back