Brandon Nankivell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
A subscription link in the description...?
You do realize that in every video directly above the description is your avatar and a big red button to subscribe if you're not already subscribed, right?

The rest is all standard good advice (with some subject to preference; I personally hate people verbally asking for subs and likes and won't do it myself).
Yo! Thank you for the feedback :) Yes, I realize. The reason I do this is because I'm modelling similar successful channels in my niche. ASAPScience is an example of a channel that does this. It's an extra CTA (call-to-action) if a viewer somehow misses the giant red button or decides a little later that they want to subscribe. It's definitely not one of the 'big tips' however, the way I see it is that at the very least it can't hurt.

In regards to verbally asking people to subscribe, I somewhat agree, especially if it feels like a desperate plea. "Pleaaaseee subscribe to my channel GuYz!!! Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!" (That's over the top, but you get what I mean haha). A gentle reminder at the end of the video AFTER providing excellent value seems a positive move to me. ASAPScience is yet again another example of a successful channel that does this and I love modelling success! Of course there will be a select few that hate it with passion no matter how much value you've give or how anti-desperate you seem.

Thanks again for your feedback, happy tubing!

Brandon Nankivell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I was doing most of what you had written but the SEO stuff was new to me so I will defiantly use this! Do you have any sources backing up your claims that "Include your keyword in the first sentence, Etc."

Thanks for writing this will help a huge amount of people!
You're welcome!

Here are some sources to backup my claims:

1. 6 YouTube Tips to Improve Your Search Rank by Thomas Martin
Thomas provides an excellent example of a video that has optimized a keyword by putting it into the first sentence of the video. He includes the keyword multiple times in the description. You can see that he ranks #2 in search results for the keyword.

2. YouTube SEO: The Ultimate Guide by Brian Dean
Brian is a huge player when it comes to SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Here's a direct quote from him regarding optimizing descriptions.

"Your videos description is VERY important.

Because Google and YouTube can’t “listen” to videos, they rely on your text description to determine your video’s content.

Here are the basic guidelines for the description:

• Put your link at the very top of the video (this maximizes CTR to your site)
  • Include your keyword in the first 25 words
  • Make the description at least 250-words
  • Include your keyword 3-4 times
This SEO-optimized description helps tell Google and YouTube what your video is about without being spammy."

3. 5 SEO Tools You Need To Use Before Publishing A YouTube Video by Ann Smarty
Another general overview of the importance of optimizing video descriptions. Here's a direct quote.

"The title and description play an important part in both the YouTube search and "related videos" algorithms, and the more relevant and optimized they are, the more chances your videos have of being visible to your target audience."

So there's a few of many sources. It not only applies to YouTube but to most search engines including Google, Bing, Yahoo etc... I'm not allowed to post links but feel free to search for the articles on Google if you want to look into them further.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Thank you for those subreddits man, and the tip to see what subredits any Youtuber uses. I've been searching for ages. Do you have any tips on how not to get banned by posting so many videos on reddit? Or is it okay to post 10 in a day as long as it's in different subreddits?

Brandon Nankivell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Thank you for those subreddits man, and the tip to see what subredits any Youtuber uses. I've been searching for ages. Do you have any tips on how not to get banned by posting so many videos on reddit? Or is it okay to post 10 in a day as long as it's in different subreddits?
I sure do:

Tip 1: Read The Guidelines For Each Subreddit
The guidelines for each subreddit can be found on the right-hand side of the page. Read them. Smaller subreddits generally have less rules but still check them. Abide by their rules.

Tip 2: Do Your Due Diligence
What I mean by this is to use commonsense. If you're posting 10 videos in 1 particular subreddit within 24-hours, that's spammy. Reddit and Redditors won't like you. On the flip-side, posting 10 videos in 10 DIFFERENT subreddits within 24-hours - that's fine in my experience. Especially if some of your posts are getting upvotes. Reddit likes that.

TopScienceFacts

I've Got It
Reaction score
I sure do:

Tip 2: Do Your Due Diligence
What I mean by this is to use commonsense. If you're posting 10 videos in 1 particular subreddit within 24-hours, that's spammy. Reddit and Redditors won't like you. On the flip-side, posting 10 videos in 10 DIFFERENT subreddits within 24-hours - that's fine in my experience. Especially if some of your posts are getting upvotes. Reddit likes that.
I also do that, with 10 videos in one day, but that is still breaking reddit rules! The rule is 1/10 ratio of your own content / Other posts.

I have been reported 5 times now, and each one I haven't been banned! That's because my account is 3 years old and I comment, Upvote and upload other things that arn't my own creation

Brandon Nankivell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I also do that, with 10 videos in one day, but that is still breaking reddit rules! The rule is 1/10 ratio of your own content / Other posts.

I have been reported 5 times now, and each one I haven't been banned! That's because my account is 3 years old and I comment, Upvote and upload other things that arn't my own creation
Indeed I'm sure it helps being active on Reddit, not just uploading stuff constantly. I neglected to mention my account is several years old also and I comment here and there :)

Owlins

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Most of the tips are really great and I already use a lot of them. The only one that you should ABSOLUTELY NOT use is:

Include competitors names as tags
  • This works best with related channels that have a similar amount of subscribers as you do. If one of your competitor's channel's name is 'Fisher Academy', then use that as a tag. This will help you show up on the Sidebar when viewers watch your competitor's videos.
This does not help your channel and Youtube can actually tell when you are using other tags that include other channel names or users.

Other than that though, great guide :)

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Cheers Chris I appreciate, I'm glad you've found value in it. I checked out your channel, I love the niche you're in! You've got a beautiful looking channel with some great content and an uplifting personality. I can see you've read some great books too. Just subbed. You'll go far dude!
Thank you very much for the encouraging compliments dude, it means a lot coming from someone who is clearly hustling hard and knows what is good and what isn't :). You'll go super far as well man, with the kind of mapping out that you have done you have clearly stepped it up a notch compared to a lot of other channels and this will drive you a very long distance.

I noticed that in your latest videos, you tagged your channel in your tags as 'OnePercentBetter' instead of 'onepercentbetter' like in your old videos. Is there a reason for this? Does having capital letters or lower case letters in tags matter? I noticed this in a lot of successful channels as well that they always alternate between the two, not sure if it is intentional or not. I know this question is super picky haha but like you, I want to milk this as much as possible. Thank you so much again for the awesome info!

Last edited:

Party of Two

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Most of the tips are really great and I already use a lot of them. The only one that you should ABSOLUTELY NOT use is:

This does not help your channel and Youtube can actually tell when you are using other tags that include other channel names or users.

Other than that though, great guide :)
Yeah I thought this was true also. Aren't you meant to just include Keywords that are relevant to the video itself?

Reactions: Brandon Nankivell

TheAlphaJayShow

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm currently working on getting my 1k subscribers. I'll definitely use some of these tips.

Really liking the part where you don't just say to optimize but actually go out of your way to explain and show how.